SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tompowers535

Choosing a Pellet Stove

15 years ago

Hello:

I live in SE Mass. My wife and I are having a 20' X 24' sunroom added to our house. We have a natural gas boiler with Hydronic heat. We intend on adding Radiant heat under the tile floor in that room but would like to supplement with a pellet stove.

I am reading so many negative reviews I am getting concerned. We had looked at an Avalon Arbor but I couldn't find any reviews on it. I went to another Avalon/Lopi dealer today and found out that Travis industries makes a twin to this unit called a Lopi Leyden and are identical except for a cosmetic decoration on the outside.

I was able to find plenty of reviews for the Lopi Leyden and non of them are good. I have been trying to select a brand and model that a majority of people are happy with. I read horror stories from all of the manufacturers - some with bottom feed and some with top feed. Some people can't locate parts. The list goes on and on.

We have had a wood stove in the past but were hoping to burn pellets now but I am concerned with the many moving parts.

I am torn between Harman, Quadrafire, Lopi, and Avalon and which brand would be better.I am flexible on exploring another brand that you may recommend.

We are able to install a natural gas fireplace instead of a pellet stove but I am worried of the cost to run it vs a pellet stove.

I would appreciate any advise you may be willing to give me.

Comments (5)