SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanl_gw

finally finished the stonework!

suzanl
16 years ago

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/suzanl/?action=view¤t=stoneybrook11-21-07113.jpg

We are building our version of the Southern Living Harrod's Creek home. After 6 months, the stonework and stucco are completed. The roof is another story - we hope to have it done by the end of December. Now we can move on to the interior.

Comments (24)

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Couldn't get your photo to open. Is your album public?

Congrats on the stone, I'm dying to see it!

• suzanl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, I tried to post pictures...I will try something else.

• Related Discussions

Bathroom window finished, finally close to finishing the remodel

Q

Comments (2)
    Kevin, it really took me by surprise when I scrolled down! The treatment is beautiful and I think stands up well with the other strong elements in your room, including your cat ;) In particular I think it is a good fit with your vanity in style and substance. Now the real test is ... do you find yourself laying in the tub gazing up at it lost in thoughtful admiration?
    ...See More

Finally finishing the finishes! TKO to the max!

Q

Comments (34)
    Chloe's Mom, I was joking about the ugly--the swivel is fine. But, yes, very dangerous. I've been plopped onto the floor by these several times. Swivel pedestal chairs would be cool! Very mid-century. We had them when I was little (Atomic age, but swivel). I thought of orange grout too! And nixed it for the same reasons. But also because I don't want to call attention to the floor. I had a really dynamic floor once and learned my lesson. If you have a really really great floor people will look at it. I want them to look up. :-) Kris, it's the perimeter that will have the pond. I flirted with granite that looks like river rock for the island, but wised up. It would have drawn all the attention, and I really don't like granite for kitchen counters. Hence the tile. :) The inspiration for the pond was really the tiles. The frogs. And waterlilies, vines, bamboo and ginko blossoms. I just loved them. And everyone has been giving me grief because the giant I painted where there are no upper cupboards is going away. This'll give 'em something to look at.
    ...See More

Finishing Up Kitchen Final Details

Q

Comments (1)
    Why not mix brass and black for the chandelier I do not like thta light for the sink it is way too traditional looking.
    ...See More

Finally, something finished!

Q

Comments (8)
    Looks like you finished four somethings! Cute kitties. Sometimes a smaller project is just what I need to get re-movitated. It looks like you used up some scraps and tried out a few new blocks too. Nice work.
    ...See More
  • suzanl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HOpe this works!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• suzanl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Still trying to learn how to do this! Sorry!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Nice!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! I just love Stone!

• eventhecatisaboy
    16 years ago

Oh my stars! Beautiful! Keep the pics coming! Great eye candy LOL!!

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Suzanl~

WOWWWWWWWWWW!! It looks gorgeous Suzan! I am so excited for you.

SIX months for exterior. Wow. I'm sure you are anxious to get crackin' on the inside. How exciting.

I recall you saying you added a basement to the plan. Did you add any space above garage, or anything to the garage?

You know we purchased that plan, and I still want to build it someday. After seeing Kellyeng's "cousin" to the house, and now your version, I'm just more in love. Hopefully it will work out down the road. I really love the floorplan, the unassuming look, the comfortable "come on in--- yet still opulent in it's own right" house.

Good job. Gorgeous build site. Congrat's on the progress. It's looking wonderful. Keep the photos coming! And please remind me what you changed on the original plan. :o)

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

What an absolutely beautiful setting, and the home isn't too shoddy either. The stone is very similar to one i've chosen for my new build in TX. It has a name, but at the moment escapes me~duh. I was wondering~where are you are building?

• ilmbg
    16 years ago

GEEEZ- What a beautiful home! It would take me a week to walk from one end to the other!! 6 months to do just the stone exterior? Wow....Or 6 months to do the whole thing this far? Anyway, it is obviously a time consuming project! How long until it will be done?

• cork2win
    16 years ago

Gorgeous house and setting. Do you have acreage? Would love to see more pics! We're going on 5 months and don't have any exterior siding/stone done yet or roof finished, so we're moving at about the same pace as you it seems.

• DYH
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! Absolutely!

Cameron

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

Holly guacamole, that's a lot of stone! Are you not doing any stucco at all? I would love to see pics of the back. Did you stick with the same square footage of the original plan? We just couldn't afford the same footprint of the original plan. Too many windows and exterior walls plus a complicated roof put it out of our reach. I'm feeling a little jealous!

Here is a comparison of houses for the Harrod's Creek lovers!

The original Harrod's Creek Plan in Austin:

{{gwi:1520004}}

Here is Suzanl's House:

{{gwi:1520005}}

And here is my modified/mini version:

{{gwi:1491656}}

• suzanl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It has been such an ordeal building this house. Our builder is used to building more "traditional" homes and this one is a little challenging. The Southern Living plans we purchased are not very specific regarding details...We are using a metal roof and it is being installed now...for the second time. The stonemasons are great, however! We are using stucco on the sides and on the upper part. Our sq footage is a little different than the original-we enlarged the kichen, the master bedrm and added a partial basement. We are building in birmingham , Alabama. It actually looks bigger than it is because it is all mostly on one level. I will try and post more pics but I still don't have it completely figured out!

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Just beautiful! Harrod's Creek is one of my all time favorite SL homes! Congrats!

• kelntx
    16 years ago

Just beautiful! I love it!!! I love stone. I can not wait to see more pictures!

