SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

handbag gurus... wanna vote?

amysrq
14 years ago

Okay, this is not a fancy bag. I don't like to spend a lot on bags because I tend to be hard on them. I am looking for something to go with my silver Birkenstocks. (That should qualify my sense of style right there, huh?)

Anyway, I ordered this bag from Zappos and while it is a little too too for me, it is wicked functional. The strap is just right (converts from shoulder to cross-body), the outside pockets will be great for the things I like to access quickly, it's just the right size.

So, do you think it looks cheezy? I checked Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's to see what was in style right now and this isn't so far off the mark. What do you think -- should I send it back and keep looking?

Here is a link that might be useful: Zappos bag

Comments (54)

• golddust
    14 years ago

Thanks Fly, for saying what I said before chickening out and not posting what I wrote; waiting for someone else to lead...

Birkenstocks and this purse just seem to scream a fight, IMO.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Ha--thanks to *you*, golddust, for seconding my post. I sent it and then thought "wait, everyone will probably say it's fabulous and I'll look like a dope" but then I thought "well, at least I said what my true reaction was and she can take it or leave it, and hey, it's not the first time I've looked like a dope anyway :)"

But it *is* hard to shop for bags. Really difficult.

• Related Discussions

My climbing roses Pic from yesterday

Q

Comments (31)
    Thanks again for the kind words. My DD took the pic, she is home from college and I suggested she do a painting of the house. I hope she does! I am glad she took the pic when she did- we have had unusually severe storms and they are a little worn looking now. foxy earth great advice,I think I will do just that! Thanks The little flowers in the front are oenethera -evening primrose. Wow I havent thought of Donna Reed in ages!! Lorna- I love Don Juan( no jokes please!) and Golden Showers. faltered, Weeelll,, they were little when they were planted, by the time they were on the columns just a little, DH was hooked. They do unhook and can lay back a bit to paint the columns. We have done that. Maybe this will help you do it!! ( am I enabling? I think I am enabling you)
    ...See More

Plan for your review, please

Q

Comments (49)
    Mrs Pete wrote: "...Virgil, I understand the entry is long (for a house this size), but how can a room be vague? I don't understand..." Mrs Pete, place yourself as a guest or owner at the front door, and then transiting from the front door through all of the initial entry spaces to finally arrive at the living/family space. That journey is ill-defined and there is nothing in the process that is positive or rewarding other than finally, only finally, arriving into the living/family space. Enroute from the front door one encounters doors, spaces and changes of wall plane to the left and right, again and again. The corridor space widens, narrows, widens--on and on. One can only wonder what all the doors and spaces must mean and where they lead. Are these important or not? Why must I travel through such spaces to reach the important spaces in the house? It seems so thoughtless and unnecessary... This is the sort of thing that a consumer may not even recognize, but it's the thing that every experienced architect quickly sees as a major element in a bad design. The entry sequence in a well designed house is logical, provides positive images and encourages visitors and owners alike. Such an entry sequence not only rewards visitors traveling from the front door, but it also enables them to quickly and positively reach the home's major spaces. In these sketch plans the entry sequence is simply utilitarian at best, and the only encouragement is to close one's eyes until finally arriving into a more pleasant and inviting space. Again, as I said earlier, if none of this matters to you then carry merrily on. On the other hand, if you are sensitive to good design, for you and your guests, then carefully consider what visitors to your house see and experience, making these as positive and memorable as possible. It's the difference between shelter and thoughtful good design. Good luck on your project. This post was edited by virgilcarter on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 23:03
    ...See More

OMG! I'm going to Italy! Help! What would you bring back!?!

Q

Comments (35)
    I brought back truffle oil, garden seeds, olive oil and wine. Italian seed packets are huge. Also, they add nothing to the weight and bulk of your luggage. The olive oil and wine were from a vineyard/olive grove tour. Four bottles were packaged for travel. Bologna is the main objective for my next trip to Italy. From what I've learned, it has the food I would most enjoy in all of Italy. That should be quite wonderful, since all the food I ate on my trip to the region around Florence was wonderful. For a month after that trip, I tried to duplicate those dishes on a daily basis. I did quite well for a while but now the memory needs refreshing. I need another trip. Mementos to bring home would be a low priority for me. The live experience is what's important -- the meals, the wine, the sights, the creature comforts which are abundant and essential to Italian life. They can't be packaged. The glass and pottery are beautiful though. I would probably shop for one of those serving bowls. Also, Italian shoes are the finest. Have a great trip. Jim
    ...See More

What is it about chintz?

Q

Comments (63)
    Circus, Those are lovely. I am going to have a lot of fun going through them. I WAS trying to keep costs down and reduce the "time sink" by only choosing from among Calico Corners lines, but you have tempted me. I just wanted to avoid one of those marathon day long sessions going through fabric books. I thought that was fun the first 10 times I had to do it, but now ... Allison, Hmm I might have mentioned wall paper for the backs of the glass cabinets... Anyway, I went to that site, and I am just drinking up those photos. Either I missed or have not yet gotten to the yellow kitchen; but so many wonderful images to steal from. Also, let me go back and look at the unfitted kitchen recommendation. I think it may be more elaborate then what I am trying to pull off. LOl, Dee Thank you Holly-kay! Lyban, Thanks, I do think it will work in both rooms. And since one leads into the other, Id like the continuity. There is a set of double pocket doors, but I doubt we would close them much.
    ...See More
  • jlc712
    14 years ago

Well- I think it's a cute bag and metallics are in. I just bought a pair of cute pewter flats. I think the bag is meant to be casual and would look great with jeans or black and your silver Birks.
    And it's inexpensive, so it's not like you are married to it forever. It's not cheesy, just a fun trendy bag.
    Just my two cents!
    Jen

• les917
    14 years ago

While I think the style of the purse is fine - casual, slouchy, studded, etc. and would certainly work with the Birkenstocks, I vote 'no' BECAUSE it is silver and would match. Matching is a more formal look and feel, and doesn't work for a casual style. I say do it if you love the purse, but do the black with the silver studs to pick up on the silver Birkenstocks. Or, look for a white bag with silver buckle or other casual details.

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

I think the bag looks a bit "too" in an 80's kind of way. Than again, I had really big 80's jersey girl hair.

I am glad Les brought up not matching. I was wondering if I was woefully out of fashion. I probably am for other reasons, but I dont match my bags to my shoes.

A long time ago I was given a mahogany colored Coach purse. I loved it and have since bought many (LOVE ebay!) I also have a couple of wallets, totes, computer bags, etc. All mahogany. So I mix and match bags, but they all match.

I usually wear black shoes though. I have thought about starting a black coach collection, but I am at the point that I don't really need purses or bags. Coach bags last forever especially when you switch them out every 2-3 months.

• amysrq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning everyone! Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, Fly, I did say wicked. :-) Was a bit sleep-deprived yesterday when I posted. It was the first thing that popped into my head, I had a laugh and just typed. I didn't sleep again last night, so who knows what I will come up with today.

Mitch and Mona, you two both have great taste and I was hoping to hear from each of you. Thumbs up! Yeah!

Jen, you're right, it isn't all that expensive. But even a $55 bag, sitting in the closet unused, is expensive. (I subscribe to the cost per use theory!)

Moon, thanks for the "yes." Not only do Birks come in silver, they also are available in black patent. They are my staple dress shoes when I can get away with it. I hadn't had new ones in a couple of years, so I have two new pairs on the way.

As for the matching, I hear ya Les on matching being kind of silly. But, I tend to live in black pants, a neutral or bright solid color T-shirt and accessories to dress it up (scarves mostly.) I don't think I would match any other time of year except for summer.

Fly, your take on my look is flattering...thank you. I don't know how I come across all the time. And you and Golddust are right -- I have never owned a slouchy, pouchy bag in my life. Maybe it is not a good choice with my increasingly slouchy pouchy bod. ;-) (Golddust...don't be a chicken!)

Boopa, what you said is kind of like what my 16 y.o. daughter said. She told me she avoids that look at all costs so that she won't look like a ridiculous teenager (akin to 80's big hair style, perhaps?) She said it was OK for me but she'd never carry it. Hmmm...what's a Mom to make of that advice?!

I am thinking I will pull the logo fob off and try to switch out the zipper pull on the main compartment. Oh...that sounds like I am keeping the bag, doesn't it? Uh-oh...

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Very pretty purse and the fact that it so functional, well that's a nice bonus. Since I am currently carrying a brilliant turquoise bag, I may not be the best judge of what to buy style-wise. My turquiose bag doesn't match any of the shoes I wear, but I love the bag.

How do you feel about the bag? I would put together what would be a normal day's clothing for you. Stand in front of the mirror with the bag. Do you like what you see?

