SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vettin

Facourite restaurant recipes?

vettin
14 years ago

Restaurant recipes are posted a number of places, but usually only register with people who are local and have heard of the restaurant.

Any favourite tried and tested recipes that you can post links to please?

Thanks!

Comments (42)

• sheshebop
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Most of us here prefer our own recipes to restaurant knock-off recipes. I can't think of any restaurant recipe that I prefer to my own. Anybody else?

• sheesh
    14 years ago

I love restaurant food! I wouldn't try to make it at home, though I know you can find the recipes on line. I love fast food, too, every once in a while. Kentucky Fried Chicken...mmmm. Coconut shrimp at Appleby's...yum. Almost any pie from Baker's Square...and I'm the best pie baker you'll ever meet! Pizza! Chicago style hot dogs! All tasty, IMO. But I love to cook, too, and I'm good at it. I make almost everything we eat. It's a treat to eat that other stuff, though.
    Sherry

• Related Discussions

Mint chutney like the Indian restaurants

Q

Comments (5)
    Here is how I make mine: MINT TAMARIND SAUCE Blend the following: 1/2 cup of tamarind sauce or paste (I get mine at Ranch 99 but any indian or south pacific store would have it too) if it is a thick paste you will have to add a bit of water to blend. 1 tablespoon fried whole cumin seeds (I use a tiny cast iron skillet and veggie oil, just fry until golden - do not burn) 1/2 a bunch of cilantro leaves (1 cup chopped or more) same amount (or more) of mint leaves 2 tablespoons brown sugar 2 Serrano peppers, chopped but with seeds salt to taste Blend everything until you have a sauce. I freeze mine in quarts zip lock bags. I like it since it one way to preserve the cilantro herb. Cilantro is a winter herb for us. I agree that fresh is best, but freezing this works pretty well.
    ...See More

Site where you can get a restaurant recipe

Q

Comments (7)
    I did a google search and found this. Could this be the one you are looking for? Tomato and Red Lentil Soup This recipe is my attempt to create a soup similar to the one served at RezaÂs restaurant. The secret ingredient is sumac. Sumac is a sour spice used almost like salt in some parts of the Middle East. ItÂs also an ingredient of za'atar, a table seasoning frequently sprinkled on flat breads. Ingredients 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil 1 medium onion, chopped 1 large stalk celery, chopped 1 medium carrot, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes 4 cups chicken stock or broth 1/2 cup red lentils 2 tablespoons dried parsley (or one bunch fresh, chopped) to taste, salt and pepper 1-2 teaspoons sumac 1 small lemon, juiced (optional) Serves / Yields Serves 4-6 Preparation Instructions Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrot, and cook until softened (a few minutes). Add the garlic, then, in a minute add the tomatoes and chicken stock. Simmer for about 20 minutes, season, and let it cool. Puree the soup, then strain back into the pot. This removes tomato skins and most seeds. Add the lentils and return to a low simmer. Taste a lentil in about 15 minutes to see if itÂs tender. If not, continue cooking, but donÂt let them get mushy. Add the sumac and parsley. Taste for seasoning and add lemon juice if you like. Helpful Hints Serve with a dollop of yogurt on top. Credit This recipe was provided by Marilyn Pocius from n/a. Linda
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Juniors Restaurant tartar sauce

Q

Comments (4)
    No Juniors here. Got this recipe from an internet friend recently and it was really good. From BrattKatt Tartar Sauce 1 Cup Hellmans Mayo or another good quality mayo (Please no miracle whip) 2 Tablespoons of finely minced onion 2 Tablespoons of finely minced dill pickle 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley Fresh Lemon juice to taste Mix it all together and serve...
    ...See More

RECIPE: Hawaiian Recipe from Kailua-Kona?

