SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

pls give me advice on jinxed wood floors

meg711
17 years ago

I will try to make this short. In our new construction home (we bought a spec house) the builder installed quarter-sawn 4" oak floors. I thought they were white oak but now I'm not sure. We picked a stain color, then they applied Swedish Finish, three coats I believe.

When they were supposedly done, it was clear there were areas that needed extra care: noticeable swirls marks, drip marks, hair in the finish, many many holes, etc. So they hand sanded those areas and added yet another coat.

It was recently pointed out that where they hand-sanded, they opened the grain of the wood. When you stand above, you can see a change in the grain on that board, and a change in the stain color, plus there's a difference in shine (more noticeable from farther away). This is in numerous places and looks awful.

The flooring guy is coming tomorrow to try to remove the fingerprint dusting powder stains (didn't I say this floor was jinxed?) and I'd like to point out these areas. I also have questions about the softness since I'm seeing tons of indentations--and we aren't even in the house yet. (You should see the damage done by five policemen with their shoes on.)

We've already moved our stuff in and my husband wants to just move in and be done with it. I hate the floor. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this problem with the opened grain? Anything that will prevent these dents?

Thanks!

Comments (15)