SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonativegal

Trying to Get a 'Fair' Rate Adjustment from Bank

gonativegal
15 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am often times more a lurker then a poster but DH & I are in need of some good advice.

Currently, we have a mortgage with TCF Bank with a fixed rate of 9.2 percent which I think is really lousy. Although, I'm still counting my blessings that it could be worse like an ARM with a much higher rate.

Anyhow, we're trying to get a rate adjustment on our house for somewhere between 6.5 to the low 7's. The bank is really giving us the run around. Back in September we had originally wanted to refinance to a lower fixed rate & lower mortgage term of 20 years (we currently are at 27 years left on the life of it) but we discovered that our original loan officer passed us off to a different woman without telling us and then this lady took it upon herself to change the term to 40 years after taking our check for the appraisal. On the third set of paperwork she then took my husband off the loan altogether which made us furious so we decided to try for a rate adjustment. Supposedly, the best they can do is 7.84 percent fixed which I think is still rather high.

We currently owe 115K on the house, it appraised for 176K and we have not been late even once on our mortgage in the last 3 years. Our combined credit score through Transunion

is 680 which is decent so I don't see what the problem is.

To date I've spoken with several people at TCF's corporate office and left a voicemail with the regional manager for the consumer loan division of the branch I've been dealing with. Is 6.5 to 7 percent too much to ask for? And are there any other tricks to negotiating with them to get them to lower the rate.

I'm going to try reaching the regional manager again in the next day or two. However, I've been told by a couple of folks from corporate, in confidence, that he may be quite nasty especially since I didn't follow through with original consumer loan manager at the bank where the loan originated. I left her two detailed voicemails but she never returned my calls.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions