SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethpen

Acupuncture 'Rejuvenation'

Bethpen
12 years ago

I've been seeing an acupuncturist for about eighteen months. Originally it was to treat my lower back, where I have a chronic issue. I also had a really nasty heel spur that was causing me some serious pain. (I work as a waitress sometimes). My therapist took a class for treating the heel spur and within three treatments the pain was better. By six treatments it was all better. I was shocked.

My therapist just took a "facial rejuvenation" course and needed a guinea pig. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, and don't mind the needles at all, so she asked me. We did before photos and probably next week we'll do another set. I agreed she could use them for advertising. (yikes).

So the treatment has about 93 needles in my face. The body points are on my arms and legs too. (But she also treats my back and anything else that is bothering me during the sessions) It is a little painful because she is new with the smaller needles needed for this treatments. It gets better every treatment. I did end up with a couple small bruises the other day. They didn't bother me at all, but she was horrified. When I saw them I laughed, then I wondered if I was 22 would they bother me? Probably.

Anyway, I will report in with results. I have seen this advertised, with a price tag of about $1,200. So far my 11's still look like 11's...maybe a little less deep. The good news is the extra treatments are making my back feel fantastic!

Beth P.

Comments (9)

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I'm glad to hear about your heel spurs and back improving.
    You really do have a high pain tolerance- 93 needles in your face- wow.

I hope the facial rejuvenation works well!

• hhireno
    12 years ago

How interesting, I can't wait to hear about the results. That is excellent that your back is feeling better.

How long does it take to have 93 needles inserted? How long do they stay in?

How are you spending the $1200 you 'saved' by being a guinea pig? Sounds like time for some new clothes to highlight your stronger back and smoother facial skin.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

I'm glad to hear you're loving your acupuncture. I'm a big fan, just wish my insurance covered more of the sessions.

I'd be interested to see how the rejuvenation works. I can't imagine 93 needles in my face! Yeeps!! But I'd bet it does help with circulation. Post pics if you can.

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hhireno, I never thought of it as saving money. Mostly because I think I would never spend that much on such a thing. Well, at least at this point. Mostly I am happy to help my friend and I'm very curious. My sister gets botox injections, and again, I just can't see spending money on that when I want bedroom furniture!

The needles take about 25 minutes to go in. Mostly I think because my therapist is new at these smaller needles. Also, they need to be inserted shallowly, so that is also something that takes time to figure out. Once all the needles are in I think I lay quietly for about 45 minutes. Some days I feel like I can feel energy flowing more readily, but other days not so much.

It's a fun experiment no matter what. The good news is I am getting free treatment for my back. I will report in at the end!

Beth P.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Oh, I know you weren't thinking of it as saving money. I was just encouraging you to think that way. :-)

So the money you're not spending on this can go towards your new bedroom furniture.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

That's fantastic. So refreshing to hear someone who is trying the natural/far less traveled route dealing with aging. Acupuncture is amazing, and who wants to put needles full of poison into their face anyway? I can't imagine that at some point in the future we will hear that all of these botox injections and the like are very bad for our bodies.

I'd really rather keep my wrinkles, at least for now.

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hhireno,
    Funny I just read that on my way to the furniture store with DH. (again). My drapes came in this week and we hung them today. Can't wait to post a photo, they're perfect!

Beth p

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I'd post an update about my experience with facial rejuvenation acupuncture.

I went twice a week for 5 weeks. There were something like 93 needles all together, some in my arms and legs. (I was mistaken when I thought they were all in my face).

My last appointment was last week and I really did see great results! The lines between my eyebrows look MUCH better. I think overall my skin look brighter. Now I'm not sure I would pay $65 a treatment and go that often though. By the last week my face was tender and I did have some bruising. It was a pretty big time commitment too. I don't have the before and afters yet, I'll post them when she sends them to me.

The protocol calls for a tune-up every month or so and I think we will continue with it since I did have good results. I like to go every three weeks for my back anyway. I figure it can't hurt!

Beth P.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

I'm so glad you reported back, I can't wait to see the pictures. I could sure use some help with my eyebrow lines. Somehow scowling about them isn't helping the situation.