SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
florida_wen

Excessive Moisture Concrete Slab Sealing

florida_wen
17 years ago

We live in Florida about 25 miles East of Tampa. Our development is about 20 years old, as is our house. Our house is built on a concrete slab, just as most Florida homes. IÂm not sure if 20 years ago code required a moisture barrier to be installed between the earth and the slab but even if they did, IÂm sure it has disintegrated and cracked by now. We are in the process of removing the original carpet and backing (used in EVERY room of this house) and replacing most areas with ceramic tile, but there are two or three rooms we "would LIKE" to install "laminate" flooring. What we have noticed since we moved here about six months ago, is that when you place an object directly onto the carpet, letÂs say for example a plastic (Rubbermaid) tub with a little weight in it, and leave it there for three or four days, when lifted we find "moisture" and small water droplets on the bottom as well as the carpet being moist. Obviously the same "test" can be done with a piece of plywood placed onto the carpet with a brick on it. We are fully aware that concrete "breathes" and especially with our very, very moist soil here in this development SOME "dampness" would be normal, but we are afraid that ours might be excessive. We were told that we should have an "expert" come out (for ~$150) and do a "moisture test". I know from reading a brand name laminate manufacturerÂs web site that down in the South where we live the "average" moisture content is 11%, the highest in the USA, and the maximum recommended is 14% for any laminate or wood floor. Obviously the results of our "moisture test" will determine what OUR "moisture content" is. I am fully aware of installing a first layer of 6-mil. non-recycled (100% virgin) resin polyethylene film as a moisture barrier, over lapping ALL the seams at 8", then installing the" sound deadening foam" OVER that (taping the seams) and then the laminate flooring. What I am wondering is WHY CANÂT WE "PAINT or COAT" the concrete with a waterproofing SEALER ?? I have used products such as DryLock for VERTICAL, damp walls (such as basement walls) but they do NOT suggest it being used on any horizontal surface. Does anyone know of a product we can brush or roll onto the concrete slab to "seal out" moisture ?? Please help as we really want a "laminate" floor and not the traditional carpet or any more cold, hard, tile in our living room, family room or hallways.

Comments (6)