I think the points made about it not having the same feel as your Birkenstocks are valid, but I've not been one to care so much about the matching rules when it comes to handbags. Also, Birkenstocks are much like the Teva sandals I live in during the summer. I don't think there's much out there that will match that type of shoe.

It is so hard to find the "perfect" purse.

• amysrq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi WIP. Your turquoise bag sounds great! What I see in the mirror is a pretty splashy bag. It scares me a bit! Here are the Birks, btw. Not the usual chunky-strap version. I think they are a bit dressier than the norm. And I always have my toes polished in the summer. Not too hippie, right?

{{gwi:1506472}}

• parma42
    14 years ago

I love slouchy, pouchy.

If you've never owned one, maybe it's time. :)

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

To me birks scream for a slouchy, smooshy bag. What about birks are tailored or streamlined?

Although I do struggle with the concept of silver Birkenstocks! Can't do a mental picture on that one. I like the bag, but agree it doesn't have to be silver to match your shoes. But I do like the silver and it would go with other things too, so for $55 sounds like a nice addition to your purse collection.

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

amy, speaking to someone who has those silver pair of birkenstocks and the black patent ones, and red patent ones, etc. -I've got them all, if you get my point! The silver purse goes with the silver birks, IMO. I mean, metallics are so in, you need a silver purse anyway. A silver purse can go with so much anyway, not just your silver birks. I don't ever wear the old style of birks anymore, they've got some great, more stylish ones now. My black patent leather ones and red patent leather ones have a silver footbed! So, I can dress them up more.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Now that I see your shoes, I like the bag you've chosen even more.
    IMHO, metallic colored bags are wonderful because I consider them to be neutral. The fact that they may be a bit "splashy" is a bonus to me.
    Like you, I often wear black clothing and add scarves and jewelry to break up the "blackness".

In fact, this purse is a recent purchase and I'm really enjoying it.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I think it's really cute and is a nice complement to your Birks. Love the studded detailing and the color! I agree that a handbag and shoes shouldn't necessarily match, but this is a fine blend more than a true match, IMO.

FWIW, I don't see you as "slouchy", but I do envision you as somewhat of a Bohemian, free-spirited type. :-)

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Mona, like the bag you posted; but my opinion on metallic are that they come & go, and they look dated pretty quick. My daughter has a few that have gone to the neighbor kids.

Not nuts about the bag from Zappo's. Not my style.

B Makowsky Chicago Top Zip in Toffee. May be more then you want to spend but his bags are fabulous and worth every penny. This bag retailed for close to $300. I almost bought it in this Basil color a few weeks ago.

Kathy Van Zeeland Disco Daisy Patent II Tote leopard is the next big bag pattern. This bag comes in 2 sizes smaller Same bag but in snake shorter snake

The bags i posted can be bought cheaper at TJ Maxx, Marshall's & Ross. Just got a Kathy bag for my girl for under $30

What do you think of something like this? I just got it from Penney's for $30 IIRC

• golddust
    14 years ago

Just for the record, I don't usually ask much for advice. Mainly cuz I don't care much what anyone else thinks. LOL! That is why I hesitate to *give* an opinion. That said, I trust Monablair's fashion advice. The purse she found me for the wedding is perfect!

You should have seen the outfit I wore yesterday. (I'll never give up my mongolian boots with dresses! I've had them resoled and they have miles left on them. They have been my friends since 1994. Younger people love them, older people stare.)

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Well, maybe in the spirit of trying something new, you should keep it. You won't know whether you will have liked it until you have lived with it for a while. And it's not expensive, as bags go. Not a huge risk.

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

OMG roslvr - I love that leopard bag.

Now I need an animal print bag. Sheesh, I just said above I didn't need any. Darn it!

• yborgal
    14 years ago

boop, I know what you mean about animal print bags. I'm liking that one roselvr posted.

However, I have to show off my animal print purse bargain. I got it for $1.00 at a garage sale. It's in perfect condion; the lining is satin and has no smudges. Honestly, I'm not sure if it was ever used. The exterior is entirely beaded and no beads are missing.

I know, it's tacky and it's gaudy. But for $1.00 I just couldn't resist.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I don't want to hijack Amy's thread, but please post pics of your Mongolian boots. I want to see them!!

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

The leopard bag is the sister to this B Makowsky leopard

B Makowsky is married to Kathy Van Zeeland.

This is the bag I'm using right now; B Makowsky, glove leather Stone with toffee accents. I have it in 2 colors - this 2 tone which the picture does not do justice to and a toffee color crock embossed.

