SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanny2a

Phone call to lower interest rates a scam - or not?

nanny2a
12 years ago

We received a phone call from a Washington, DC telephone number from a gentleman offering to lower our interest rate on any Visa or Mastercard balances over $10,000. The caller said to dial "1" to access the information on this offer. After dailing "1", a man picked up and explained how their bank services could lower my interest rate on my card, (which is currently 13.24%), down to 6% for the life of the balance. He asked if I had any other cards with a sizable balance and higher rate, so I told him I also had another card and he said he could negotiate with that company to get that one reduced, too. He stated that there was a service fee involved in order to do this, but that that fee was thousands less than what I'd have to pay for those two cards at their current interest rates annually.

This offer sounded really good and I almost grabbed it, but chickened out at the last minute and told the gentleman I wasn't interested and hung up.

Has anyone else received any calls like this and what do you think about it? Was this a scam or could it have been a valid offer? I know some of the GW members have some legitimate banking/finance experience and would like their insight as to the legitimacy of this type of offer.

Comments (15)