SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
warmfridge

What flooring would you use in my kitchen?

warmfridge
14 years ago

I am about to remodel my kitchen because I'm disabled due to a back injury and I need more ergonomic counter heights and storage space.

My ''kitchen'' is actually one section of a great room. The kitchen and dining area half currently has vinyl. The living room half has prefinished oak.

The dining area is also occupied by two parrots. There is a piece of carpet remnant under their cages but they can fling sticky, goopy, messy food an incredible distance. They are house-broken but they have accidents, their poop is acidic and highly prone to staining whatever it contacts, and unnoticed accidents bind like Super-glue to hardwood. In past homes, vinyl and Formica laminate have withstood their messes pretty well.

I'm trying to decide if I should stay with vinyl in the kitchen/DR area, or go with something else. I think stone or tile is probably a bad idea with my back problems. I'm also not comfortable with laminate near kitchen appliances which could potentially leak (I live up north where frozen pipes are a fact of life). Then I think about doing the whole great room in oak...it would look lovely but I don't think it would fare well with my messy pets.

I don't really see any advantage to switching from vinyl to something like Marmoleum as it would still be a synthetic in half the GR. Cork next to the oak LR...I don't know.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, or considerations that I'm missing? Thanks!

Comments (3)