SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Choosing Health Plans: Medicare + WHAT?

chisue
14 years ago

I've put in I don't know how many hours trying to decide what plan(s) are best for us in 2010. Anyone else hate this whole 'sign-up' period every autumn?

I *think* we'll continue with an Aetna Medicare Integration Plan. It's served us well for 2009. (Although the plan premium went up 30% for 2010!) It picks up everything Medicare doesn't cover: the extra 20% for doctors, tests, etc., and it pays the Medicare deductibles for MD's and for hospitalization ($135 and $1068 ea.). There's another plan that's identical for a little less, but it leaves us paying those two deductibles out of pocket. I'm not willing to risk the bite for hospitalization to save $300 with the cheaper plan.

DH only takes one cheap generic, so only I need a Part D plan to cover my expensive Advair ($550 retail for 90-day supply). My present 2009 Part D plan premium went up 50% for 2010, and my cost for Advair under that plan went up too, so I had to hunt again.

We'll keep the small dental plan that just barely pays for itself, and we'll add a vision plan for 2010 because we are both due for eye exams. I know I need new lenses and frames.

Anyone who thinks health care costs will be all easy sledding once you are Medicare-eligible is in for a big surprise. We spend as much for drugs, health care and insurance for health care as we do for groceries! We aren't even *sick*, and require only ONE expensive maintenance drug.

Medicare Part B for DH and me is $2314 a year. The Aetna supplement plan is $1044. My Part D for drugs plan is $480 including the deductible. My cost for just Advair under the plan is $244. The Dental is $360. Vision Plan is $245. That's about $4700, and would be more if we didn't have access to group insurance from my DH's former employer.

Curious to know how others are coping.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions