SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haley2001_gw

pregnant wife, fumes, dogs, water vs. oil polyurethane

haley2001
17 years ago

Hi. Having oak floors refinished in bedrooms and living room. Currently have hardwoods in hallways. I had thought water might be the way to go, but I have some reservations. Here is situation, what would you recommend?

Lage dog with scratching the floors from his nails, is one finish better over the other?

If I go with water, will bedroom's finish/color be close enough to hallways previously done with what I am sure was oil?

Wife is pregnant, so water has its pros with less fumes and being able to get settled back in quickly. She will be out of house for few days during this process. I am told smell lingers for weeks with oil and she is very sensitive to any smells now...

Last question, I have been told that you sometimes need to put down more coats on the water based every couple of years as it wears is this correct? How many coats are recommended for dog situation for water and for oil?

I guess I am wanting to go with the water because of time to apply and get back settled in, and less fumes, but am worried about durability, scratches, wearing, and the ability for it to flow/match with previously done floors in halls. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank, Hal R.

Comment (1)