SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
femmelady_gw

Tapas & Sangrias

femmelady
16 years ago

I wanted to pass along a couple of over the top good recipes I used Friday night when I had the "girls" over after work for drinks and appetizers. I was tired of the same old same old and wanted something mediterranean and healthy. This recipe for prawns in romesco sauce had us making sounds like that woman who uses herbal essence shampoo! You have got to try this recipe. It's amazing! I've also attached a great sangria recipe and one for chickpeas and spinach. We went crazy for all of these. In addition, I set out goat cheese with herbs, a selection of olives, some chips and salsa, crab cakes (Sam's) with creme fraiche mustard sauce, and I wrapped strawberries and melons with procuitto. A fun time was had by all!! Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures. The table looked amazing.

Oven-Roasted Prawns with Romesco Sauce- Tyler Florence

3 tomatoes, halved (I used canned italian)

10 garlic cloves

2 slices crusty bread

1/2 cup whole almonds, with skin (I didn't have almonds and used pistachios)

1/2 cup hazelnuts or pine nuts

1 pimento or roasted red pepper

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

3/4 cup olive oil

1 teaspoon paprika

2 teaspoons kosher salt

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 pounds prawns, shelled, tails removed, heads on

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Arrange the tomatoes, garlic, bread, and nuts on a baking sheet; roast for 10 to 15 minutes.

Transfer to a food processor and pulse to roughly break up. Add the pimentos, vinegar, oil, and paprika. Pulse again until well combined, add salt. This sauce is best if allowed to rest so the flavors can meld (may be made a day in advance).

Heat oil to almost smoking in a large skillet or roasting pan. Toss the prawns in half the romesco sauce to coat, and pan sear the shrimp quickly in the oil just until barely opaque. Then roast for 10 to 12 minutes in a 450 degree F oven. Serve the remaining sauce on the side for dipping.

Blood Orange Sangrias- Michael Chiarello

3 bottles (750 ml each) Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc, chilled

1-½ cups brandy

3/4 cup orange liqueur such as Cointreau or triple sec

½ cup superfine sugar

1 orange, thinly sliced

1 blood orange, thinly sliced

3 kumquats, thinly sliced

1 lime, thinly sliced

Ice cubes (optional)

(I also added a can of giner ale per other recipes I found for a hint of sparkle, and I forgot the superfine sugar until just now! It was amazing anyway!)

In a large pitcher, combine the wine, brandy, and orange liqueur. Pour in the sugar and stir to mix all the ingredients and dissolve the sugar. Add all the citrus slices at once. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the citrus flavors to come through. Serve over ice, if desired.

Chick-Peas and Spinach Tapas Recipe courtesy Padma Lakshmi

10 ounces fresh spinach leaves, rinsed, or 1 (10-ounce) package frozen leaf spinach

19-ounce can (2 cups) chick-peas, drained and rinsed

1 red bell pepper, finely diced

1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives

1 to 2 lemons, juiced or to taste

1/4 to 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

If using fresh spinach: Cook the spinach in a saucepan with the water clinging to its leaves, stirring, until wilted. Drain, squeeze dry, and finely chop. If using frozen spinach, follow package directions, drain, squeeze dry, and finely chop.

In a bowl combine the spinach with the chick peas, pepper, chives, lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper. Serve as is or chilled with toasted bread or as a filling for pita pockets.

Comments (4)