Toffee crock embossed and showing the inside -

We bought this at Penney for my daughter; I might steal it Nicole Miller $40 on sale comes in 4 colors

This is my basil B Makowsky.. this is in TJ Maxx discounted

Then, my Santiago Crossbody organizer by B Makowsky - got it for $80

This is the back-

• golddust
    14 years ago

Ok, Mona. I will post a pic of my mongolian boots. And I don't care if anyone likes them, either! It'll take me a few minutes. LOL!

• amysrq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, roselvr, I thought I had a bag problem! ;-) That's quite the collection you have there. I love the animal prints, too and agree that they are "neutral." (shhh....don't let funcolors hear me saying that!) I am actually carrying a small leopard LeSportsac right now.

For me, using a cross body bag has become essential. I just don't feel comfortable setting my bag in the grocery cart any more and I don't have the patience to mess with a shoulder bag while I am reaching for the best head of lettuce. Shoulder bags always seem to be in my way.

I am going to keep the little silver bag. Thanks for all the advice. I have a hunch that it will be so practical, I won't care if it's silver. Oooh, come to think of it, I seem to remember different colors. Off to Zappos for another look...

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Amy - Once you start using the bag, you won't give it a second thought. You will absolutely forget you are carrying it. I forget about my turquiose bag unless someone pays me a compliment.

I am almost ready to switch over to my wristlet. I found a nice Coach pink with coral trim last season on sale. Anyhoo, I used it last summer as I hurt my shoulder and couldn't stand carrying the big bag. I felt a bit odd at first with the color thing. It didn't match most of my clothing, but I loved the colors and wanted to a break from the big purse.

Enjoy your new bag!

• amysrq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh deliver me...they have it in red...

• yborgal
    14 years ago

You mean Flame Orange? I love it; but you're getting more brave with each passing day, aren't you?

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

Y'all are a terrible influence. I have now bid on two coach bags on ebay and I am lusting after one that is $800! It is a gorgeous zebra print with Mahogany trim that matches all my other pieces. It matches. That means I have to have it right? ;)

Maybe I will find it cheaper some day.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

boop, I love purses, but $800 puts that one out of my league.

Has anyone here rented a designer bag? I have a friend that does this on a regular basis.

She rents from BagBorroworSteal.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I never had a bag problem.. well I did up until my late 20's but I was into cheap bags.. After having kids, I went to the practical bag - I found it at a flea market; one of those organizers; check book was in the back, sunglasses had a pouch; strap was long enough to cross body or I could wear on my shoulder. About 10 years ago, I bought a bunch from JC Penney; and still have a few in my stock just in case; but that cheap $15 sale bag lasted me years.

I took my daughter to TJ Maxx in July to buy her a bag for her 16th birthday; it was $100. I would never pay that kind of money for a bag for myself. I walked around and saw a sage bag; had the softest leather & was in love. I dreamed about that bag until the next month when we went over that way again. The store is 45 minutes from home. The green bag was gone but they had others; once again, I walked around the store with this bag; this time taking a picture of the designer but didn't buy because it wasn't my type of bag.

The 3rd time I bought 2 bags; that basil bag & a black one & am now hooked. The bag has to have good function though. Hubby hates them; & misses my organizer bag. They were really useful when going to Philly because I could put magazines & water bottles in them.

He has no clue what I've spent on these bags. The 2 tone I just found online for under $110 which is less then what I paid. If anyone is interested, send me an email I'll give the link.

I don't know how many bag I'll buy.. I really can't afford them; but I don't like his newer bags; so I'm on a hunt for the older bags.

Amy, have you checked any of the stores I listed? I'm almost positive they sell that brand of bag you bought.

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

oh my goodness Mona - me too. I go to ebay to get cheap bags and I don't mind gently used when you can get a $250 bag for 10-20% of the original cost. I am sure it didn't cost $800 new either, they are just taking advantage of the fact that it is rare I guess.

This is the bag....
    (darn it, can't figure out how to post the pics using google chrome - I just started using it)

Now that I am looking at the ad, it says it retails for $1400. that can't be true, can it?

Here is a link that might be useful: zebra bag

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Actually, The Zebra bag retails for $1480. I just looked it up.

Hmmmmm, I think I'll buy one for myself and one for my daughter.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

It retails for $1,480? Dear God - why?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Why not? Or, why would anyone pay that, for that?

