SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mia__gw

Sensuede microfiber upholstery...anyone have this upholstery?

Mia_
16 years ago

I am trying to choose a good upholstery fabric for a new sofa. Durability and cleanability are important factors. Also, a plus is for the fabric to have a soft feel to it (feels comfy against skin).

Sensuede, a top-of-the-line microfiber, meets the above characteristics. I've read all I can about Sensuede from their website. However, it is not a thick fabric (it doesn't have to be thick because of how strong it is), and since it's not thick, I wonder if the fabric may appear loose on seat cushions in time.

I actually have a sofa right now with Sensuede, but after a short time of owning the sofa, the fabric appears loose on the seat and back cushions, like you can grab the fabric with your fingers if you try. The cushions do NOT have any welting. So the sofa looks older than it is. I don't know whether the fabric appearing loose on the cushions is due to the fabric stretching (but Sensuede is not supposed to stretch) or the filling of the cushions compressing. But I've had a sofa for 10 years with cheap fabric on it, and the fabric never appeared loose. Besides this problem, the Sensuede appears new after two years, and it hasn't faded or pilled or stained. Sensuede is so tightly woven, that no pet hairs will ever weave their way through the fabric.

I'm getting a different sofa with spring-down cushions, and the cushions will be welted this time. I would like to have Sensuede again as it is a very nice, easy-care fabric, but I am still worried that the fabric may end up appearing loose on the cushions. The salesperson assured me that this wouldn't happen since this time I'm getting spring-down cushions with welting which will give the cushions stability. But I have that concern in the back of my mind about the Sensuede appearing loose on the cushions.

What is your experience with Sensuede on upholstery? Did you have a problem with the fabric appearing somewhat loose on the cushions? Will the upgraded spring-down cushions and welts give the fabric and cushions more stability?

What other upholstery, besides microfiber and leather, are durable and tightly woven? Some chenilles tend to pill or even the soft fibers can come off.

I'd appreciate any info, as I have to make a decision very soon.

Comments (4)

• shoppes1
    16 years ago

Sensuede is a marketing name for a Microfibre. All microfibres are not the same, if you are looking for a fabric that will clean easily than go for a microfibre that is made up of mostly polyester, as this will not stain. Ones of Nylon can, after any stain repellant has worn off. In the case of a poly Microfibre it cannot, due to its cell structure composed of plastic. Stains will repel or go right thru not attaching to the fiber itself.

The issue of it stretching is I believe due to the cushion, not so much the fabric, unless the fabric was not backed at all. Microfibre does stretch, but a good Microfibre will have a backing on it to help eliminate this problem. Also like leather, microfibre is a very soft and drapeable material, it will follow the lines of the cushions and fill
    so any creases or softening will appear more exaggerated than any other regular fabric that is thicker and not smooth on top.

Go for the innerspring cushion, it will help make that cushion last longer over time helping suppress the softening which occurs on any foam cushion just depending on the density and weight of the foam used by the manufacturer.

• Mia_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Shoppes1,

The Sensuede fabric does not have any backing. I wish it did have a backing to make it a stiffer fabric for upholstery so that it wouldn't have a draping effect. On their website, it states: "Unlike less expensive imitations, the strength of Sensuede in inherent in the product, so it will not require a backing. Sensuede will not shrink, pill, crock..."

There seems to be pros and cons with every fabric. I love the look and feel of the Sensuede brand, but I don't like that it is a drapeable material. But with other stiffer, thicker fabrics I've looked at, they do not have the durability, cleanability, softness and very tight weave of Sensuede. If you put Sensuede up to light, you cannot see any light pass through.

• lsmith85_houston_rr_com
    16 years ago

If you are very concerned about the Sensuede becoming loose, there are companies offering knit or acrylic backing. Either of these may be considered if you are very concerned about the Sensuede stretching. I work for a company that offers Sensuede in its product line (as well as many other microfibers,) and I have never sent any of this fabric to be backed. My suspicion is that the sofa cushions are the culprit. However, Sensuede is not cheap, and if it would give you peace of mind to have it backed and insure it will not stretch, it is an option you should consider. Overall, I recommend Sensuede because as you know it wears like iron, does not stain, and the pile does not show 'seatmarks.' Good luck.

• Mia_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laura,

I've not heard of Sensuede being sent out for a backing to be applied. Do you know how this process, of backing a fabric like Sensuede, works?

I just wish Sensuede was produced a bit stiffer for upholstery.