SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newgeneral

D-I-Y Linoleum (Forbo) Tiles - Should we?

newgeneral
17 years ago

At one time I think a person experienced with linoleum installation was posting here, but now I can't find the posts. I hope he/she, as well as anyone else familiar with installing linoleum will chime in here and give us some advice.

We have a small (~160 ft2) and fairly regularly shaped spaced space which currently has vinyl flooring that is in pretty good shape. We want to cover this with Forbo Marmoleum, preferably the tiles rather than the sheet product. We received a bid from a flooring company, but with all their fees and taxes the installation portion of the bid was over $1200, even for the sheet product. We think we ought to be able to glue the stuff down ourselves, particularly the tiles, which are smaller and easier to handle than the sheets. We don't have experience with installing sheet flooring, but we are pretty handy and have done many other projects, including laminate countertops, ourselves.

Would we be wise to tackle this project? What should we know before we start (that isn't mentioned in Forbo's online installation instruction manual?)

And finally, the flooring dealer planned to swipe a coat of cement-based flooring compound over our vinyl floor and glue the new linoleum to that. Should we glue the linoleum to the vinyl floor, or should we make an effort to tear the old vinyl off (it is not coming up on its own)? Is smearing the cement-based compound over the vinyl necessary? Could we sand the vinyl floor to accomplish the same thing?

I appreciate all informed advice!

Comments (3)