SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikla_in_florida

Help: Quality Reclining Leather Sectional

mikla_in_florida
13 years ago

I have been doing some research on the quality of currently available reclining leather sectionals (NOT home theatre seating but something that actually looks like nice family room furniture). I am looking for middle-to-high quality (a kiln dried hardwood frame, blocked, glued, nailed or screwed with 8 way hand tied or similar quality springs) if they exist. Here's what I have found so far:

Macy's Elite Leather "Miramar" and "Rolla" - turns out these are not Elite but a subsidiary of Elite called Passport Home. The salespeople could not describe the construction of the frame. Apparently it's made in China.

Thomasville's "Benjamin" - the salesperson said they used 8-way hand tied on all their sofas but when I looked underneath another sofa on the floor (not Benjamin), it appeared to be sinuous spring. I asked whether kiln dried hardwoods were used with blocking, gluing and nailing, but she muttered something I didn't understand. Don't really know how they are constructed because I can't believe the salesperson.

I have heard Thomasville and Ethan Allen still make their upholstery in NC but can't find anything on their websites about it. So I went to Ethan Allen. There weren't any reclining sofas on the floor and didn't see any on their website.

I continued my search online:

Bradington-Young - one of the best, but I didn't see anything online which had the recliner feature.

Hancock & Moore - found the Austin reclining sectional. Must find a place to see one, but apparently it is very well made.

Flexsteel - found some reclining models, but didn't care for the styling of the sectionals. I've been told that the frame construction isn't the best, but have no details on how it's actually made.

Palliser - found some reclining models, but didn't care for the styling of the sectionals. I've been told that the frame construction isn't the best, but have no details on how it's actually made.

Ferretti Interiors - I did not find reclining sectionals.

Classic Leather - I liked the Kenilworth Reclining Sectional. Must find a place to see one, but apparently it is very well made.

Leathercraft - I did not find reclining sectionals.

Of all the sectionals I saw, my favorite design was Thomasville's "Benjamin"; however, I don't know what quality it is and have heard that Thomaville's customer service is absolutely horrible, so that scares me too.

Does anyone know how some of the ones listed above are constructed? Any other manufacturers I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for providing feedback.

Comments (6)