SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momorichel

Bookshelves - custom or Calif Closets?

momorichel
10 years ago

We have received two bids and designs for a wall-length bookshelf/media center in our living room. The cost is very similar for both, and designs are similar also.

The carpenter says he will use plywood with a maple veneer that we can stain or paint. He says that using maple throughout would be cost-prohibitive.

The California Closets is MDF with some kind of veneer - I don't think it's actual wood. It's pretty but looks kind of fake to me. Both designs will be attached to the wall - not actually built in (we don't have the wall depth for that) but we like the attached idea since we live in quake-country.

I wonder:

1. Can anyone can comment on the quality issue of plywood with veneer, and his statement that using real maple would be cost-prohibitive?

2. Does anyone have experience with California Closets bookshelves? They have done a closet of mine and I am really happy with it, but it's not a focal point of aesthetics in a living room, and I feel that might be different.

3. Any environmental concerns that weight the question in one direction or the other?

4. And finally, any feedback in general about going with a local contractor rather than a franchise like Cal Closets??

Another option we looked at was Room and Board bookshelves but right now we are leaning toward one of the above.....comments on Room and Board quality??

thanks all for your input!

Comments (3)