Q

Comments (2)
    I found this recipe using Perch instead of the Ono. Perch in Sauerkraut Potato Crust 1 lb perch, portioned into 8 fillets, skinned 2 Idaho potatoes 1 lb. Sauerkraut 1 egg or 1/2 c beer batter (see recipe below) 8 leaves Swiss chard, blanched, shocked and drained 1 c malt beer 1/4 c diced COLD butter 1/4 c fish fumet (stock) 1 large carrot 5 scallions 1 bunch parsley oil, salt, pepper Saran Wrap 1. Prepare beer batter. 2. Peel and coarsely grate potatoes (use Box grater). 3. Blend sauerkraut and beer batter. 4. On a sheet of plastic wrap, spread potatoes in a thin layer. 5. Top the potato layer with the sauerkraut-beer batter mixture. 6. Butterfly each perch fillet and place it on a leaf of Swiss chard. 7. Bring one edge of the Swiss chard toward the center of the fish fillet, fold the fish and wrap it with remainder of the leaf. 8. Place the fish on the sauerkraut-beer batter mixture top it with a little Sauerkraut and put a second wrapped fish fillet on top of the first one. 9. Fold the edges of the saran wrap in such a way that the fish is completely encased by the sauerkraut and potato coat. Heat oil in a pan and with the help of the saran wrap move the fish into the pan, removing the wrap. Brown the fish on both sides and transfer it to a 375°F oven and bake it for a few minutes. SAUCE: Combine fish fumet and malt beer in a saucepan, reduce the liquid and finish by whisking in cold butter. Serve the fish on a pool of the Dark Beer Beurre Blanc, garnished with glazed carrots, blanched scallions and deep-fried parsley
    ...See More
  • dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

I have a pdf file that was emailed to me that has a lot of the restuarant recipes in there. If you'd like for me to look and see if a particular one is in there, will do and type it out in here. Or if you want, email me and I'll send the whole pdf file to you.

Off the top of my head the only one I remember is the bourbon chicken, one of my favorites.

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

I have made the Zuppa Tuscana a la Olive Garden and Wendy's chili in the past and both were terrific. If you google restaurant recipes clone you'll get a million of them. :)
    Pam

• lindac
    14 years ago

any restaurant recipe that is "out there" is from a chain....and I cook lots better than any chain.

• magic_arizona
    14 years ago

If you like the Olive Garden, you can go to Olivegarden.com and they have lots of recipes and signature dishes on their site. I have made a few of them and they are Delicious.

• partst
    14 years ago

The only restaurant recipe I have ever used is the one for the Outback Steakhouse Bushman bread that Claire posted last year. Its a dark rye made with molasses my DH canÂt get enough of it. The only change I made is I only use half the yeast and add caraway seeds.

Claudia

• adoptedbygreyhounds
    14 years ago

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has a regular column of restaurant recipes and the ones I've tried have become favorites. A reader requests the AJC to ask if the chef will share the recipe for a favorite dish. The chefs are usually glad to do it -- free advertising! Plus it's a compliment to them.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I don't even try restaurant recipes at home, primarily because I like to go out to eat and I would prefer to have someone else make them for me (grin).

Alexa

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

I have all my favorite recipes from an family-owned Italian restaurant that closed here 5 years ago. They were a fixture in this town for 30 years. Luckily the chef is a phone call away if there is something else I'd like to make.

• shaun
    14 years ago

Yep sometimes you feel like having something you love at a particular restaurant but you don't want to go out.....or pay that high price for it. So it's cool to have the recipe at home to prepare whenever you want to.

I love restaurant recipes! I just got one for chunky hummus from a Greek place. Now I dont have to go there to have it!

While I do consider myself a good cook, I'm not that good at making up recipes. I'll take a recipe as written and add to it or take away from it but to just go at it and make one up? No. I need a recipe to go by somewhat.

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

Only from neighborhood non-chain restaurants. So many chain places are pre-made and full of soduim and other chemistry experiments, I try to stay away from them.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

I don't have any aversion to trying a restaurant recipe if it looks and sounds good to me.

