SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

Tile grout is discoloring?

loralee_2007
14 years ago

I have a unique "problem".

When we built our house in 2007 I picked out the grout to use with our tile - which of course they didn't use. I had picked out the grout to use which would "blend" with the tile, so the tile would be the focus, instead of the grout.

My husband was away the weekend they installed the tile (of course) and by the time he got back over the weekend, the tile & grout was installed - the grout being quite whitish, against Continental Slate - Egyptian Beige tile. The effect being, the grout was very noticeable instead of blending in with the tile like I had picked.

Having said that....now 2 years on....the grout in the main usage areas has "weathered" to the point that it is now the color I wanted it to be, but there are still areas that are "whitish", which doesn't look so uniform now. Guests don't notice it (or maybe they don't say anything?), but I do. And it bugs me.

So I have 2 questions:

1) What can I do to color the remaining grout so that it is more uniform? (No treatments have been applied to the grouting)

2) Once I get the coloring to the uniform effect that I want, I have heard varying comments on sealants. Experts have told me it's not worth it; laymen swear by it. Who is right? I don't mind the effort: Down on my knees with a toothbrush to apply; thank god it's only 700 sq ft on 18x18 tile LOL

Your advice is sincerely appreciated!

Comment

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations