SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastcoastmom_gw

Help -which direction should I run wood floors in open kitchen/FR

eastcoastmom
15 years ago

Any advice would be appreciated! We are doing a kitchen family room addition. There are no floor joists underneath (it's on a slab) so that's not relevant for purposes of our decision. Existing wood floors in the foyer, hallway, LR and DR. Open doorways to the new space will be a five foot opening at the foyer/hallway space, and the wood planks in the foyer/hallway runs left to right as you are facing the kitchen. Same thing with the dining room - wood floors there are oriented parallel to the new addition.

A large island is running perpendicular to the direction of the current floors. Family room with fireplace focal point runs in a direction parallel to current floors. I'm going to try to stain all floors the same color, however there will have to be thresholds due to the floor heights and our builder feels that we ought to go perpendicular to the orientation of current floors, to "define the space" and alert people to the threshold rather than continue in the same direction.

That would look fine in the kitchen (I like the look of a floor parallel to a long island) but in the family room part the boards would be parallel to the fireplace, which is a focal point of the room.

Are the thresholds a real issue in this situation? Does the island or fireplace issue enter into the decision?

Which way would you run the floors under these circumstances? THANKS.

Comments (6)