One that I make and have posted that has also become a forum favorite is actually an Olive Garden recipe!

If I am making a copycat restaurant recipe I can control the amount of "unwanted" elements (sodium, fat, etc.) by making sure I use only high quality ingredients, and cutting some of the unwanteds without sacrificing flavor.

linda

• lyndaluu2
    14 years ago

I love Red Lobster's cheese biscuits!!!
    I don't like their food (always pre-frozen) and tasteless....
    I do have the recipe.

Linda

• lindac
    14 years ago

And the wonderful little ma and pa bistros as well as the fancy schmancy "famous chef" places won't be cooking from a recipe pinned on the wall. And the recipes you do find for "restraunt recipes", say's for Friday's Jack Daniels BBQ sauce will someone's idea of how to make what the make by the vat and ship out to their chains.

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Lots of newspapers print recipes from ma and pa bistros that are every bit as good as they are in the restaurant. For many years a group of us has been lucky enough to get to review local restaurants for the paper a couple times a year. Several times, I've made a dish from the restaurant's recipe that was printed in the paper that I'd already reviewed with my friends. There haven't been any secret ingredients left out, the recipe was sized for home use, and they've been every bit as good as the restaurant version is. Restaurants are often happy to share recipes and they refuse to honor the newspaper's request if they don't want to share. When they do share, they want it to be good, so they give the recipe.

Often, restaurant equipment is so different from home equipment that it is almost impossible to duplicate at home. I've read that response from restaurants in the paper, and I believe it. I have a friend who is a professional baker who couldn't possible bake at home what she does in her bakery.

So, yes, you can get excellent restaurant recipes from chefs to prepare in your home.

• ghoghunter
    14 years ago

Lyndaluu2 could you post the Red Lobster's biscuit recipe? I love those biscuits too!
    Joann

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I've made a couple of "knock off" recipes, including the Red Lobster biscuits and the Jack Daniel's Grill Glaze. I wasn't so keen on the biscuits but the glaze was good. Not what I had in the restaurant, but good, probably better.

I don't care much for chain restaurants and try my hardest not to eat in them because the fat and calorie content is so darned high, as is the sodium. Elery and I stopped at Ruby Tuesday's yesterday, we went to Cadillac to visit my stepmom, she's in the hospital there. I had veggie burgers, they were awful, with way too much sticky sweet BBQ on top. Elery had turkey burger and it was possibly the most bland and tasteless thing I've ever eaten. Elery was sick all night and chewing Tums. Burger King would have been better!

The problem with chain restaurant recipes is that most of their stuff is pre-prepared and shipped to them and as has been mentioned, the knock off recipes aren't the same because they don't actually make the stuff at the restaurant.

Plus, since both Elery and I like to cook, we'd rather cook and eat at home, we've eaten out maybe half a dozen times in the past year and half of those times were at a little local dive bar that makes the best fried grouper ever. I don't think there's a recipe, they just buy grouper filets, roll them in flour, dunk into an egg wash, roll in seasoned crumbs and stick them in the deep fryer. Yummy and ever so bad for my arteries, LOL.

Google KopyKat (or is is CopyCat?) recipes, you'll get lots, but I don't know if they are tried and true.

Annie

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

I used to work at a high end hotel and our chefs had really nice recipe cards printed to give restaurant customers that asked for their recipes.

I have several of those recipe cards and have made a number of things from them and they are really good.

I agree that most chain restaurant food is only so-so if even that. But if I wouldn't eat at a restaurant I would not feel the need to try one of their recipes.

Annie, I cannot stand Ruby Tuesday's food, nor can I gag down much of anything from TGI Fridays, although their food used to be decent. Don't care for Chili's, either.

Linda

• jude31
    14 years ago

Actually, one of my favorite restaurants, mid price, is part of a small chain. Bravo Italian Restaurant and I don't have the confidence to say I could make it better at home. Nice atmosphere, good service and they change their menu frequently. I do agree about a lot of the chains though. Many of the restaurants here, that are not part of a chain, are on the expensive side and we only go there occasionally.

jude

• User
    14 years ago

To me there are restaurant recipes and then there is restaurant recipes.

