SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgwlisa

selling gold

kgwlisa
13 years ago

I know this has come up before and there were some very knowledgeable people around (golddust maybe? hm have anything to do with her name? If that was obvious to everyone but me... d'oh!) Anyway...

I have a small pile of gold jewelry that my dad has given me over the years for christmas before he got it that I don't wear yellow gold, nor do I wear heavy gold chains and large charms and whatever else he was buying me. With gold prices so high right now I decided that rather than just hold on to this stuff that I'll never wear (and that my dad forgot he gave me 10 years ago anyway) I should maybe sell it and use the money to get something pretty for myself that I WILL wear.

I went into a local jeweler and as far as I can tell they pay $18/dwt for 14k, which is less than 50% of the spot price for gold right now. I have found a few online places that are more like $37-38/dwt for 14k, which of course sounds better to me but, how reputable are they?

I am also checking out a local jeweler that advertises that they do not scrap their gold, they resell decent pieces (and since these pieces are all really virtually new) and have the best prices... I don't know if I'd get more than the 90-95% of scrap prices I am seeing online for craftsmanship but it is worth a look I suppose.

Has anyone ever used any online gold buying services or does anyone have any other suggestions for getting the most for my gold?

If anyone cares, this is the ring I am having made... this example is in sterling silver with a pink sapphire, but I am having one of my natural alexandrite earring studs re-set into a white gold version of this ring. It took me forever and a ton of research to track down a semi-matched set for earrings and the stones (one in particular, they are a little different because they are hand cut in india... one is slightly larger than the other and the cut on the larger one is also superior to the cut on the smaller one) but I love watching the stones so much (the color change is phenomenal that having them as earrings is really unsatisfying. I still need to figure out what to re-set the other one into but for right now I will be thrilled with this pretty little ring. I NEVER buy "new" jewelery, everything I own is antique, but I think the craftsmanship and artistry from this jeweler is exquisite.

Here is a link that might be useful: rose garden ring

Comments (4)