SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

Question about quarter round on baseboards on tiled floor.

Shannon01
16 years ago

Ok, my downstairs will all be laminate with standard baseboards and quarterround. But there is the entryway, hall, bath, laundry that will be slate tile- someday hopefully sooner than later. I will be using the baseboards and also the quarterround to complete the look. Currently there is carpet and old laminate in this area.

DH says I have to remove the baseboard to install the tile. But the tile is a little higher than the laminate so when the two rooms join the baseboards will not match- No, I will not raise all the other boards to match up to this, huge waste of time and material. I was told to install the tile right up to the baseboards and simply install the quarter round. Just making sure this is right way to do it. Right or wrong???

Then onto the master bath. Entire upstairs is carpet. We want to tile only the masterbath which has an open entrance off the master bedroom. There are baseboards in masterbed and bath. If I put tile in bath should I remove the baseboards in bath area and reinstall on top of new tile or should I put tile just up to baseboards and put quarterround down. My other question is this, is it going to be weird to have quarterround in bath area but not in carpeted part of bedroom? We like look of the quarterround so we would like to use it if possible. I can end the quarterround at the entrance area very nicely. I will be using flat porcelain tile for this room.

So I have some pretty easy questions here, hope you all can help.

By the way, I just tiled my hearth with granite and although it looks amazing it is probably one of my least favorite DIY things to do. I think the uneven slate will be much more fun as it is more forgiving than flat granite.

Comments (8)