SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zevi_b

Help: Decision time on woodburning fireplace...

19 years ago

Hello,

In the house we moved into, there's an open "cavity" and an outside chase for a fireplace. I wish to have a wood-burning fireplace installed there.

Although this fireplace is not intended to be a major contributor to heating the house, I also don't want to see my hard-earned heating money flowing up the chimney as the family enjoys the aromatic crackling fire.

I came up with the following objectives:

(1) free-standing stoves are not considered

(2) it should have a blower fan option

(3) it should have a sealed-type front door

After searching high and low, reading reviews and talking to dealers, I'm converging on the follwing models (rough prices were given to me for the fireplace unit only):

(a) Majestic - PureEnergy BFC36 (about $2300)

(b) Quadra Fire - Model 7100 (about $3600)

(c) Heat-N-Glo - NorthStar (about $3300)

I'm inclined to go with the Majestic, because I don't think that the extra cost of the other more efficient models is justified, given the intended use. When all done, these models are going to be about $1500-$2000 more expensive than the Majestic.

Your infinite wisdom is desperately sought !

I would *really* like to learn what you think about these models. Are they charging me too much? Better place to shop? Is there a reason that I don't think about right now, which makes the higher-end models worth the extra $1500-$2000 ?

Looking forward to read your comments!

Thanks in advance,

Zevi (in SE Michigan).

Comments (14)