If I'm going to eat in a chain, which isn't often, it's going to be something that the chain is know for. I don't believe it is possible to really duplicate chain restaurant food for all the reasons notes above. So if I want Outbacks Bloomin' Onion...then I'll go to Outbacks. I don't care for it enough to try and duplicate it.

On the other hand I've had some amazing dishes in restaurants that I am thrilled to be able to duplicate at home. I have a "to die for" recipe for pasta with tomato, bell peppers and sausage from an Italian restaurant here in town. I also think the meatball recipe that many of us here use is from Rao's. Their Lemon Chicken recipe is great too.

Thanks to Riverrat, I have a whole book of recipes from a fabulous restaurant in Lake Charles that served the most amazing stuffed dates !

I also think I would love to have some of the recipes from the "Drive-ins, Diners and Dives" restaurants but again I think the volume and local ingredient thing would make it hard to duplicate.

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

I have posted a few recipes from local restaurants, but none from national chains or franchises. Some of those I posted are:

Leek and Asparagus Strudel from Julienne
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/recipex/msg1219144432630.html

Graham cracker chewy bars from Julienne
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/recipex/msg1217400126176.html

Joan's on Third Macaroni and Cheese
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/cooking/2009110155021540.html

• lindac
    14 years ago

But.....how is a recipe from a restaurant that isn't a chain differfent from any "good recipe"...Is it because it's served in a restaurant? Is there something about that that makes is desirable?
    When someone asks for "restaurant recipes" I wold assume they are not looking for recipes by Rick Baylessw or Alice Waters or Carl pellegrino, but rather for a dish from a chain.
    I forsure don't care to know how KFC makes their chicken,nor how Olive Garden makes their soup, nor what's in the salad dressing served at The Cheesecake Factory.
    But i would love to know how my friend maded that wonderful stew with the prunes and olives...
    Linda C

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

I'm reading a great book...The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

In it Dr. Kessler mentions how industry food "designers" come up with food that is designed to haul you in. How they develop recipes that are "salt, on fat, on fat, on fat, on sugar, on fat".

The recipes are all about creating a taste sensation that along with good times had in restaurants cue you into wanting more whenever you see the restaurant.

I haven't eaten in a chain restaurant in probably 2 years or more although dh will occasionally take the kids to the local subway.

Don't you wonder how a McD's food item can taste the same in Los Angeles, New York, Moscow and London. I mean all cows don't taste the same. All potatoes don't either, neither do chickens. It's because the food taste is overpowered by chemicals and then enhanced by more chemicals. EEEWWWW!!

I'd rather eat a homemade meal any day.

If you're looking for T&T recipes check out the highly rated recipes on this site, epicureous.com and allrecipes.com. Some have 5 stars and over 500 ratings. They must be appealing to someone LOL

• maureen_me
    14 years ago

The original post specifically mentioned local restaurants that people from other places wouldn't be familiar with. How does that get interpreted as asking for recipes from chains??? It seems to me what was asked for was exactly the opposite of what some people decided to belittle the OP for.

• triciae
    14 years ago

Well, alright. Here's a lobster crepe recipe from the Inn at Mystic. They are known for these crepes. The chef has tried several times to remove them from the menu & replace with something new only to have the complaints start rolling in. They've been on the menu for at least the past 10 years I've been around the Inn.

I make lobster crepes at home now thanks to the Inn's chef providing me with their recipe. Over the years, I've tweaked it a bit adding my own signature (I've posted how I make them here several times).

Anyway, these are excellent & they are neither sodium or chemical laced, pre-made in some remote factory, and it's not a fake recipe.

/tricia

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Belitteling a poster's tastes is pretty common around here Maureen. Don't know why someone has always got to throw stones at someone's taste who is different from their own. A case of superiority, or could it be inferiority?

