SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sniffdog

Slighly OT - Does the Volt Make Sense?

sniffdog
15 years ago

I am holding on to my 98 and 99 Honda Accords for as long as I can - hoping to buy a next generation fuel efficient car. I heard about all the hype of the Volt escpecially as I watched the boobs from the Big 3 ask for and get our tax dollars to bail their butts out. Saw the hype on the Volt and thought - hey - that looks like something that makes sense. Then I started doing the math - it doesn't add up.

I can buy a Honda Prius Touring right now for 25 grand (Toyota web site price). I assumed it would get 42 MPG for me since my 70 mile round trip commute is mostly highway driving. That is a daily cost of $5 assuming 3 bucks per gallon (gas can't stay at 1.50 forever).

The Volt hype says 40 grand for that car. First 40 miles consumes 8 kWh of power. My average loaded electric rate (includes all charges) in VA is 10 cents per kWh - so it would cost 80 cents per day to charge. Then the specs say the Volt will get 50 MPG on the charging motor - so that would cost $1.80 to cover the remaining miles - for a total of $2.60 per day. So at best, the volt saves me roughly $2.40 per day IF it delivers at spec.

Lets say I drive the car for 10 years (only for work) - the Volt saves me around $6200 in fuel. But it cost 15 grand more to buy! And the Volt battery costs 9 grand!!! What if I need a new one of those in those 10 years - it is a GM after all?

Am I missing something? How is the Volt going to save GM? Is this another scam or is my math hosed up.

Thanks

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996