SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chase_gw

French Onion Soup and.......

chase_gw
16 years ago

I have my head around serving French Onion Soup to guests at the cottage this weekend. Actually I'm fixated on it thanks to posts on a few recent threads ! LOL

I'm stymied as to what to serve with the soup given timing issues and other foods I'm serving this weekend.

Must be something that can "keep" because arrival time is iffy, or it could be something I can do really fast. Just don't want be starting the meal when they arrive , would rather have it all waiting for them......or close to.

They will be arriving on a cold winters night having driven 3 hours so it needs to be "comfy food", I don't think a salad is hearty enough...but maybe....

Saturday I am serving Reuben's for lunch and stroganoff over home made noodles for dinner. So I don't think I want to serve a sandwich or pasta with the soup.

I'm stuck and need your inspiration.....guess I could forget about the soup, then it's wide open, but I really want to serve French Onion Soup.

Only restriction is one of the guests will not eat pork/ham/sausage.....

Comments (35)

• woodie
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow - what a food fest, everything sounds wonderful (especially the Reubens).

What about MQ's roquefort popovers or some kind of a bruschetta?

MQ'S Tiny Roquefort Popovers
    From Williams-Sonoma

Vegetable oil, for brushing

1 cup (5 oz/155 g) all-purpose (plain) flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
    1 and 1/4 cups (10 fl oz/310 ml) milk, at room temperature
    2 eggs, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
    3 oz (90 g) Roquefort or other strong-flavored, crumbly blue cheese, crumbled
    Position an oven rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 450 (220C). Generously brush two 12-cup nonstick mini muffin pans with vegetable oil.
    In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, white pepper, and parsley. In a large measuring pitcher, whisk together the milk, eggs, and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk together until just combined (don't worry if a few lumps remain). Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups to within about 1/4 inch (6 mm) of the rim (about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons each). Place a scant teaspoon crumbled cheese in the center of each filled cup.
    Bake for 10 minutes. Do not open the oven door during this time. Reduce the heat to 350 (18O°C) and continue to bake until brown and crusty and fully puffed, 8-10 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and immediately transfer to a warmed: platter or napkin-lined bowl. Serve at once. Or, let cool on racks (for up to 2 hours, then reheat in a 350 (18O°C) oven for 10 minutes.
    MAKES 24 WARM BITES.

Lemon Parsley Bruschetta
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    6 (3 1/2 by 1/2-inch-thick) slices rustic white bread, halved
    1 large garlic clove
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

Whisk the olive oil and lemon juice in a small bowl to blend. Season with salt. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the bread until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Rub the cut sides of the toasts with the garlic. Generously brush the lemon mixture over the bread. Sprinkle with the parsley. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Phyllo Wrapped Asparagus
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
    8 or 9 asparagus spears, depending on size
    1/2 (16-ounce) package frozen phyllo dough sheets, thawed
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus. Unwrap the phyllo and cut the stack in half lengthwise. Reserve 1 stack for later use. Cover the phyllo with a damp towel to keep it from drying out. Take 1 sheet of phyllo and brush lightly with some melted butter. Sprinkle with some Parmesan. Place 2 to 3 asparagus spears on the short end of the sheet. Roll up, jelly-roll style. Place each piece, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Brush with more melted butter and sprinkle with more Parmesan. Repeat until all the asparagus spears are used up. Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I think a salad and crusty bread does compliment, of course, but how about hot chicken salad too? Or roast beef and scalloped potatoes and salad.

