SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nitajdg_gw

Wood Floor meets Rock Fireplace - Help!!!

nitajdg
16 years ago

Our home has a large natural rock fireplace with raised rock hearth. We just had solid 3/4 inch maple flooring installed. Trying to solve the problem of how to finish the edge where the straight wood flooring meets the very irregular stone hearth. Flooring installer first suggested using a piece of rope that was stained to match the floor color (antique maple) to transtition between the flooring and rock as this could be molded to the rock/grout areas...... I hated the look of this. Now installer has suggested trying to match the grout color of the fireplace and grout in the open spaces. The spaces range in size from 1/4 inch to over 1 inch in width. While this may indeed be the only other solution - I am hoping SOMEONE has come up against this problem before and can offer a suggestion of a product designed for this type of problem or has a better idea then just filling the spaces with grout. My concern with the grout is matching the color. The fireplace has been here for 10 yrs. Prior to our having the wood floor installed, the house had carpet in this room. Any ideas will be most appreciated!!!!

Comments (17)