SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Benefit - Yay, but now what do I do?

User
14 years ago

DH's friend *Craig* (I don't really know him) has a fiance, *Pat* (don't know her) is going through health issues. Short version, she felt really weird one day, went to the hospital and never literally walked out. She was paralyzed, in a coma, lots of terrible things. She spent a long time in the hospital, they ruled out everything and don't know what's wrong with her. She was headed to a different hospital for a 2nd opinion. Her illness is still a mystery. She's home now and was finally approved for some type of brace for her legs. She's going to therapy and is slowly learning to walk again. Financially they're in a huge hole from the medical bills. Life dramatically changed for them. This really hit home with me because she's my age. I can't imagine being healthy one day and paralyzed the next.

With Craig and Pat's approval we have a date in late summer reserved for a benefit at an outdoor community/park place. There was an opening today. Everything was booked and we didn't think we were going to be able to do anything. There's a pavillion and a stage. We have a few bands lined up. I was so gun hoe about this but now I feel totally lost. What else do we do? I'd imagine head around to local businesses and ask if they'd like to donate gift certificates or money? Have a 50/50 and raffles? Sell food. I know the church would help out with the stands. I absolutley HATE asking for money. I'm one of those people that don't appreciate herds standing outside Wal-Mart (even the girl scouts) asking for money.

I know a few people that could give us some pointers but I'm sure there are peple here who have done this before. Any advice or suggestions?

I'm very much a planner. DH isn't as detail oriented as me. I don't want this thing to flop.

Thanks!

Comments (11)