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Onion Soup Fondue

Q

Comments (0)
    I just made this last night. We loved it! I use low sodium beef broth (Swansons) and the Better Than Bouillon brands beef and chicken base which IMO helps keep the over-saltiness out of the soup. You can then add back any salt you desire. I put the pot in the refrigerator overnight. Loved removing the fat that was sitting on top of the soup the next morning ;>) Onion Soup Fondue 1 to 1.5 sticks sweet (unsalted) butter 3.5 to 4 large Vidalia-type sweet onions, thinly sliced 1 quart low sodium beef broth 1 qt water heated w/ 3 tsps Better than Bouillon brand beef base 1 tsp chicken base (Better Than Bouillon brand) Black pepper - a few shakes Small clove garlic, sliced (for easy removal) 2 Tbsps low sodium soy sauce 1 tsp Beau Monde Large pinch of brown sugar (if desired) French bread, sliced 1" thick Emmenthaler and/or Gruyere cheese, sliced In large kettle, melt butter and saute onions until transparent. Add beef broths and chicken base, pepper, garlic, soy sauce and Beau Monde (and brown sugar if desired). Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Remove from heat and allow to stand overnight (in fridge). The next day, remove the fat from surface. Reheat and check seasonings. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly toast slices of bread. Ladle soup into oven proof bowls. Place bread on top of each bowl and top with several slices of cheese to cover opening of bowls. Place in oven and bake until cheese melts. Serves 5-6. Source: Adapted from recipe found at Gail's Recipe Swap posted by "cheezz" who added her own changes to a Hamburger Hamlet Onion Soup Fondue recipe. I've also made changes. You can add a little white wine if desired while onions are being sauteed. I added brown sugar as I prefer onion soup to be a bit sweet. This is delicious and much like French onion soups served in brasseries and bistros. I used slices of Emmenthaler along with some shredded Gruyere. Also used Wegman's sliced Pane which fit the opening of my soup bowls.
    ...See More

RECIPE: French Onion Soup

Q

Comments (4)
    No it doesn't have to be unsalted butter, just don't add any salt while cooking or at the table. You can use sodium reduced chicken or veggie broth but the taste will be less rich. I have made this as a vegetarian dish many times, it's just a bit different but still yummy!
    ...See More

French onion soup recipe wanted

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks for the help! Looks like a trip to the wine cellar this week and I will be set. I will let y'all know how I did. I believe I'll try Nita's first with white wine Of course I will have to try the wine first! LOL
    ...See More

Tonight's Dinner Party, My French Onion Soup . . . and Swim Goggles!

Q

Comments (26)
    LynnNM, I made onion soup with your recipe and served it at a dinner party last night. It got rave reviews all around. I didn't need swim goggles. My 44 year old Oster Regency mixer/blender/food processor/meat grinder quickly cut the onions into perfect thin slices. Not a tear was shed. Thanks for the recipe. In return here is another soup recipe that I make that everyone loves Ina Garten’s Winter Minestrone Soup Ingredients: Good olive oil 4 ounces pancetta, ½-inch-diced 1½ cups chopped yellow onions 2 cups (½-inch) diced carrots (3 carrots) 2 cups (½-inch) diced celery (3 stalks) 2½ cups (½-inch) diced peeled butternut squash 1½ tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves) 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves 26 ounces canned or boxed chopped tomatoes, such as Pomi 6 to 8 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade 1 bay leaf Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed 2 cups cooked small pasta, such as tubetti 8 to 10 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves 1/2 cup good dry white wine 2 tablespoons store-bought pesto Garlic Bruschetta (see recipe) Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven. Add the pancetta and cook over medium-low heat for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add the onions, carrots, celery, squash, garlic, and thyme and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the tomatoes, 6 cups of the chicken stock, the bay leaf, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Discard the bay leaf. Add the beans and cooked pasta and heat through. The soup should be quite thick but if it’s too thick, add more chicken stock. Just before serving, reheat the soup, add the spinach, and toss with 2 big spoons (like tossing a salad). Cook just until the leaves are wilted. Stir in the white wine and pesto. Depending on the saltiness of the chicken stock, add another teaspoon or two of salt to taste. Serve large shallow bowls of soup with a bruschetta on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, drizzle with olive oil, and serve hot. Garlic Bruschetta 1 baguette Good olive oil 1 garlic clove, cut in half lengthwise Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Slice the baguette at a 45-degree angle in 1/2-inch-thick slices. Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil and bake for 6 minutes, until lightly toasted. Take the slices out of the oven and rub the surface of each one with the cut clove of garlic. Here it is as a work in progress from when I made it in November This picture is from Ina Garten's website
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    16 years ago

I think we have been reading the same thread, my head is into French Onion soup also. Blame Peppi, I think. Anyway, I'm going to make beef stock tomorrow....

