SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Electrical outlets /Christmas lights

mrspete
11 years ago

I was driving home tonight around 5:00-5:30, and I saw a house with much the same shape as the one we're planning: Country house or Cape Cod with dormers on a steep roof. The house was lit up with Christmas lights, and they had a lighted wreath on each of the three dormers.

I LOVED IT, and it made me think, "I've gotta put electrical outlets by those dormers. Here's the thing: Our dormers will face the front of the house, but they'll be in an attic. So, here are my questions:

- To be able to hang a roof or place a candle in a dormer window, can I have outlets in an attic? I have no outlets in my current attic, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

- Or should I have outlets outside, essentially on the roof? This sounds like more trouble, but we'd have to open up the windows to hang a wreath anyway.

And I already know what y'all're gonna say: Install a switch downstairs so we can turn the lights on /off without going upstairs into the attic. Good advice!

And another question: Who else considers the placement of Christmas lights when planning the house or remodel? I do! I have to know that my Christmas tree'll have a good spot, and I will absolutely be planting at least one live Christmas tree outside.

Comments (10)