SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosylady

Please Help With My Tiling Dilema

rosylady
11 years ago

My husband and I are renovating an old house. About half of the work we've done so far has been DIY, half has been with contractors.

My dad was supposed to do all our tiling. He is a VERY experienced DIY'er who did all the tile in his bathrooms using the Schluter/Kerdi system. He planned on using the same system for our house.

He is now unable to do the tile for us. We have purchased the Kerdi drain for our shower, and have laid plywood on the floors as the underlayment for our tile using Ditra.

We cannot afford to hire a tiler this year. Our project would cost over $10,000 just in labor if we hired a pro.

My husband and I have never tiled. It is crazy to think we could do the tile job ourselves? And, if we do, should we stick with the Kerdi system, or just do it the regular old way?

Our current contractor could assist us if we get stuck doing it the "regular way". My dad could assist us if we do Kerdi, but not much. He could just give advice over the phone.

What do you think we should do? We have done all the plumbing and electrical for the whole house ourselves and passed inspections with flying colors, so I think we are generally competent people!

Thanks

Comments (6)