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

I have a large plastic storage box full of handbags in my closet. Some are 30 years old. I love the old Coach bags. Before the Coach family sold that business to farm goats and make cheese. That's when the Coach "signature" fabric bags hit the market.

One of my biggest pet peeves is free advertising for a designer/manufacturer of clothing, handbags and the like. I don't mind if the logo is inconspicuous, but jeez, when there are C's all over it, I am not buying it. However, those C bags were all over DD's middle and high school. WTH? When I was that age, I never owned a bag that cost what Coach signature bags go for now.

My Coach bags are the old solid leather in British Tan, Black, Brown, etc. Back in the day when they were butter-like leather, and the only indication that they were manufactured by Coach was the small embossed leather patch on the inside pocket.

Sad having so many beautiful bags that only see the light of day if I am traveling and need a large handbag. You can tell I had a baby/small child when I bought many of those bags. DSIL and I have the same very large brown leather Coach bag which we now lovingly refer to as the "American Tourister". LOL Great bag, but much too big for our now "grown children" life status.

I really can't imagine spending $1,500 for a handbag, but I guess I should never say never.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I suppose it's all relative. If you have that kind of disposable income, you might not bat an eye at dropping a grand (or two or three or more) on a purse. I just have a hard time considering a handbag made in China as an "investment", and that's what it would be for me at this point in my life. I guess if you were going to carry that handbag every day for years to come, it might prove its worth - but it would still be hard for me to justify it on that basis. (Then again, I justified a very nice Swiss watch entirely on that basis a number of years ago, so ... to each her own. :-))

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Yeah, I am with you on the watch auntjen. I have been wearing my investment day in and day out for over 10 years and it will easily look just as nice in another 10! Can't say that about a handbag you carry every day for 10 years! LOL Heck, I would be lucky if I got a year out of a bag I carried every single day. Then again with me, there's that attention span thing with handbags (that of a gnat).

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

As said, I wouldn't spend more then $25 on bags for myself; and those lasted me years. I don't know what it is with the bags I like but the butter soft leather & his colors, plus the lining get me. Once I have the colors I have my eyes on, I'll stop buying bags.

What does everyone spend on bags? What do you consider too much? The bags I buy are no where near what he sells them for on QVC, Macys or Dillars. The bag posted above is not my style & even if it was, I'd have a limit. I'm looking at bags on ebay & won't pay what they are asking because I know that I can get it cheaper if I wait.

What do you guys think of this?

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I have a strange reaction to this purse. The style looks okay, but the color just bothers me and I don't know why.

The skin pattern looks too busy and mismatched at the seams, maybe that's it? And I certainly don't shy away from patterns and designs.

Again, I don't know why I feel this way but it looks "cold" to me and just not appealing. It's probably an expensive purse, but I'd never buy it at any price.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

I am just really boring, and cheap, I guess. I like finding an Aigner bag over at Marshalls/TJ Max and paying maybe $40 or so. I like it to be leather, have lots of pockets and at least one outside area to jam my keys or phone into. I also don't like a really big purse either. And it needs to be able to stand up on its own, not flop over if set down on the counter. I guess I'm picky too!

There is no way on god's green earth I'd pay more than $100 (and that'd be a stretch) on a purse...but that is just me! There are lots of things I spend on that others would NEVER do as well. I hear ya on the watches, ladies! Chandeliers anyone???

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Some of you might think I was obsessed with shoes and handbags! I have many of both and keep all my handbags wrapped in muslin bags then in a plastic storage box.
    All shoes are kept in their boxes.

Most of my handbags aren't the greatest but if they are not dated or dirty, I keep them a long time. Different clothing styles require different handbags, like jewelry, to me it's all part of a pulled together look.
    I like fossil and Lucky brand bags the most the past couple years.

I love metallic bags and that's a nice shape and color on that ecko bag.
    I have a pewter messenger Sak bag that I loved last summer.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I'll find out in a few days when I get the bag. I've been dying for a snake in this color - my original bag that I wanted; I just couldn't win an auction for. This was on for 3 days; popped up in a search I did the other day. I'm tired of fighting buyers on ebay for what I want.

The bag is probably a bit too small for me; but I won't know until I have it. I've searched all over for the bag to see other pictures; seller says it's from QVC; couldn't find it.

I lucked out with it. I asked the seller to sell it to me as a buy it now - told her to name her price - she refused. In the last 2 minutes of the auction, I bid; then someone else got in on it. Something told me to up my bid- I did.. I never saw the 2nd bidder till it was over. Got the bag under $78 - usually the snake bags by B Makowsky (it's his bag) go for $150 in this color; so the seller took a chance with not selling it to me as a buy it now. I was going to buy 3 bags total & bought only this one because she ticked me off.

Next bag I want is a natural (tan) snake. That color is easier to find.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Please don't be ticked at the seller for not doing a Buy It Now sale to you. It's considered poor form to cancel an auction and relist under a new format.

Plus, a seller used to be able to limit bidders to a particular person so essentially it would be a prearranged private sale, but that's no longer allowed. Someone else might have jumped in before you had a chance to buy it.

Also, he would have had to pay his original listing fees and new insertion fees.

In addition, he had no guarantee that you would follow through on a purchase even if he had done as you asked.

IMO, he handled your request in a proper manner.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I contacted a few sellers last week; one I was the high bidder but the reserve wasn't met. I wanted to buy the bag & told her what I'd be willing to pay.. she wished I'd contacted her sooner because she would have canceled the auction & sold it to me. What it ended up selling for was less then what I offered.

I spoke to another seller who was very interested in selling me a bag; she needed to get merchandise sold. This one is on hold on my end. If she sells it to someone else, fine.

The lady I bought that bag from, I was going to buy multiple bags; she had a lot of stock & IMO it would have been worth it because the bags I was going to buy didn't sell. Even if she paid cancellation fees; I was prepared to pay between $125 & $150 - as I said, I got it for $78. It worked to my advantage.

Now if I could get the other seller that either sent me the wrong bag or listed the bag she sent wrong; that would make me happy. From what I see of her auctions; I think she listed the bag wrong - used wrong pic & description..

Emotionally with getting the wrong bag, plus losing the snake I really wanted because my browser hung.. I'm emotionally drained with ebay.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I'm tired of fighting buyers on ebay for what I want.

But ... that's the whole point of eBay - "battling" other buyers! ;-) I guess under the premise that "it never hurts to ask", you may get lucky a time or two if a buyer agrees to pull an auction before the first bid and sell to you outright. That doesn't seem to be fair to any others who are watching the auction and planning to bid though, and defeats the whole purpose of listing an item for auction in the first place.

• golddust
    14 years ago

I am a member of 'snipe it now'. They make all my bids for 1% of the winning price. I never enter an Ebay bidding war. I snipe it 10 seconds before the end of the auction. Plus, I can cancel a snipe any time I change my mind without anyone knowing. (One must NEVER back out of a bid.)

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Yeah Jen.. I know. Normally it doesn't bother me because I have a system but I've been trying to win one bag for weeks & was the high bidder one week but the reserve wasn't met. I would have gladly paid more for that bag.. that was the one I lost the other day.. my hearts a little broken over this bag. lol I'm also broken hearted over the bag I was sent - I'll post the photo below.. it's ugly. It's not what i bought in the description or picture :(

Gloddust; I'm going to have to check that out. I normally snipe on my own in the last few seconds. It's what lost me the bag I was high bidder on. Had I bid 1-2 minutes before auction end; I may have won cause the price would have gone higher then the reserve.

{{gwi:1506486}}

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Oh, I really like the shape and style of that purse! The color ... eh, if my monitor is reading truly, it's kind of a dead-skin color! No wonder you aren't happy!

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

It's supposed to be sage, and a one strap hobo bag. The color is dingy on this bag; on the bag I was buying it looks better.

I dislike 2 strap handbags. I use a cane with my right hand, carry the purse on my left shoulder; the 2nd strap is another step for me; having to take my hand off of the cane. The bag I ordered I can use with one hand.. it's my favorite purse; I have it in black. The only reason I've been using the 2 with 2 straps is because of the shape, I can stick my hand in it to pull out my wallet without having to put my cane down.

This is what it's supposed to be

Amy sorry for throwing your post off topic.. I should have started my own. I've been wanting to start a handbag post for a few weeks; since before the Kentucky Derby post.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Roselvr, did you click "Send Second Chance Offer?

And did you contact the seller and ask what the Reserve Price was? I'm pretty sure she would have relisted the purse, since it didn't sell, and you could have bid the Reserve Price and won it. Or, you could have asked her to relist it with the starting price being the Reserve amount.

Anyway, as a Seller, I would have worked with you. But I wouldn't have canceled the auction.

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

What is the name of the sniping program for ebay?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I use Auction Stealer. You get three free snipes per week.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz