SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovejah

Oak flooring - should I stain it?

ilovejah
17 years ago

We are having the oak floors in my new old home done. This is the first time they have ever seen daylight since the home was built in the mid-60s (was the home I grew up in). The floors look a golden color right now. There is a coating on them. We are going to have them sanded and treated and having 2 coats of water-based coating - scheduled for next week. Anyway, my fiance has been handling this so far. I thought the natural color of the wood was the golden color it looks now, which I like. But, he took me to the store to see the difference between the water-based and oil-based coatings to decide which I wanted. This is first time I saw the oak natural. The natural color of the oak looks so light. I thought it was going to be golden. He likes the light color, but I'm not sure. I see all of these photos of oak floors and they all look a deeper golden color to me. Are these all stained? Why does the natural (sanded) wood look so light? They're supposed to start the work in another week, and I'm now thinking about a stain. I'm getting all stressed about this. I know it will cost more, but I'd rather spend the money and be happy. Anyone have any personal experience to share or opinions.

Comments (3)