SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

Tiling a Small Double Room Bathroom:Which Size Square? 12' or 18'

cupofkindness
14 years ago

I've chosen a black Amtico high quality resiliant tile that resembles ceramic tiles to put in our girls' bathroom. It's called Spacia black ceramic. The tile is very black, and doesn't lean toward grey, blue, or greens. The tile is available in either 12" squares or 18" squares. The tiles glue down, and you can use something called "feature stripping" that resembles grout, between the tiles. That, plus the fact that the edges are micro-beveled, gives a very realistic tiled floor appearance. I have Amtico "wood" flooring in my kitchen and love it. After five years of tough use by my family of nine, it still looks fabulous and everyone thinks it's real wood. We have a concrete slab foundation that shifts constantly, so flooring that can't flex will crack or loosen rather quickly. Amtico is nothing like traditional vinyl flooring because it's so very real looking and installs in tiles or planks rather than sheets. Amtico is very hard plus it has a tough wear layer with a low gloss finish.

Anyway, this tile is going into a bathroom that is actually two small rooms which each measure 7 feet wide and 5 feet long. One room has a double vanity (which will be white maple with a black granite countertop) with two sinks in it, so this room will show a lot of the floor. There is a Solatube in this windowless room and there will be mirrors as well. Then there is a 24" doorway into the next room, where the bathtub and toilet are located. There will also be a built-in linen cabinet in this room (30" wide by 21" deep), so really, only a path of flooring about two feet wide from the doorway to the end wall (which has a small window in it) is visible. If the tiles are set on the diagonal, just a single row of three point-on-point eighteen inch tiles would be visible, this would fill the entire space on the floor and you wouldn't see much of the "pattern" of the tiles. The fixtures are white and the walls will be papered in a black/white damask print.

The square tiles will be laid on the diagonal, and the "grout" will be a silvery gray color. What size would you recommendÂand whyÂfor this bathroom: 12" or 18"? I'm leaning toward 12" because the tub/toilet room floor is so small. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

~Cupofkindness

Here is a link that might be useful: Spacia Ceramic Black

Comments (4)