SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooperbailey

She is my hero. A ship in a bottle set sail...

cooperbailey
14 years ago

My hero. My little girl. Many many tears and fears and many heart stopping middle of the night calls from her dorm room. But she is incredibily strong and made up her mind to fight an eating disorder with the help of a therapist and nutritionist. She had begun binging and purging at Christmas that year and at spring break she came sobbing to us that she couldn't stop.We were very fortunate that she came to us rather than hiding it. When she went back to college that week she had a therapist here in town one in her college town and a nutritionist in a nearby town. By the end of the semester it was full blown. She found herself on the verge of being hospitalized in her sophomore year and pulled herself back from the edge. As an athlete she knew that when you fall in a race- you get up and run- you don't go back to the beginning. And so it is with recovery from an eating disorder.

To quote Dave Matthews Band- she is "a ship in a bottle set sail."

The other day she was asked if she would like to share her story on her nutritionist's new blog. And I am pleased to post the link here. She emailed me when it was posted, and I could not close the page all day. I kept looking at her, remembering how seemingly out of the blue her painful journey began. And her story doesnt begin to tell her brave fight.

I am pleased that she asked me to go with her to lobby on the national eating disorder lobby day in DC April 27 in order to raise awareness of eating disorders as a public health issue.

Today is a good day. I know the future can be rocky. but today is a good day and she will have a lifetime full of good days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lauren's story

Comments (26)