SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenica_gw

Help! How the heck do I use my fp insert?

16 years ago

Hi,

I'm hoping you all can help me out. My husband and I bought a house this past summer and it has a fireplace insert. I was excited about using it to help heat the house but now the time has come and we can't figure the darn thing out. I've looked online to try to find some directions but no luck.

The insert has cast iron doors, and says "The Ashley" on the left door. It has two knobs at the bottom of each door that unscrew to allow air to flow into the fireplace when the doors are closed. There is a vent fan under the doors and also vents at each side of the doors and above them. Next to the vents above the door there is a lever. Outside the house on the back of the chimney there is a little cast iron door that says "Hutch". Inside this door there is about a 3 foot squared off tunnel that was filled with ash.

Does anyone know what I am suppose to do when we start a fire. Doors closed with knobs unscrewed right? (doors closed with knobs closed smothers the fire) What about the lever next to the vents above the door, it doesn't seem to move for some reason. What's the purpose of the little door on the back of the chimney and where is all the ash in there coming from, the firebox doesn't have any holes in it for ash to drop through.

We can get a fire going and close the doors and everything but I want to know how to use it properly so we are not wasting the energy efficiency. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio