SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mel_nj

Hickory White

18 years ago

I live in NJ and am trying to find a Hickory White dealer in NJ. There website is of no help. Says coming soon. Need help either with finding a way to find dealers or if someone knows of dealers in NJ or if someone has a phone # for Hickory White - any of these will work for me.

Thanks

Comments (25)

• 18 years ago

From the Hickory White website.

Locations in New Jersey

A & R Interiors
    26 Broadway
    Denville, NJ 07834
    phone: 973.625.8950
    fax: 973.625.0395

ABC Carpet & Home
    400 Huyler Street So.
    Hackensack, NJ 07606
    phone: 201.641.3400
    fax: 201.641.1656

Beach Dwellings
    260 21st Street
    Avalon, NJ 08202
    phone: 609.335.9311

Chapelle Fine Furniture
    40 Homans Avenue
    Closter, NJ 07624
    phone: 201.784.6226
    fax: 201.784.8666

Greenbaum Interiors
    101 Washington Street
    Paterson, NJ 07505
    phone: 973.279.3000
    fax: 973.279.3006

Greenbaum Interiors
    1105 Mt. Kemble Avenue
    Morristown, NJ 07960
    phone: 973.425.5500
    fax: 973.425.6848

The New Jersey Decorating Exchange
    3 New Bridge Road
    River Edge, NJ 07661
    phone: 201.342.0110
    fax: 201.342.6908

Wesco Co.
    214 Route 10
    East Hanover, NJ 07936
    phone: 973.887.0517
    fax: 973.887.1573

Lloyd's Furniture
    130 West Main Street
    Somerville, NJ 08876
    phone: 908.725.3405
    fax: 908.231.9309

Uptown Country
    867 Black Oak Ridge Road
    Wayne, NJ 07470
    phone: 973.831.8300
    Copyright © 2006 Hickory White Furniture : All Rights Reserved

Here is a link that might be useful: Hickory White Dealer Locator

• 18 years ago

BTW, the HW website is under construction which is good because the old one was terrible. You can view much of the HW collection at lexfurniture.com. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lexfurniture.com

• Related Discussions

Hickory White Upholstery vs Macy's McCreary Modern

Q

Comments (2)
    I saw your post and was not sure if you had made your purchase yet but thought I would answer anyway. I was the cutting and sewing supr. for Hickory White Uph. in High Point before it was moved to Morganton 2 yrs. ago. I purchased a large ottoman from the 1800 series to go with my Motioncraft furniture which is also made by Sherrill Furn. I have seven grandchildren who have jumped, rolled, pushed around this piece for the last 10 yrs. and it still is in great condition and looks well. When I transferred back to the Morganton plant I sold it due to a smaller room in our apt. My sofa and two leather recliners from Motioncraft have really held up well over the years and they have never been reupholstered and the fabric on the sofa still looks great. Sherrill Furniture owns Hickory White and Motioncraft and I think you will find all their furniture is made well in addition to looking very stylish. I am a comsumer of their product not just an employee and I think you would be very pleased with the quality of work that they produce.
    ...See More

hickory white chairs

Q

Comments (2)
    Do not hesitate in buying Hickory White. Hickory White makes beautiful, high quality furniture. I have quite a few pieces in my home. Hickory White offers literally hundreds of beautiful fabric options and many finishes---you don't have to get the one shown on their website, I suggest you call another store and find someone to send you sample swatches to choose from if this place isn't willing to do it. Secondly, there is a lot of upholstery on that chair and I would be leary about using it for everyday eating, even if it were a darker or printed fabric. It's inevitable that there will be spills/drops on a chair that gets used every day of the week, especially the arms, that fabric would definitely get dirty quick. Although a lovely chair, I would consider another style chair for everyday dining, one that doesn't have fabric on the arms/sides.
    ...See More

Bernhardt vs. Hickory White for cost?

Q

Comments (3)
    evcm, appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. john, Yes, I have priced the HW from Lex. I was looking at the long british club table and the side chairs from the kings row collection. Table is $2399 and Sidechairs are $517 a pop. Not cheap, but substantially better than anywhere else I've found. Boyles wanted over $4k for the table alone. I guess what I'm wondering is HW the type of quality that I can have 20 years from now and still look decent? (of course tastes might change). Realitically we'd use our dining room about 6 times a year, so it would be lower traffic on the furniture. I didn't expect Bernhardt to be heirloom furniture, but surprised how bad several folks have knocked it. Thanks again for your help. Andrew
    ...See More

Where to sell Hickory White & Hancock & Moore?

