SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetgreen_gw

seasoning firewood

sweetgreen
18 years ago

I've heated with wood in stoves for most of my life, now I'd like to understand more thoroughly the wood part of this. My basic question is, does split wood season in the winter when it's below freezing? My deeper questions are; is it just evaporation of water (H2O) that creates seasoned wood? are there other fluids that evaporate away? is there some chemical change in the wood cell structure, or in the lignin or something else inside wood that changes over time? and does anyone know when the point of diminishing returns occurs with wood? I presume that the longer you let it sit, the more it 'seasons'; but also the more it decays and looses btu value. At what point in time might the ideal seasoned vs btu's be? Or am I way off in my thinking??

I have some ash and oak that was cut in late november. I've read that ash doesn't need to season as long as other woods - why is that? And can I use both these woods toward the end of this winter, only 2-4 months after being cut? The ash was alive when cut down, the oak was from large limb-falls in '04 that just didn't get cut and split till this past nov. Did they season at all before I cut them?

Sorry for the length, and thanks in advance for any enlightening discussion on this matter.

Comment (1)