SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crouch_gw

How do manufacturers sell anything sight unseen?

crouch
16 years ago

It seems every time I find something I like in a catalog or on the internet (such as bedroom furniture, a sofa, etc.), it is nearly impossible to find that item in a store.

I am looking at well-known manufacturers and I live in a densely-populated area with tons of stores, and yet less than 5% of any manufacturer's line seems to be available to see in person within a 4 hour drive.

I'm reluctant to buy anything without seeing it for myself, and I certainly won't buy a sofa without sitting in it (or in something from the same manufacturer very similar to it).

A manufacturer such as Hancock & Moore or Leathercraft must be losing tons of business because nobody, even motivated buyers like myself, can find most of their stuff.

Wouldn't it make sense for them to open up large warehouses in certain areas (Southern California, San Francisco area, Massachusetts, NY/NJ, etc.) just to display their entire product line? They don't have to put it in the high-rent areas - just a decent warehouse somewhere within an hour drive or so of the population centers. To protect their dealer network, they could just use it as a display center. Sure it would be costly, but how else do you sell stuff other than by letting people look at it?

The other odd thing is that even when you call the sales reps for these companies directly, they can't tell you what store in your area displays a particular item or even which stores have a large amount of their stuff on display. Leathercraft has no idea whatsoever. I've called every store in NJ that carries them and I found two sofas on display, neither of which is anything like the one I want. I would think the sales reps would periodically call each of their retailers, ask them what they are showing, and keep notes of that kind of information.

Frustrating.

Comments (11)