I don't have any restaurant recipes. Wish I did. When I've asked, I've always been told it's a trade secret.

• trsinc
    14 years ago

I was googling around for something today, can't remember what, and I stumbled across this site. I have not tried these recipes yet but oh MY GODDDD, I will soon. I can't wait until Christmas to try the Chef Robert Bruce's Crabmeat Cheesecake with Pecan Crust. Maybe I'll bump that one up to my birthday, lol.

Anyway, these are all New Orleans/Louisiana recipes and many come from the restaurants that used to be in N O.

Enjoy!

• trsinc
    14 years ago

Here's another one I've actually made. It's from Z Tejas. This is a chain I guess, technically, although they only have 10 of them. I had this dish at the original location.

Z'TEJAS DIABLO CHICKEN PASTA SAUCE

1 qt. heavy (whipping) cream
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup blackening spice
    1 3/4 cup cotija cheese
    1/4 cup fresh salsa
    1 cooked chicken breast (for pasta)

NOTE: The restaurant used grilled/smoked chicken breast. When I made it at home I did the same.

In a 5 quart pot add cream, blackening spice, and butter. Place on medium heat for approximately 10 minutes. Reduce by 3/4, stirring occasionally.

Add cotija cheese and salsa and reduce for another 2 minutes.

Use the stick mixer to puree until smooth. Should not be overly thick!

Cook 1 lb. fresh pasta of your choice and divide among 4 bowls.

Place cooked chicken around pasta and top with sauce.

Garnish with jalapeno strips and cotija cheese.

ZTejas Southwestern Grill, Located at the Gateway Mall,
    191 So. Rio Grande
    Source: Fox 13/KSTU, Utah
    Airdate on Fox 13: September 27, 2006

• trsinc
    14 years ago

Why do I always forget something?? I need memory pills.

Anyway, if you click on the creole/cajun link above, be sure to scroll down to find the recipes. It comes up looking strange. The recipe links are about half way down the page.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Maureen, I didn't think I belittled anyone, I mentioned chain restaurants and I also mentioned my favorite little local dive with great fish. And the poster didn't ask for the recipes, the OP specifically asked for LINKS to on-line recipes, which most small local restaurants don't have. On-line sites are going to be chain or big restaurants or those recipes of specific chefs, usually well known.

In my whole life I've only one time ever eaten anything in a restaurant that I'd want the recipe for, but that's because I'm notoriously picky. That one thing was the calimari at a restaurant in Jackson, Michigan, called Darryl's, definitely not a chain. Then I thought a minute and realized that I'd never bother to fry calimari at home, so it was pointless to get the recipe, LOL.

Annie

• Cathy_in_PA
    14 years ago

Linda: "... chefs had really nice recipe cards printed to give restaurant customers that asked for their recipes." Wow! How gracious and great marketing.

Chase, I actually bought my son "Drive-ins, Diners and Dives" for Christmas. While the recipes are pretty easy to replicate, the writing is pretty humorous, plus Fieri included a recipe for Haluski from a restaurant near the 'Burgh. Good read maybe from the library.

Annie1992: "I'm notoriously picky." I'm laughing. I can be picky too, depending on when you hit me. We rarely go out to eat, so for me it's an "evening." I will say, after shoveling for the past three days, I was too tired to even reheat the homecooked salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, and peas for dinner ... the Pizza Hut my husband brought home tasted pretty epic to me! Shhh, don't tell my mom, I didn't even use a plate:)

Bottom line: I like to read recipes and learn. I just read a recipe for Panera's Broccoli Cheese Soup -- little bit of nutmeg ... hmmm. Of course, I shudder sometimes at the amount of butter, cream, etc. too!