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

kellyeng~

Thanks for posting the comparison's. My heart did a little fluttering leap as I saw the first photos, since those original photos are still on my laptop and I gaze longingly at them now and again. :o) The 3 homes are each gorgeous in their own right!!

Suzanl~ Can I see how you changed the kitchen? When we were working with designer on our plans, we were moving the garage away from the back kitchen wall so the kitchen would have exterior windows (we had views of mountains out that side we wanted to enjoy from kitchen too). It doesn't appear you've moved the garage, so where did you bump out? The sides? The length towards the garage? Did you keep the breezeway/carport, or just make enclosed garage?

Can you tell I still want to build this home so badly? Maybe after we're finished with our new one in the south. (I'm actually not terribly far from B-ham now.... hint, hint. ). I'll be available for your open house. :o) LOL!

It's gorgeous. Can't wait to watch the progress. :O)

• krislrob
    16 years ago

Beautiful. I love the stone. Wish we could afford stone, but it's out of our reach right now. I'll be happy to get my flooring!!

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Kellyeng, where is Harrod's Creek? I'll be starting a build in Austin within the next month, and can't recall anyone ever mentioning HC. I'm not fortunate enough to be building a custom, but yours is beautiful, as is Susan's. TX has many beautiful homes, and you don't have to cut off both arms to own one. LOL I'm very excited to be moving there from San Diego! Any CA's in your neighborhood? If they sold here when the market was red hot, i'm sure they could build an estate size home with every amenity for a mere $700K. ;o)

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

PC, Harrod's Creek is in the Spanish Oaks Subdivision off of 71. It's a gated community so no drivebys possible:( We toured the house when it was a 2003 (or '04?) idea house for Southern Living and it was our inspiration to build.

As a matter of fact, my next door neighbor is from LA, CA. They just moved here in the spring. The husband is actually a noteworthy actor & playwright. DH is a musician of some note so they have bonded!

Sorry for the hijack Suzan!

• suzanl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the kind comments. It helps me keep this build in perspective. We will have an open house when we're finished and everyone in the B'ham area is invited! TB-we bumped the kitchen out 4 ft, added a pantry and kept a more narrow breezeway. We added windows in the kitchen-I had lots of reservations about looking out onto the stone but it has turned out well. We'll add (eventually) some sort of wall mounted water feature for more visual interest-not ideal, but I like windows! They are supposed to put roof #2 on starting today!! Tb, how is your beautiful house coming along?? Are you in the Huntsville area? YOu'll have to invite us to your open house which I'm sure will be long before mine!!

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Suzan~ Oh goodie. I will gladly come to your open house. No kidding! I was so jealous that Kellyeng got to see "my" house on the tour in Austin (2003!), since I only bought the plan a year ago. Too late for the tour IRL. I'd LOVE to see yours. I do much better being in a space, rather than looking on paper. The virtual tour on SL was the next best thing, and is much of why we chose that plan... I had a basic idea of what it would look like when finished. :O)

Did you have to have plans engineered for B-ham? How did you go about getting your roof plan, as it didn't come with one?!

Did you keep the guest bath over near the office? Do you have it open to the office as well as hall (like it showed in the original plan online)?

How are you liking the upstairs space? I'd love to see that bedroom up there. In planning our changes, I was trying to figure out if there was enough room for 2 twin beds in that upper bedroom, with the eaves lowering the ceilings on the sides of the room. What do you think? Is there room for 2 beds in the bedroom above the garage? What about the bonus/play room up there? And the bath? Does it seem large enough for 2 girls to share?

Yes, our open house had better be before yours! LOL! You are more than welcome to come see it when it's finished. :O)

Tile is done on 1st floor, except a few odds and ends in the master bath. They moved up to the 2nd floor today. Set the ceiling tile in 2 of the glass showers.

Of course, my kids were soooo excited to see their bathroom starting to take shape. Each person my 4 year old ds saw was enthusiastically told that "they are tiling my shower" and then he would proceed to tell them it's "blue" when they asked what color.

Ummm. No. It's a beige/tan tumbled travertine. And he does know his colors. Maybe he's wishing it was blue? :O) LOL! Hmm. Now I'm wondering if he is blue/brown color blind. I'll have to test him further. :o)

Electricians began installing plugs in 3rd floor, as well as some lights on 1st floor. Tomorrow more lights are scheduled for delivery. I believe they are my kitchen lights..... so excited to see those! Today drywall finishers FINISHED spraying the texture in bedrooms on 2nd floor. So thankful they are finished up on our home finally! Yahoo!!

Okay, back to subject at hand.....

I am serious. I'd love to see your home when it is finished, Suzan. :o) Please share lots of photos along the way. I intend to build my HC house someday. I'll live vicariously thru you until then. :o)

• lyds
    16 years ago

We are building a stucco/stone home in NC. Suzani, your home is beautiful. What are you using for your porch and walkway? I am trying to decide between flagstone, acid stained concrete and tile. Since I am using Owens Corning stone around my front entrance and porch, the builder believes the flagstone may be too much. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are doing tile on our upper terraces and screened porch and acid stained concrete on our walk out patio from the basement level.

• Brian Larson
    2 years ago

In case anyone is interested in how this house turned out, here is the Zillow ad from 2021. The price of the property includes the home, 62 acres, and a horse barn: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7098-Stoneybrook-Xing-Leeds-AL-35094/83898440_zpid/?view=public