SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Yaz, Yasmin, or Ocella

User
14 years ago

Just the other week I saw the medical malpractice commercial on TV and was thankful I never switched over to Yaz a few years ago. My friend just emailed me this message that she received from her friend. I know who the girl is but don't know her. I'm glad she went to the hospital when she did. Just wanted to pass along her story.

"Hi Ladies!

I am writing to let all of you know about a situation that just happened to me within the last month so that you are aware for yourself and others you may know.

On January 25th I woke up with a severe headache and vomiting. I never had a headache like that before so *Mark* took me to the Emergency Room at *Hospital*. When morphine did not work for me, the ER doctor ordered a catscan of my head and found a blood clot in the back of my brain. I was admitted that day to the hospital. The nurses noticed that my breathing was dropping when I was sleeping so on Wednesday, January 27th I had a cat scan of my chest and they detected a blood clot in my lung. That night I had a vena cava filter inserted into my jugular vein as a precaution against future blood clots. I am telling you this because the finding is that this was all related to my birth control. I was on Yasmin and I have been on the generic of Yasmin (which is Ocella) for the past year. I did not think I was at risk for blood clots because I don't have any genetic disorders, I'm not over 35 and I don't smoke. I was in the hospital for a week and then was sent home to recover. I am back to work part-time in the office and working the rest of the time from home. I plan to go back to work full-time in the office starting March 1st.

My prognosis is good from what they are telling me, but I was lucky I got to the hospital when I did. I was diagnosed with a Pulmonary Embolism and a Cerebral Venus Sinus Thrombosis. I am on blood thinner now ( for how long I don't know). And of course going to many doctor appointments!!!

So if you are taking Yaz, Yasmin, or Ocella- PLEASE go off of it. Or if you know anyone who is taking any of these pills tell them to look at other options. It is not worth it to go through what I am going through! Spread the word!"

Comments (7)

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

I noticed the Yaz commercials had changed to include some information about it not being as safe or something...can't recall. I never paid much attention as I have no need for BC anymore. But my childbearing age DD's are always searching for good, reliable BC. My eldest considered Yaz but her gyno talked her out of it. She's looking into the NuvaRing now.

I will forward this info to my other DD...she just changed her BC too, not sure to what tho. All I know is that this newlywed has said not to expect grandchildren from her for at least 10 years.

• nicoletouk
    14 years ago

DH and I know of three young women (under 35) who have died from strokes attributed to birth control pills. So sad and so scary.

Have you had any children yet? If so, the IUD is a great option. I have one - not Mirena, another one whose name I can't recall. It is hormone free. Stay away from those hormones!

So glad you are doing better. You really are a very lucky lady!

Nicole

• sweeby
    14 years ago

BC pills gave me some very scary mini-strokes years ago, so use those hormones with caution.

I hear there are some new IUDs with better track records for women who haven't had kids. If that's the case, that would be wonderful!

• Shannon01
    14 years ago

I have always talked to my doc about being on the pills and the risk factors. I have always been on low dosages.

Now that I have breast cancer it has made my dh and I really think about things. When we are given the pills they just give us whatever. There is no discussion about our own hormones and how which pill will do what. We are serioulsy wondering if I express more estrogen than others and that being on pills with more estrogen in them than others may have led to my cancer. There is not lab work done before being given pills. Why?? My dh is a microbiologist also and realy has been looking into the hormone factors lately with me. My treatment will remove the cancer and attack any lingering bad cells. But what is to prevent them from growing again. Shouldn't we be looking at what makes the cells grow to begin with?? I was told that chemo will shut down my ovaries and put me into menopause but my ovaries could actually come back so I might have to go back on the pill. But why would we do that if the hormones are causing my cancer?? The research is not directed at trying to understand where these bad cells are coming from like it should be. DH has brought up these questions to my onc and others and they all say he brings up some valid concerns.

Anyhoo, I discussed with my 12yr dd about how maybe before she considers any form of birth control she should have her hormones looked at first. This is a really serious thing to consider along with the risk factors.

DH's phrase to patients is that nothing in medicine is free. Everything has its plus and minus. We choose the birth control hoping that we are not one of those who has issues. Sometimes all we can do is question and seek medical advice immediatly. Any of the meds I receive we will printout the info on. If I end up in the ER for any reason the staff needs to know what I am on because it would be so easy to miss something if they were not fully aware.

Glad to know this gal acted quickly and was able to determine what cause was. Scary though.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shannon - Very good points!

I was on the pill for 8 years. I was never talked to about the different types and didn't think to ask or worry about it then because I was young. My gyn and I got to talking about birth control and she mentioned switching to a low dose like Yaz (it was at that moment I was told/realized mine was higher). She wasn't concerned because I wasn't having problem taking them but if I wanted to switch she thought that would be fine too. I never switched.

Shortly after (2 years ago) I made the decision to stop taking them and don't plan on ever going back.

• nicoletouk
    14 years ago

Shannon, honey, don't beat yourself up too bad about taking the pill. I am also a BC patient, both ER+ and PR+, and never took the pill a day in my life. I know a macro - vegan who exercised religiously for 20+ years who was diagnosed with stage 3 BC. We all know lots of people who lived very clean lives that get cancer.

My very unscientific opinion is that it is the stress in our lives - which weakens our immune system - and the estrogen in our food and the environment is the problem. Estrogen is everywhere, even in plastics! The rise in ER+ prostate cancer in men seems to correlate with the rise in ER+ breast cancer in women, and men don't take BC pills! (ER+ = estrogen positive)

If your ovaries start working again I can't imagine they would put you on the pill. Did your doc tell you this?

I totally agree that women should have blood work done and their hormones analyzed before going on the pill. You have the right idea!

Nicole

• tinam61
    14 years ago

How scary! I have been on the pill for quite some time as I have PCOS and need the hormones to control the cysts. I am still at the age where bc is needed. My gyn and I did talk about the pill, and I am on the kind that closely mimics your body's cycle. Tri-phasal or tri-cycle I believe is what they are called.

Another important thing is you are on the pill is that your bp should be monitored (especially as you age). I have no risk factors but the older I get, the more closely my doctor seems to be watching.

tina