SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macleod518

Quality Leather Sofa on Budget

macleod518
17 years ago

My wife and I are looking to get either a leather sofa or loveseat, and a armchair with ottoman. We would love to keep the cost between $1000-$2000, if at all possible, but I don't want to buy cheap furniture and have to replace it a few years later. I would definitely consider myself a bargain hunter, so finding a high quality sofa on clearance would be best. I'm also not opposed to buying online, but considering how different every couch feels when sitting on it, I'm worried about online shopping. I love the look of the H&M traditional nailhead leather sofas, but they are way out of my price range.

I've read that 8-way hand tied springs with a hardwood frame provide the best "bones" to a sofa. Is it reasonable to think these features are in my price range? I've gone to many local furniture stores in Albany, NY and have yet to find anything in my price range with those features. I almost purchased a clearance Ashley loveseat & chair w/ ottoman at a big box store for $799 (retail $1499), but the salesrep couldn't tell me about the construction of the sofa, and the feet were a very cheap resin. From what I've read, the feet should be an extension of the frame. So this set off a warning signal to me.

Are there any particular manufacturers that produce quality, well-made furniture in my price range, or should I be looking to save up more money?

Finally, perhaps someone can shed some light on qualities of leather. I was told "split-grain leather" is poor quality and will crack over time, so I should look for "top-grain leather". However, I read on another post that "Full Top-Grain leather" is even better yet. Finally, I've also seen mention of "Aniline Leather". I don't know how this compares to the other kinds. My parents have a leather sofa that has a leather that feels very thick and supple feeling. Everything I've felt so far, has a thin, soft feeling. I'm afraid if my cats jump on the couch, they'll poke a hole right through the material.

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jake

Comments (8)