SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minxy1987

Novalis peel-and-stick - direction of vinyl planks?

minxy1987
15 years ago

I've read the other big thread on Novalis peel-and-stick vinyl planks and they look good and easy to install but I still have a couple of questions that I couldn't figure out.

I'm planning to do my whole house including 2 narrow hallways that join at a right angle/T shape. From the front door you walk into an open plan living area then off to the left there's the hallway with a bedroom/office off to the left. The 1st part of the hallway leads into a 2nd part at right angles that has 2 more bedrooms off it. Its all open plan so there's really only a single hallway with 2 parts at right angles in a T shape.

All the other rooms are sqare-ish or wide enough that it doesn't really matter which direction that I lay the vinyl plank in. For hallways I read that the planks should run parralel with the longer direction of the hall but if I do that I'd have to flip the direction of the planks when I get to the "T"/right angle in the hallway. Is there some kind of threashold strip I need to use or should I just keep the planks all in the same direction and just have them running across the width of the hallway for the 2nd part of the hallway? I'm thinking the best way since I'm using the peel and stick vinyl planks is to have them all in the same direction and just have them run across direction of the 2nd part of the hallway. Does that sound OK or will it look weird?

The second question is that since I've got a large open plan area (the hallway, living room, dining room and family room) what's the best way to square it up? I'm thinking I should start in the 1st part of the hallway and center that and then just go with that. I can do chalk lines in all the open plan rooms to start with to make sure everything squares up fairly well with the hall. If its off by a degree or 2 how much leeway do I have before it would look weird/out of whack?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I want to make sure I'm on the right track and don't realise I've got a problem after I've laid hundreds of planks and have to start again...

Comment