SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windslam

Desired Moisture Content Of Firewood

windslam
12 years ago

Anyone have some insight on the best moisture content of firewood used in an airtight wood stove that is used 24/7 to minimize creosote build up?

I've been burning hard wood in an air tight wood stove for some years now and although I have searched the web extensively I cannot seem to find a consistent standard for firewood moisture content. I see ranges from 25% down to 7%. I use several different meters to measure the content of the fire wood and they all are close within 2 or 3 percent. I'm hoping someone knows or has a source that can give good accurate information on what is the safest and least trouble free standards for moisture content in wood being used for wood stoves.

I try to get mine down to zero readings on the meters for Cherry, Red Oak, Apple, Maple and Black Locust. After I put it into a well protected wood shed, I notice the moisture meter might read 7-10% a few weeks later. I can take another reading a month later and it will show only 2%.

I burn mine pretty much 24/7 and sweep the chimney and stove pipe once a month to be sure I don't have creosote build up. I also use the Rutland creosote remover as an extra safeguard. My heart sinks when I throw some logs in for the night and hear a slight hiss. I know I'll have creosote if I close the air intake for an all night burn. Most times this is from under the black locust bark. I've started removing the bark from the black locust but this years supply shows a reading of 10% where the bark was and 0-7% on the rest of the log.

Comments (12)