To go with the soup... What about some type of chicken/rice casserole. Or Big baked potatoes with lots of different toppings to go with and a salad. Chicken Divan?
    Fish goes well also but usually is a last minute type of thing... Seafood Quiche?? (That's what I'm thinking for us).

Nancy

• lindac
    16 years ago

A salad...but not a leafy salad...maybe a chopped salad with a very small pasta, or how about that bok choy salad with the Ramen noodles ( minus the flavor packet) and almonds and soy sauce...onion I think?
    I can look up the recipe if you like.
    Or how about this: Don't remember who posted it...
    Crunchy Pea Salad
    Ingredients, most to least:
    Peas ...frozen un cooked
    Celery, small dice
    Chopped water chestnuts
    Mayonnaise
    Sour Cream
    Chopped green onion
    Lightly toasted pine nuts
    Salt, pepper
    I've only ever had the pea/cheddar kind of pea salad, this one blows it away :)

Or a very veggie heavy quiche...broccoli comes to mind...but spinach would be good too...or spinach and shrimp...could be all ready cooked when they come and just warm and serve a small wedge to each.
    And I always like a hard crunchy roll with onion soup.
    I need to do that....going to be more than frigid this weekend!
    Linda C

• shaun
    16 years ago

OH! Oh! Make a Quiche!! I love quiche and French Onion Soup!

• DYH
    16 years ago

Je conviens. Vous devez servir la quiche! :-)

Cameron

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

How about some sort of bread/baguette or crackers with a cheese a fuit tray? Or a ceaser salad.Or some chicken on skewers, or chicken meatballs (a couple of them on shishkabob skewers, layed across the bowls).Then maybe something appley for dessert.

Shelley

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

My first thought was Ginger's French Dip - but you don't want sandwiches...my second thought was nicely grilled steaks but that doesn't keep...so I say quiche as well! Sounds perfect.

• compumom
    16 years ago

My input is nothing too salty or too cheesy. There's enough in the soup. I like quiche too, but suggest a veggie quiche or the like. I love the idea of fruit for dessert. I'm a big soup lover and think after a long cold drive, soup sounds perfect!

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Paella or cassoulet. I know cassoulet is traditionally made with a lot of pork, but there are alternatives. I like paella better, but I am a rice fan.

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

What about a waldorf salad? Fruity, tasty , filling.

Shelley

• jimtex
    16 years ago

As a Texas boy, if I was going to fly somewhere in Canada, in the winter, then drive 3 hours to my destination, I would be so happy with a bowl of soup I wouldn't even think about anything on the side.

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas, quiche never occurred to me! Just a small slice for each person with bit of salad on the side, maybe mixed baby greens with pears and walnuts.

Now here is the big confession......hope I don't get kicked off the forum.....I have never made a quiche. So need you to help me out with recipes. I agree with Ellen a veggie quiche would probably be best.

Thanks a million!

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

ROFLMHO...really??

BRB...I just chocked on my coffee :))

Nancy

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Sharon, here's a couple. Hope you know I was joking...

FRESH CORN QUICHE

other vegetables work well also (cut up small)

3 large eggs
    1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/3 cups half and half
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 2 ears) or frozen, thawed
    1 deep-dish frozen pie crust, thawed

Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine first 5 ingredients in processor; blend until onion is finely chopped. Add half and half and butter; process just until blended. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in corn. Pour into crust. Bake until filling is slightly puffed and top is golden, about 50 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool slightly. Serve warm. .................................

Crab Quiche INGREDIENTS: pastry for a 1\-crust pie 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions 2 tablespoons butter 1 1/4 cups diced crab meat, freshly cooked or canned 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill 4 large eggs, slightly beaten 2 tablespoons dry white wine 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, scalded PREPARATION: Line a 9\-inch pie plate with the pastry dough. Flute edge and prick bottom in several places with tines of a fork. Line crust with foil and fill with beans, rice, or other pie weight. Bake in a 400° preheated oven for about 8 minutes. Remove foil and weight and bake 2 to 3 minutes longer. Remove from oven; reduce oven temperature to 375°. In a skillet over medium heat, sauté onion in the butter until tender; transfer to the pie shell. Top onions with crab and dill. Combine eggs, wine, salt, pepper, and cream; pour over crab mixture in shell. Bake crab quiche at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until set I leave out the dill 'cause it's not a favorite of mine... Nancy
  • pkramer60
    16 years ago

Sharon, (and Nancy) blame me for the soup, thats ok. But servie ti with a quiche please. Both can be made ahead and finished as they come in the door.

Grab some of the ready made crust for this or go with a spinach crust. Just pat frozen well drained chopped spinach into the bottom a a pie pan and fill. I use no recipe for quiche, but here goes:

6 large eggs, beaten into submission
    a good splash of cream or half & half
    chopped onion
    bacon bits/ham/sausage(could be turkey, not pork)
    grated swiss/emmetaler/parmesan/asiago
    chopped spinach if not in crust
    zuccini
    any veggie you have on hand
    a good grind of pepper, either white or black.
    garlic

I would sautee or micro cook the veggies to soften them a bit. If you have some carmelized onions, use those.

Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

Since the soup has a good bit of cheese, you may want ot keep that light in the quiche.

I think I will try the crab quiche next, that sounds like heaven to me.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

My favorite isn't really quiche, but it is. It's Sol's Tomato Pie, which is actually just a quiche with that mustard layer on the bottom crust.

{{gwi:1480093}}

TOMATO TART

Crust This makes two 9-inch tart shells.
    2 1/2 cups AP flour
    3 tablespoons semolina flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    12 tablespoons [1 1/2 sticks] cold, unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons cold solid shortening
    Ice water

Preheat oven to 400°F. Put the flours and salt in food processor. Pulse a couple of times, just enough to integrate the ingredients. Add the butter and shortening all at once and pulse until the mixture looks like moist crumbs and no chunks of butter or shortening remain. Sprinkle ice water over the surface of the dough. Repeat with 3 more tablespoonsful. Pulse to just bring the dough together. The dough should be past crumbly, but holding together. Cut the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Press each half to form a disk. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling out. Then roll out one disk to 1/4" thick. Fit into your tart pan, and chill 30 minutes. Dock the bottom of the tart. Line it with parchment or foil, and weigh it down with pie weights or dried beans. Place tart shell on center rack in the oven and bake 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights from the pan. Return it to the oven and bake another 10-15 minutes or until the tart is a light-golden brown. Remove from the oven and set on wire rack to cool.

Filling

12-15 plum tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/4"-thick rounds
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard *
    1 cup coarsely grated Gruyere cheese
    1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup light cream
    1 teaspoon salt
    A few turns of freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375°F. Put the tomato slices in a colander and place in the sink. Let them sit for 15 minutes to drain off any excess liquid. Spread the mustard evenly over the tart shell. Sprinkle the cheese over the mustard and sprinkle the Herbes de Provence over the gruyere cheese. Working from the outside in, lay the drained tomato slices in overlapping, concentric circles, covering the crust completely. Whisk the eggs in a bowl, whisk in the cream, salt and pepper. Pour this custard evenly over the tomatoes until it comes to about 1/4 inch from the top edge of the crust. Bake for 1 hour, to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the custard is set.

And now I want French Onion Soup too.....

Annie

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

"Just pat frozen well drained chopped spinach into the bottom a a pie pan and fill." Really? This makes a good base that won't leak or fall apart? The Bruschetta also sounds like a good idea.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

A big classic Nicoise salad would be good with the soup and would have no problem traveling.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I have never found quiche to keep well nor is it something that can be made ahead and be at it's best.
    Annie, do you still have a picture of your asparagus tart? That was beautiful looking.

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

This is similar to quiche - It is a Favorite-keeps well & reheats in mircowave easily. It is very easy and looks pretty. I serve this with soup for casual - or a holiday ham dinner.

Spinach Pie
    1 10 oz frozen chopped spinach - cook and drain very well - set aside
    Combine:
    1 3 oz cream cheese
    1 cup shredder cheese
    5 eggs slightly beaten
    2 T parsley flakes
    1/4 onion small dices
    1/2 tsp salt

9" unbaked pie shell (I use deep dish)

Add spinach to combined ingreidents.
    Pour into pie shell
    Put thinly sliced tomatoes on top.
    Sprinkle w/ grated parmesan (1/4 c)

Bake 400 for 35 mins.

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

oops! should read - 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    so much for my proofreading skills

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Just a big bowl of soup and crusty bread and a glass of wine would do it for me! Add plenty of time to visit and it's a perfect evening!! I'm easy (don't tell Jessy).

Deanna

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Stacked tomato pizza would be wonderful too.

Shelley

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Hey Sharon, this sounds really really good -

Ina Garten's Roasted Vegetable Torte
    Serves 6
    "Paula Hodges invented this recipe at Barefoot Contessa, and it was an immediate hit. Make it ahead of time and then cut it into wedges, like a cake. The layers of roasted vegetables look so beautiful."
    2 zucchini, cut into ¼ inch slices
    1 red onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    Good olive oil
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    2 red bell peppers, halved, cored, and seeded
    2 yellow bell peppers, halved, cored, and seeded
    1 eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/4 -inch slices (1 ½ pounds)
    ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
    Cook the zucchini, onions, garlic, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat for 10 minutes until the zucchini is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Brush the red and yellow peppers and eggplant with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast on a baking sheet for 30 to 40 minutes, until soft but not browned.
    In a 6-inch round cake pan, place each vegetable in a single, overlapping layer, sprinkling Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste between each of the layers of vegetables. Begin with half of the eggplant, then layer half of the zucchini and onions, then all of the red peppers, then all of the yellow peppers, then the rest of the zucchini and onions, and finally the rest of the eggplant. Cover the top of the vegetables with a 6-inch round of parchment paper or waxed paper. Place a 6-inch flat disk (another cake pan or the bottom of a false-bottom tart pan) on top and weight it with a heavy jar. Place on a plate or baking sheet (it will leak) and chill completely. Drain the liquids, place on a platter, and serve at room temperature.

Notes that I took from Chowhound: Note that the recipe is for a 6" cake pan. I make it in either an 8" or 9" cake pan. Unfortunately, my Barefoot Contessa cookbook, with my notes for increasing amounts, is about 80 miles away right now. But, if memory serves, I use 2 eggplants, instead of the 1 specified. 3 zucchinis instead of 2. I honestly don't remember if I roast another pepper or two or not. It wouldn't hurt to have an extra on hand. It's important to use both yellow and red, because that's a big part of the presentation. As you can tell, it's just basic roasted vegetables (and sauteed, in the case of the zucchini and red onion). But beautifully presented. Also, I've never had enough fridge room to weight these with a jar when I've made them. I just throw on a couple of wrenches.

this looks great! can i make it a day in advance?

Absolutely. In fact, you have to. I make it the afternoon or evening before so it gets a good, long, overnight weighting. That's what lets all the veggies glom together (there's a good chef's term for you : ) ) so you have this nice torte that you can slice.

• lindac
    16 years ago

It's winter!! In Canada...don't even try anything like tomato tart or fresh corn quiche.

Here's what I do for a quiche...the recipe Peppi posted is what I call a fritatta...no milk or cream.
    Make a pie shell...or buy one.
    For hurry up, I would use frozen broccoli...steam it lightly and lay it out on a towel to get good and dry.
    Cut up about 4 or 5 green onions.
    Into the pie shell put a layer of the broccoli, a sprinkle of onion and a layer of grated cheese....about 1/2 to 2/3 a cup...I like gruyere...or a mix of swiss and chedder....or swiss and parmesan...
    Repeat...
    Then mix up your egg milk or 1/2 and 1/2....mix 1 egg for every half cup of milk or cream ...I wish I could tall you how much to mix up...but it varies by the size of your pie plate. start by mixing up 1 1/2 cups milk and 3 eggs....and add 3/4 tsp wshire....pour over the veggies and if it doesn't cover them, mix up another 1/2 cup milk and 1 egg and 1/4 tsp wshire...and add that...
    Bake at 350 for about 1 and 1/4 hours...until set.
    It reheats well....or also keeps hot packed in a "cooler"...or you can have all set to go....and when the guests arrive pour on the egg mix and pop it into the oven.
    But....are your guests Jewish? And is the kosher milk and meat a thing?...If so...this cheesy milky quiche won't work with beef and chicken broth.
    Linda C

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, such great recipes and ideas to be used another time...... : (

Just got off the phone with our comapny. Have known this lady for years, she is so much fun and a lovely guest, however she did mention that she started Weight Watchers last week and is doing really well...scratch my menu! LOL

So the new menu is Stracciatella Soup, Lemon Chicken, steamed broccoli and roasted rosemary potatoes Friday night.

Saturday night will be SharonCB's Drunken Salmon, roasted beets with garlic and a rice pilaf. Salads both nights.....Susan is in charge of that!

Cold Shrimp and shrimp sauce in the hot tub maybe before dinner, maybe after.

Breakfasts will be a selection of fruits, poached eggs and whole wheat toast one day, next day poached omelette's, back bacon and toast.

Lunch Weight Watchers Minestrone Soup, Reubens for the guys.

Appetizers are still presenting me with a challenge but maybe I'll just do what I normally do and Susan can show us her will power! LOL

You guys are the best......but looks like I will remain a quiche virgin for now.

and yes Nancy I knew you were joking and you made me smile!

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

WOW, some greating sounding stuff on this thread. I love quiche with soup! That would be a terrific meal for me after traveling.

• cindy_5ny
    16 years ago

Oh Sharon, sorry to hear that your menu plan had to be changed, but it sounds like you have things under control :) Both the soup and quiche menu and your new menu sound great! Enjoy your company!

Cindy

• lindac
    16 years ago

Good for Susan!!...And good for you for not tempting her in her first week on the program!
    Linda C

• pat_t
    16 years ago

How funny - I was going to suggest a classic Quiche Lorraine.

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Sharon your new menu sounds wonderful too..but don't ever let a quiche intimidate you..they are easier than prepping a whole breakfast.

Kind of like pizza..put what you want!

{{gwi:1480094}}
    This one ..a reg.pie crust in a 6 inch springform..

You can use a pie plate..You can use Filo dough.. anything!

I usually prick the bottom ..add a light coating of Dijon.. Mix 3 eggs w/ light cream and lots of great cheese..to this I incorporate.. sautéd bacon,onions,mushrooms and broccoli.. ..seasonings.. herbs..and bake at ap 400 -425 for 40 mins..till the middle doesn't jiggle..Great w/ ham etc..

• stacy3
    16 years ago

wow Sharon - what a great hostess you are! Able to change directions on a dime!

Your new menu sounds fabulous.

mo-NIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That thing is GORGEOUS! I can't wait to try a quiche in a springform.

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Monique that is beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration. Promise I'll make one soon!

• lisacdm
    16 years ago

I have great results with this tart (from "Once Upon a Tart") - I cheat and use the pre-made Pilsbury pie dough.

