SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiki_thinking

Paper bag treatment for concrete basement floor

kiki_thinking
11 years ago

Have you guys seen any of the web pages talking about covering floors with torn up grocery bags or pieces of brown craft paper? You tear the edges to make a deckled edge, crumple the paper, dunk it in watered down Elmer's glue, then smooth it down on the floor. After it dries, you can stain it if you like, then coat it with multiple coats of polyurethane. Everyone says it makes an inexpensive hard wearing slightly resembling leather flooring.
Many people claim to have done concrete basement floors in it with no problems.

We have a concrete basement floor that has a thin scraped residue of some sort of carpet or vinyl adhesive (very small trowel marks, white In color).

I'd be thrilled to have a smooth durable flooring since I work with stained glass there and the texture that is there, even though very small, still is enough to trap tiny glass shards and make cleanup difficult.
I don't usually like crafty finishes, you are not going to find me sponge painting walls etc, but this finish to my eye doesn't look terrible. Just google paper bag floors, hundreds of examples pop right up.

I know that concrete floors allow moisture to transpire, so does it sound like this could really work? We eventually want to put in heated tile floors, oe a heated concrete floor, or maybe eventually some sort of hardwood. So I don't want to find out down the road that my cheap crafty solution has actually caused a much bigger problem.

Thoughts? Could this work and be durable? Will it cause a problem with future options?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (7)