Cathy in SWPA

• tropicals9b
    14 years ago

Thanks adoptedbygreyhounds! I copied 7 recipes to try.
    Empanadas
    Oven Roasted Shrimp
    Potato Soup
    Lemon Tart
    Meat Loaf
    Penne with Spicy Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce
    Mac & Cheese

Val

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

I haven't tried making it, but here's the recipe for my head-over-heels favorite tortilla soup from the now-defunct Houston's Restaurant, which was part of high-end chain. Great, consistent food and service.

We took a road trip to D.C. last month and made a point of driving by Houston's in Rockville, MD to have lunch. Discovered they had closed and mysteriously reopened in a neighboring town under a different name. Just saw an article online inferring that the parent company altered the number of restaurants within the chain, and their menus, to avoid being forced to show calorie content in areas like NYC. Interesting.

• maureen_me
    14 years ago

Annie, I wasn't referring to anything you said (I actually didn't even read your post!). I'm not sure why you assumed I was talking about you. I was referring to the all-too-familiar kind of response that informs the person asking an innocent question that their question isn't even worthy of consideration, and telling them what they should have asked instead, or why their question was stupid. I don't know what makes certain posters qualified to rule on what is or isn't a worthy question.

I don't think it's all that unusual for local restaurants to post sample recipes. Here are two links from places in our area. I haven't had any of the dishes on this link at the Hartstone Inn, but the kitchen is highly regarded, so they're a good bet (sorry, I forget how to post more than one clickable link): http://www.hartstoneinn.com/recipes.htm

I have had a bite of the coconut cake at the Freedom Cafe, and it's to die for (or die of, as most of their dishes are Deep South cooking, and not exactly diet food). If you're interested in vegetarian food, Google our local James Beard Award-nominated Chase's Daily--I've never had anything there that wasn't superb, nor has anyone else I know. They don't have their own site, but I know that some of their recipes are posted online, and I'll find them if you like.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

maureen, I didn't think you were necessarily targeting me, but I (along with others) specifically mentioned chain restaurants and I thought you were referring to everyone who mentioned/disparaged chain restaurants. Not just me, but including me.

Although many local (within 100 miles, LOL) restaurants have websites, almost none of them have recipes. That's because they want you to go there to eat, they make no money if you make their recipe, only if you go to their restaurant to eat their recipe.

Some better known Michigan chefs like Eric Villegas do have websites and recipes, but they also have cookbooks, so they give you a few recipes trying to get you to buy the cookbooks!

Annie

• vettin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello,

OP here. If anyone would like to post the actual recipes here that would be great, I was trying to make it easier. Also wanted to make sure not breaking any copyright laws.

Started this post after saw the Momofuku reipe posted and wondered what other places I had never heard of but had good reputations had recipes out there. (whether this particularly recipe is any good is for another post - I haven't tried it).

For e.g. Georgetown Cupcake has a great reputation in DC and there are a couple of recipes posted online, but someone in NC may have never heard of them (can't vouch for the recipes posted, haven't tried them yet but will!).

Also, the st. Louis Post will feature recipes from restaurants that readers request.

I was not asking for chain recipes, but if you have one you absolutley love, I would be happy to hear it - why not!

Thank you for defending my post, I don't take any of this personally...just hoping for some great recipes!

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

I don't necessarily think "a recipe from a restaurant that isn't a chain different from any "good recipe" is different as such. I consider them tried & true because I have eaten them at the restaurant or made them before I posted them. Well, not always, sometimes I post them just because I think they are interesting, as in the case of the 1,198 calorie Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae or the Crack Pie. I should make that distinction when I post.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Here you go, Vettin. I thought you were just looking for links . Since you want T&T recipes, these are all restaurant recipes that are tried and true.

Hash Brown Potatoes with Cream

Source: St Paul Hotel, St Paul MN

1-1/2 lb fresh shredded hash browns
    4 green onion tops, sliced
    2 c heavy cream
    10 strips cooked bacon, diced
    Seasoning Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Pour into a buttered 10 inch baking pan or casserole. Bake at 35oF for 45 minutes until golden brown on top.

