SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcollie_gw

The Perfect Customer

dcollie
16 years ago

I have an 82-year-old lady that shops with me and I just love her. She comes in and knows exactly what she wants, and doesn't beat around the bush. Today she comes in and in her thick German-accented English says 'I need a good wing chair that is comfortable and beautiful - what do you have for me?'.

In less than five minutes she settles on a Southwood 1741 Ball and Claw, then she says "You help me find a fabric, yes?" Takes about 15 minutes, and I select a very plush blue geometric weave. knowing what she has in her house already. She says "Great!" I ask her if she wants to take the swatch home to check it out in her room and she replies "I don't think it will look any different there, no need to do that."

I tell her that this is an expensive chair. She says "Is it good quality and will not break? Is the fabric nice? If so, then good things cost money, it will be fine." And that was all there was too it. No moaning about the price, no quibbling.

After we write the ticket up, we sit down for a little bit and (as a history buff) I beg her to tell me her stories of growing up in the Rhur Valley of Germany under the Third Reich and Adolf Hitler - like I do every time she comes in. Its fascinating to hear of her life as a 14-year-old girl in 1939 Nazi Germany and being bombed day and night for five years by US and British aircraft. How many people can you sit down with and get that kind of firsthand account? She makes my day every time she comes in and at 82 - hasn't finished furnishing her house yet.

-Duane Collie

Comments (4)