SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

Refinancing

kittiemom
15 years ago

We refinanced in March 08 with a fixed rate of 5.875%. We also obtained a HELOC from a different company. My bank quoted me 4.875% for a 30 yr. fixed on Fri. I explained the HELOC & the banker said they might insist on that being paid off. The following numbers are just for illustrative purposes:

Amt. owed on mortgage = $160,000

Home purchase price was $200,000, we put down $40,000 (20%), so we are paying no PMI

Home appraised for $234,000

HELOC = $50,000

Amt. of HELOC used = $15,000

My banker said that they wouldn't ask that the HELOC be paid off if the HELOC lender would agree to sign the paperwork to make it a secondary mortgage, since it would move into first position chronologically if we refinance. He was concerned about the fact that the HELOC (if the total amt. was used) plus the original mortgage is 90% LTV.

It is very tempting to refinance. I would like to lower the payment again. We would like to use about $5,000 more of the HELOC for some additional things around the house. Also, I like the security of knowing that we have it avail. at a low interest rate. My banker says DH & I would have no trouble refinancing even now. We both have good jobs & excellent credit histories. In fact, when we refinanced last year we did it just on DH's income & credit. We obtained the HELOC in June & I know things have tightened considerably since then. I've read that most banks now won't do over 80% LTV including both the HELOC & the mortgage. We live in an area where housing prices have held up pretty well, but I'm not sure that the house would appraise for the same amt. that it did nine months ago. It might, but I have no way of knowing. I guess we could go ahead & apply for the mortgage & see what the appraisal comes in at. Is it worth it to refinance & risk losing part or all of our HELOC? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions