SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnyi_gw

Hampton HI300 Owners, Help!

16 years ago

Hi - we own a 1600 sq ft cape with an add-on room to the side. Since the house has electric baseboard heat, and since we have a new baby, we decided to purchase a wood insert for the fireplace and settled on the Hampton HI300 (with blower) in effort to reduce and/or eliminate the need for the electric heat and keep the entire house toasty. Well, we have been running the HI300 for two weeks straight now, and cannot get the room that it's in to heat above 67 degrees (the nearest thermostat is 7' away from the unit!). Furthermore, the electric heat in the other rooms continues to kick on even when set low to 60. The heat just isn't coming out of the unit as much as I expected it to. I was hoping that the room the fireplace is in would be very hot - and read several reviews which lead me to buy the unit ledd me to believe it would - and that the ceiling fan in the far room [set at the winter setting] would circulate that heat throughout the house. Unfortunately this is just not happening. As I type this, the unit is stuffed, full damper open, auto fan on high, I'm in the next room and my feet are freezing. I have even draft sealed all the windows and un-used doors in the house in effort to block out drafts.

I went back to the dealer and they said to try different wood - so I ordered a cord of seasoned wood, have been burning it exclusively for 4 days and there still hasn't been any difference. I feel like all I am doing is burning wood - not producing heat into the house. I can stand 1' in front of the unit and feel the heat. Move 2' away and it's just warm... much more than 4' away from the unit and I don't feel the heat.

Are there any tips someone could provide to get the maximum amount of heat from this unit? We're desparately in need of some help and trying to avoid another $600 electric bill this month.

Thanks

Comments (7)