[
    ](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=308027383) Tuscan Garlic Chicken Olive Garden\-Inspired by our Culinary Institute of Tuscany, this chicken pasta dish is layered with flavors! Servings: 6 cook: 30 min(s) Ingredients: 3 lb(s) Boneless, skinless chicken breasts 1 1/2 cup(s) Flour, plus 1 tablespoon 1 Tbsp Salt 2 tsp Black pepper 2 tsp Italian herb seasoning 1 lb(s) Penne pasta 1 Tbsp Garlic, chopped 1 Red pepper, julienne cut 1/2 cup(s) White wine 1/2 lb(s) Whole leaf spinach, stemmed 12 oz Heavy cream 1 cup(s) Parmesan cheese, grated Preparing the Chicken: \- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, black pepper and Italian herb seasoning in a shallow dish. \- Dredge chicken in the mixture, shaking off any excess. \- Saute the chicken in batches, in a large, nonstick, ovenproof skillet \- with enough oil to coat \- over medium\-high heat for about two to three minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp. \- When finished, transfer the ovenproof skillet to a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Preparing the Pasta: \- Cook pasta al dente (or according to package instructions). \- Drain and set aside until needed. Preparing the Sauce: \- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1/2 to 1 fluid ounce of oil in a sauce pan. Add the garlic and the red pepper and cook for approximately one minute. \- Slowly add remaining one tablespoon of flour and stir to combine. \- Next add the white wine and bring to a boil for about one minute. Add the spinach and the cream and bring to a boil. The sauce is done cooking when the spinach becomes wilted. Complete by stirring in the parmesan cheese. Preparing Tuscan Garlic Chicken Entree: \- Partly coat the pasta with the sauce, transfer to a large bowl (or individual dishes) and then top with the chicken, the remaining sauce and extra parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy.

Chocolate Turtle Torte
    Source: St Paul Hotel

Crust:
    3-2/3 c pecans
    1-1/4 c sugar
    7T unsalted butter

In food processor blend pecans and sugar, add melted butter in steady stream until combined well. Turn out mixture into a 12" tart pan with removable bottom. Press to 1/8" thickness on bottom and 3/8" on sides. Bake at 350F for approximately 20-25 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool.

Filling:
    1lb semi sweet chocolate
    2 c heavy whipping cream

Bring cream to a boil and pour over coarsely chopped chocolate. Mix until chocolate is melted and mixture is combined well. Pour into cooled crust and refrigerate for 3 hours or up to overnite.

Caramel Sauce:
    4oz unsalted butter
    1 c sugar
    1 c heavy whipping cream
    3/4 c crushed pecans (for garnish)

In heavy saucepan melt butter, add sugar and cook until dark brown (not burnt). Add cream and remove from heat. Mix thoroughly until mixture turns a rich golden color.
    Drizzle over slices of torte and serve.

Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing Source: St. Paul Hotel Dressing: 1 c sugar 1/4 c poppyseeds 1/2 c Sesame seeds 1 c salad oil 1/2 c raspberry vinegar dash paprika 1 T worcestershire sauce 1 T minced onion Combine sugar and vinegar and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and chill well. Serve over baby spinach leaves and sliced strawberries. Garnish with brie cheese wedges. My notes:you may want to half this recipe, as it makes a lot of dressing.

This is one I came up with based on the list of ingredients on a deli label. The original salad came from Dayton's Marketplace deli. Dayton's used to be a large department store in Minneapolis, later became Marshall Fields, and then sold out to Macy's. Not sure what the exact recipe was, but this comes darn close! LOL

Greek Style Pasta Salad

1lb pasta, shells or farfalle work well
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    1 can black olives, sliced
    1 large tomato, chopped
    1/2 c chopped red pepper
    1c mayonnaise
    1/2c Italian dressing
    6-8oz crumbled feta cheese
    4oz grated parmesan cheese
    Oregano to taste
    Black pepper to taste

Cook pasta per package directions, drain. Place pasta in bowl with celery, olives, tomato and pepper.
    In small bowl combine mayonnaise, Italian dressing, parmesan, oregano and pepper, gently fold in feta. Toss with pasta and vegetables, chill until ready to serve.

