SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Would you think this is insulting?

lyfia
14 years ago

We have some issues with our ducting and thus heat/cool is uneven in areas. Got tired of dealing with the builders ac guy not getting it fixed so decided to get quotes from other companies to get it fixed on our own - been ~ 2years now. I only ended up having one company come out before I got too busy and they said they'd mail me the quote. At one point they asked for my husbands name (he wasn't home) - didn't think much of it as they asked about my last name since there are another family with the same last name down the street (far removed cousins of DH).

Well I didn't see anything in the coming weeks and then completely forgot about it as I got so busy with work and other home stuff and things going on.

Well I was just cleaning up a pile of mail that was mainly stuff addressed to my DH. I don't open things that's addressed to him and he doesn't open things addressed to me in general. I was sorting through looking for my stuff to clean out the junk mail and go through anything I wanted to keep/file and by chance saw the envelope with the company's name and it rang a bell, however it was addressed to my husband - not mrs DH or anything.

I opened it as I know DH doesn't mind even though we generally don't do that and there was the quote I'd waited on. Now it's been about 3 months since this happened and when I asked him he said thought it was some junk and hadn't gotten around to open it.

It's not the end of the world and I did forget about it myself and didn't have time to solicit others (means being home during a work week). However I'm annoyed they didn't send it to me. I'm the one that would be paying for it and I'm the go to person in our household for anything house related. DH will tell them when they try to talk to him "talk to my wife she handles that".

Then comes the problem I keep thinking about it and from the perspective that they are taking "in my mind" an archaic approach and sending things to my husband and it sort of offends me like I'm some second class person even though I'm the one requesting the quote and would be paying for it.

Is this archaic or is this the norm. I'm used to mostly DIY, but since we had a child I don't have time to do things anymore or choose not to as I'd rather spend my time with her. Maybe it is a generatation thing, but I actually feel insulted by it.

I tried to take the approach of ignoring it as in the big scheme of things it is so minor, but I still can't help feeling insulted.

I would like to know how you'd feel about it. Is it a generational thing, maybe because I've been on my own and handled things for many years and work in a professional environment dominated by males and there are never any gender issues there that I'm just out of touch with the rest of the world or ...

Comments (36)