SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Quadrafire Insert - Yes or no?

jerry_nj
16 years ago

I am going out today to look at a Quadrafire Fireplace insert, most interest in model 3100-I. Any advice/experience?

We have had an insert in our outside wall masonry fireplace for over 15 years and loved the way it looked and heated the house. However, as it was just an insert, dumps smoke directly into the FP smoke chamber, the fireplace has developed heavy creosote and now makes the whole house smell.

I have had it professionally cleaned, and have washed the fireplace hearth and inside walls and had a 'lock-top' damper installed at the top of the chimney to seal off air flow, but we still have an odor problem.

So, it seems a "final" fix is to install an airtight insert with full stainless steel chimney inside the fireplace chimney, and with the space around the SS chimney filled with a sealing insulator, from the smoke shelf to the top of the chimney...this I am told will stop all odor from the existing ... they will also do a "rotary cleaning" to break off some/most of the hardened creosote...can hardened creosote smell?

Anyway, looking for input on Quadrafire experience as well as any experience on stopping old fireplace smell/odor.

Comments (16)