And another from Dayton's Marketplace: Broccoli Linguini 1 lb linguini 3 oz olive oil 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 lg bunch broccoli, finely chopped including 1\-2" of stems 3/4 c chopped walnuts 1/2c pitted black olives, sliced 3 oz parmesan or romano cheese, grated Salt to taste Pepper, freshly ground Cook linguini according to package directions until "al dente", drain. Heat olive oil in large skillet and sauté garlic until golden. Add broccoli, walnuts and olives, cook and stir over medium heat until very hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over hot linguini, sprinkle parmesan over top and serve immediately. Linda
  • beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

The Watershed in Decactur Georgia has wonderful banana pudding and blackberry cobbler from chef Scott Peacock. I made the cobbler for myself for my birthday. (I do cut the sugar a bit as I find most restaurant desserts far too sweet.)

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

The House of Prime Rib on Taylor and Van Ness in San Francisco is one of those restaurants that found a few really good things and stuck with them. Yummy salad, Prime Rib, baked or mashed potato, creamed spinach and Yorkshire pudding. If you can eat it all, you can have a second slice of beef on the house....erg. The salad is good enough to crave, but now that I live in the Valley, it isn't quite good enough for the almost 3 hour drive, so...

Original Spinning Bowl Salad with the Heritage Orange Colored Dressing

8 ounces romaine lettuce -- washed, dried and torn into 1 1/2" pieces
    2 ounces iceberg lettuce -- washed, dried and torn into 1 1/2" pieces
    2 ounces spinach -- Baby spinach; washed, dried and torn into 1 1/2" pieces

4 ounces canned beets -- drained & julienned
    4 ounces chopped hard-cooked eggs
    4 ounces croutons -- sourdough best
    4 ounces Lawry's Classic Vintage Salad Dressing
    8 each tomatoes -- Teardrop or grape variety

Place salad greens in a large salad bowl. Arrange beets over greens; sprinkle with chopped eggs and top with croutons.

Prepare ice bowl, if desired: Fill a very large shallow bowl with crushed ice, making a depression in the center. Place salad bowl with ingredients on top of ice, settling it well in the depression.

Pour dressing over greens. Toss with a large salad fork and spoon until ingredients are well distributed and evenly coated with salad dressing. If using the ice bowl, toss with a circular motion to spin the salad bowl. Portion onto four places, heaping high. Garnish each plate with two teardrop tomatoes. Offer Lawry's Seasoned Pepper with the salad.

NOTES : The salad dressing can be purchased over the internet @ http://www.lawrysonline.com/e-store/p...

According to the Chicago this is the dressing recipe:

For the Dressing:
    3 tablespoons cider vinegar
    3 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons applesauce
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons dry sherry
    1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon Sweet Hungarian Paprika
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 pinch parsley -- flakes, a pinch
    2 drops Tabasco sauce
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

In a large salad bowl, combine lettuces, spinach or watercress, beets and egg. Sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper. Toss with dressing (recipe below). Garnish each serving with cherry tomatoes and croutons.

In a blender, combine vinegar, water, applesauce, Worcestershire sauce, sherry, seasoned salt, sugar, Sweet Hungarian Paprika, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce. Blend on high until combined, about 30 seconds. With the motor running on high speed, slowly add oil through the pour hole on the lid (remove center of lid) until combined, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate several hours before serving.

• blizlady
    14 years ago

I am posting a link to a couple recipes from a local restaurant in Delafield,WI called BackStreet Cafe. This is from a column in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel called "You Asked For It" where people request recipes from restaurants in the area. I had these lemon bars at the restaurant and they are so good!