SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treefrog99_gw

Catalytic working Too well?

treefrog99
17 years ago

Hi,

One year ago I replaced the catalytic converter in my VC Defiant Encore wood stove with a Condar unit. The air vent thermostat was replaced and added 2 probe thermostats were added - one in the back of the stove and the other on the flue pipe close to the stove. Now however, I am concerned because the catalytic convertor may be burning TOO Hot. Here are the Details:

>>-The stove is up to temperature and 75% full of wood.

>>Temperature at griddle top is 550-F

>>Temperature at 'after cat probe' is 1600-1800 F.

>>Temperature at flue pipe where it exits the stove is 1100-1200

F.

The cast iron cover to the catalytic convertor (visible through windows) is glowing red.

These readings are with the air vent lever open just the

slightest amount about 1/4" or less. What concerns me is that this is too hot. The stove owners manual warns against burning the stove so hot that the cast parts glow red. In addition, your temperature probes have warning 'Too Hot' at 950F (I hit 1200F). If I close the vent completely the above temperatures drop about 50 degrees but the cast iron cover on the catalytic

converter continues to glow red.

Perhaps all the above is within the intended design of the stove but I am reluctant to fill it with wood 100% and go to sleep - lest it really overheat and cause a fire.

Do you think that the above temperatures are excessively high? Could this be caused by air leaks around gaskets. The gaskets have been replaced in the last 2 years but if they are not tight enough to prevent air seepage, this may cause what appears to be stove temperatures that are too high. When I clean the stove in the morning, there are still small piece of unburn charcole which seems to indicate that when the fire died down there was incomplete combustion due to a 'lack' of air.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tim

Comment (1)