SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rollinridge

Homeowners Insurance & Chimney Fires

rollinridge
17 years ago

Didn't see a board in H.I. so I'm posting here. If it's the wrong place - sorry, please let me know where I should be.

Anyhow - had chimney sweep out last week for inspection and sweep. (It's been 5 yrs since the last sweep-I know bad). We have an old fashioned masonry fireplace that had a wood stove insert in it - which we've used heavily each winter. I "decided" that I wanted a real fire so we pulled out the insert prior to the inspection.

Baed news - chimney condemned due to previous chimney fires what cracked the lining and bowed the inside of the chimney. (??) When we had the chimney fires - we never knew. Anyhow- inspector suggested we put it through homeowners.

Never filed a claim for anything ever. So I called and had it submitted. The agent calls me back and basically says that since we can't pinpoint and exact date of damage (cause we didn't have any internal house damage/call the fire department stuff) he really doesn't think it'll go through. And - this gets me - it could just be normal wear and tear. ??? Could it really? (It's only 25 yrs old max). He did say to fax over the report - which I have to get - so he can "discuss" it with his supv but it really doesn't sound too positive. I told him that I now have a non-working fireplace that will cost $6k to rebuild. (his attitude-oh well)

Has anyone ever dealt with this? Any suggestions for what do I do?

thanks

RA

Comments (2)