Q

Comments (2)
    I would try eBay to get to a wide audience.
    ...See More
  • 18 years ago

Thank you john wc. Until today their website was not working. When I put in my zip code or my state the site was not responding. But today it finally did. I've called a # of the dealers listed. No one has bedroom pieces from their American Home collection on the floor. But their catalogs will be better than any website and will at least get to see the wood samples in person. I will keep you posted.

• 18 years ago

Good luck. I like Hickory White very much. It is available at aggressive discounts and is excellent quality furniture. One of the best furniture buys out there.

• 18 years ago

john wc or anyone else - do we know where Hickory White is manufactured? I called the web site that john wc gave me for prices and asked where it was manufactured the woman that I spoke with wasn't sure but she thought in the states. Hickory White's website gives no information.

• 18 years ago

Hickory White is owned by Buddy Sherrill of Sherrill Furniture. Hickory White's upholstery is made in High Point, NC. Approximately 50% - 60% of HW's case goods are made in Hickory, NC. The remaining case goods are made by Theodore Alexander in its Vietnam plant. Theodore Alexander is owned by Buddy Sherrill and Paul Maitland-Smith who is a furniture industry veteran and the pioneer of fine furniture manufacturing in Asia. Paul Maitland-Smith founded Maitland-Smith furniture company, a high end manufacturer, and manufactured its furniture in the Philippines. He later sold M-S and started Theodore Alexander.

HW uses quality wood products and still uses real inlays not veneered inlays like many other manufacturers. If you buy a sideboard, for example, and the drawer face is mahogany, the drawer box will also be mahogany. HW makes both solid and veneered furniture.

• 18 years ago

john wc - where have you picked up this type of knowledge? I have been looking for a bedroom set for an embarassing 6 years. I actually had something ordered many years ago and the retailer found that one of the pieces was discontinued. And I've been looking ever since. My problem is when you go into a store they are all going to tell you that the lines that they carry are of good quality. I have been looking for an independent source to get quality info on my own. Sometimes the websites of the manufacturers will have info but with Hickory White's site being under construction I was unsure where to turn to get info.

Bottom line - can you suggest a source of info that is a true unbiased description of manufacturers? I would really appreciate anything you can share.

Thanks.

• 18 years ago

Some members have recommended a book or two, but I have never read them. Maybe someone will chime in with the name of a book they liked.

How did I pick-up this knowledge? I have been a woodworker most of my life. I love furniture, pure and simple. I was a confused consumer of furniture early in our marriage, and starting making it my business to learn all I could. We have bought a great deal of furniture in our lifetime. We became friends with the owners of three different stores and learned a bunch from them. They still had their biases however, but I was to soak up a lot. We live in Atlanta thus NC is an easy drive. I have gone up a number of times to various stores and outlets and asked a million questions. I also tour factories whenever possible. I love the smell of chiseled wood and sawdust. Don't know why really.

Also, a few years ago I medically retired as an EVP with a large corporation so I threw myself into a new industry and learn all I could about it. I chose the furniture industry. ThereÂs still much for me to learn. I read some posts and have never heard of the brands a member asks about.

My personal approach to buying furniture is to concentrate on best buys. I buy from discounting machines, not marketing machines. Marketing machines include any store such as PB, RH, WS, EA, etc. that prices at retail and any manufacturer that enforces Minimum Retail Pricing (MRP). MRP limits discounts that retailers can apply to furniture purchases. Moreover, there is an inherent price/quality relationship from every manufacturer. IÂll give you two opposing examples. Hickory White is upper middle in quality but more in the middle on price. Steep discounts are available through retailers, probably up to 60%. HW represents a strong Best Buy in my opinion. HW is not Henkel Harris or Statton, but it also carries a fraction of their price. Now an example on the other extreme, again in my opinion, is Century. I like Century furniture very much and they offer great styling. It is also in the upper middle range. But the MSRP is ridiculous. I recently priced a buffet with a wrought iron top for our breakfast room that my wife fell in love with. Even at a steep discount, the price was outrageous. Not an example of a good value proposition.

For the record, my favorite case goods manufacturer is Henkel Harris. You will pay for it and discounts are limited to 40% except when there is a manufacturer sponsored sale. But HH cannot be beat in my opinion. My favorite upholstery maker is E.J. Victor. Again, not cheap but outstanding quality.

I have been planning to start a thread listing furniture Best Buys. I have some some health problems at the moment so have to pace myself. Will do as soon as possible.

Good luck.

• 18 years ago

john wc - I look forward to your upcoming thread on furniture Best Buys, and I hope your health improves soon.

• 18 years ago

John_wc

You are definitely a valuable source of information. I also love furniture and created a database of vendors, sources and info like MRP, etc. to make sourcing for my clients easier. Your comments are part of my file notes.

You mentioned books we like for furniture buying...I liked
    "Shopping for Furniture" by Leonard Bruce Lewin. He used to be a furniture insider and writes on everything from understanding quality construction to rating manufacturers. BTW he also thinks EJ Victor is exceptional. Its a fun read and a great resource.

Best wishes for good health - hope you feel better soon :-).

• 18 years ago

I like one of the fabrics by HW at FLS, but I still need to pick out a chair. My question for john_wc or others is .... where in NC would I be most likely to find a good selection. I am looking for a fully ulphostered chair with a small scale.

The HW prices seem good, and I'm relived to know they receive positive ratings on this site, as I was skeptic b/c of their poor website. EA carries the same fabric, but the chairs are like $300 more!

• 18 years ago

The HW website has a retail locator by state and NC has many discount sources listed. Among them is Boyles and Rose Furniture. I would start there.

• 18 years ago

Both Boyles and Rose furniture have big mark ups because of the rent they have to pay. Check smaller stores, less overhead.
    We shop with www.almanfurniture.com (ask for Joel). Rose was surprised at the prices they quoted and sold to us, said they were selling to us at "cost" and how could they make any money? Well, they've been in business a LONG time, family owned, and they don't overcharge their customers and are so nice...that's how they stay in business... They even gave me a name of another store to check when they didn't carry the mfr I requested. We've bought 2 roomfuls of furniture from them....they're great! Alman Furniture Newton, NC 828-464-3204

• 18 years ago

Hi everyone, Interesting thread. I am also in NJ and was trying to find info on Hickory White. I wish they would put their website up. I have been searching for a large round dining room table and was told to the check out their line. I do most of my browsing on the web, pricing from Lexington and Lenoir Empire Furniture and then when I find my price range I go to stores to try to actually see & feel the furniture. I was having a hard time -- I work in Manhattan and they don't even have a rep in any of the design buildings! I went to 200 Lex the other day and checked out Henredon-Hickory Chair-Century-and a few others. Saw a couple of things, not my range. I would like to price Hickory White, but I need to know what they have on their Line!

And Thank you John WC -- Everything you mentioned is so helpful . . . I would love to pick your brain on other manufacturers . . . Can't wait to read your thread when you post it . . .

Feel Better

Mel -- have you checked out any of the stores in NJ -- I am down south by Great Adventure. . . Most of the stores are North - I guess I should try to make of over to Lloyds.

• 18 years ago

Hi annmarie62,

You can view Hickory White's collections at the link below. I agree about their website and their marketing. I thought it would change after Sherrill acquired them but apparently not.

Here is a link that might be useful: LexFurniture

• 18 years ago

annmarie62 - don't bother with Lloyds. The only thing they had on the floor was a coffee table from the American Home Collection in the black finish. Decorating Exchange of NJ in Hackensack had the square dining room table on the floor. I made calls to most of the NJ dealers and the Decorating Exchange was the only one with anything on the floor. Decorating Exchange price for the pieces I purchased were $6700 vs $5072 from Lexington. I also had an e-mail price quote from Rose and shared it with Lloyds. Rose's quote was $5300 and Lloyds' owner was not interested in matching the price. In the end I ordered from Lexington from Kentucky because of the 3 (Lexington, Boyles and Rose) they were the lowest.

Good luck. Let me know what you decide.

• 18 years ago

Thanks Mel, You saved me a trip. I used to go the Lloyds over in Shrewsbury, but they closed, I wonder why?? hmmm . . . They had just okay stuff, I was never really impressed. How big was the square table at the Decorating Exchange? I am looking for 84 Round or Square. Basically to sit 10-12 people. I usually browse down in Zaksons in Brick, but that is a 45 min. ride for me. But they have great stuff. Or the Woods, they are a lot closer, but haven't seen anything in there lately. I'll have to see if my DH will take a ride up to the Decorating Exchange. What a pain. . . I think I"ll call them to see what other lines they have, and if there are any other ones I am interested in. I wouldn't buy from them, like you, I shop down south where things are more affordable. . . I have been looking and thought I was finally settled on a Hickory Chair set, until I just found out from a very reliable source that they are having quality issues on some of their collections. He is going to find out for me if it is on any of the pieces I picked. For the price of this stuff there should be no quality issues!

Good luck on you set, I'm sure it is beautiful!! I'm pretty confident that Lexington is a reputable company, I remember the first time I called them, they gave me the number of the BBB to ease my conscience. I haven't yet ordered from them because I got a company in Phila. to match their price and Phila is a lot closer to complain to if anything is wrong.

• 18 years ago

annmarie62 - don't remember the size of the table - I don't think closed it will fit 10-12 but with a leaf I'm sure it would. I am fairly certain that closed it would accommodate 8. It was from the American Home Collection so maybe a search will find you a site so you can find the size. Decorating Exchange is a full service store. They have rugs on the premises plus lots of fabrics for window treatments. It is one of those stores that is packed to the gills. Hard to get around but a lot of nice stuff.
    White House furniture in Fairfield also carries Hickory White but again didn't have anything on the floor from the collection.

What was the name of the place in Philly that you did business with? May check them out if and when I need to make any large furniture purchases in the future.

Thanks.

• 18 years ago

I bought from Lexington Furniture - Madison was my sales person. Excellent service. Highly recommended. I have confidence in them.

• 17 years ago

I am new to this forum..so forgive me for the late postings and inquiries. To those consumers that have purchased from Hickory White recently. How was your merchandise? Received in new condition? Damaged???
    To: john wc, have you come across a conversation regarding manufacturers taking back damaged furniture, repairing it (to their satisfaction), and selling it to another consumer as BRAND NEW. It seems to me that when a consumer is sold a "reconditioned" piece of furniture they should be told such. Selling anything other than BRAND NEW seems like fraud. I am told this is customary by Hickory White. However, I have not come across many other consumers that are aware of this fact. I have had a bad furniture purchase experience with Rose Furniture in North Carolina. I brought my plea to Hickory White for back up...and they would not deal with me personally. This whole process has been very frustrating, time consuming and expensive. I want to help others avoid the same difficulties and am trying to get the facts straight. I was hoping Hickory White would be more responsive to my dilemma since I have not received the proper customer satisfaction from the retailer Rose Furniture. I am finding this manufacturer does not want to deal with the consumer and when there is a problem with the retailer the manufacturer such as Hickory White doesn't care.

• 17 years ago

here is my take on new furniture. I built a new home and bought mostly new furniture. I ordered some Hickory White, some Baker, Ficks Reed and some MacGuire pieces. NOT ONE came in perfect condition! I was working with a designer and she had a craftsman come in and fix the stuff. I am not happy with the idea although almost everything looks great, but you can't ptove if it was shipped damged or damaged in the delivery. We are still fighting with baker over and expensive and badly constructed DR chandelier and a bench cushion that looks like upholstered it (and I can't sew!)
    The problem is no one really cares about quality and after waiting a year for some of my stuff, I got tired. One set of chairs took 4 months and then were delivered in the wrong finish. Thank god they still had the fabric. They orderd new chairs for me, but it took another 4 months. At some point, I gave up.

• 15 years ago

This is a great thread; I'm looking for furniture now, and the comments are quite helpful.

• 15 years ago

john we

I agree that Henkel Harris is great furniture. I bought 2 pieces 17 years ago and i am still in love with them. I saved for a number of years to get them. When I did order it took 11 months to get them and I knew that from the start. It was so worth the wait. I just received a postcard saying that the warehouse in Winchester VA is having their first ever sale.

• 15 years ago

sherase,

I am not aware of Hickory White taking back damaged furntirue and reselling it. I would think they would sell such furniture thru one of their outlets. Well I assume they still have outlets.

I have bought a good bit of HW furniture over the years from Boyles in NC and local dealers and it has always been perfect. And trust me, I am super picky.