Provencal Tart with Gruyere Herbs de Provence

In preparation for a picnic, make this tart the day before. After the completed tart cools on the counter, cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to pack your basket. The tart crust recipe yields two 9-inch crusts. I par-bake (see below) the extra shell, let it cool, pop it in a heavy-duty plastic bag and freeze it. The next time you go to make a tart, your pulse will jump with excitement when you realize you have a homemade shell ready to be filled - on the next sunny day your second tart will come together in a flash.

For the Tart:

12-15 plum tomatoes (2 1/2 pounds), cored and cut into 1/4- inch-thick rounds

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1 par-baked 9-inch Crunchy Savory Tart Crust

1 cup coarsely grated Gruyere cheese

1 teaspoon herbes de Provence

2 large eggs

1/4 cup light cream

1 teaspoon salt

A few turns of freshly ground black pepper

For the Crust:

2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons semolina flour

1 teaspoon salt

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes

3 tablespoons cold solid vegetable shortening

A glass of ice water

9" tart pan with removable bottom.

To Prepare the Crust:

1. Position oven racks so that one is in the center and preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Put the flours and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and pulse a couple of times just to integrate the flours and salt.

3. Add the butter and shortening all at once and pulse quite a few times, until the mixture forms little balls, like moist crumbs, and no chunks of butter or shortening remain. You have to pulse, not run, the food processor. The worst thing that can happen at this stage of the crust-making game is for the flours and fats to come together into a paste.

4. Remove the blade from the food processor and dump the dough crumbs into a big bowl. Fill a tablespoon with ice water and sprinkle over the surface of the dough. Repeat with 3 more tablespoons.

5. Use your hands or a wooden spoon to bring the dough together into a ball, adding more water if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time. The dough should be just past crumbly, but holding together. You don't want it to be so wet that it sticks together or turns white in color.

6. Cut the dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Press each half with the palm of your hand to form a disk. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling out.

7. Roll out 1 disk of dough to 1/4 inch thick. Fit it into your tart pan and chill for 30 minutes. Then use the tines of a fork to prick holes over the bottom of the tart. Line the dough with parchment paper or aluminum foil, and weigh down with pie weights or dried beans.

8. Place the tart shell on the center rack in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and weights from the pan. Return it to the oven, and bake until the crust is golden brown and toasted all over, 5-10 more minutes for a par-baked tart shell. For a fully baked tart shell, bake for another 15 minutes at 400 degrees or until it's golden brown all over.

9. Remove the tart shell from the oven and set it on a wire rack to cool. Can be prepared a day in advance. Cover and keep at room temperature.

To prepare the tart:

1. Position your oven racks so that one is in the center, and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Put the tomato slices in a colander, and place it in the sink. Let the tomatoes sit for 15 minutes to drain off any excess liquid.

3. Spread the mustard evenly over the tart shell with a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon. Sprinkle the cheese over the mustard, and sprinkle the herbes de Provence over the cheese.

4. Working from the outside in, lay the drained tomato slices in overlapping concentric circles, making sure the crust is covered entirely.

5. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl, or a large measuring cup with a spout, to break up the egg yolks. Whisk in the cream, salt, and pepper. This is your custard. Pour the custard evenly over the tomatoes until it comes to about 1/4 inch from the top edge of the crust. (If you have extra, don't worry about it; if you don't have enough, pour a little cream on top.)

6. Place the tart on the center rack in the oven, and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the custard is set. Set custard won't jiggle when you shake the pan and will be firm when you touch it. (The custard will also be hot, so touch it lightly.) The tomatoes in this tart may give off a lot of liquid; don't confuse this with uncooked eggs and accidentally overcook your tart. The liquid will evaporate as the tart cools.

7. Remove the tart from the oven and set it on a wire rack. Allow the tart to cool slightly.

8. To remove the tart from the pan, rest it on a big can. Make sure the tart is steady and balanced. Slide the outside ring of the pan down off the tart. Then place the tart on your work surface, and slide it off the bottom of the pan and onto a rim- less serving dish or a cutting board. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes one 9-inch tart.