SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_w_gw

Let's eat fish!

Gina_W
16 years ago

I want to start eating more fish and lighter meals. I got into a convenient rut of buying lots of meats to freeze so I could come home and POOP and POOF out a meal. But that regimen doesn't work for fish. I tried the frozen fish packages from Costco and they were handy, but not inspiring, and well, not fresh!

So I'm going to start stopping by the local Sprouts market on the way home more often for fresh fish.

I like to bake fish in foil or paper with seasonings, aromatics and veggies for an easy main dish. If I get a really nice, fresh piece I like to simply saute it in butter, wine and aromatics. I like seafood in pasta and soups too.

Okay everyone. Post your bestest and most favorite fish and seafood recipes and ways to cook it here. Unique and ethnic recipes especially welcomed!

Comments (66)

• bunnyman
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nothing like having a happy cat to dine with you.

My sister got a recipe from some cooking show that works pretty good. Upshot is to spread a little dijion mustard on a chunk of salmon and wrap it in parchment paper. Then bake or nuke it until done. Marci likes it on top of spagetti with veggies. I prefer rice but both are good.

Tastes good but what makes it a real winner is it is so easy and fast. The paper even makes a dish to eat from if you want almost no clean up. Put it on a plate and tell everyone you slaved for hours to make it.

Can't forget one of my all time favorite fish dinners is the english style fried fish soaked with malt vinegar. It has to be good vinegar or all is ruined. Basalmic or white vinegar makes a fair substitute.

: )
    lyra

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

We have always eaten a lot of fish. I'm fortunate to live near a great seafood market who sells all their fish whole (gutted). You can have them filleted and take the remains home for stock or leave them there. Prices are lower per pound to account for that method. You can see exactly what you're buying and pick the one with the brightest eyes.

My favorite way to cook thin fillets is by baking, especially thin fillets. I wet with milk, bread the tops only, dot with butter, paprika and lemon juice and bake at 375.

Or I'll drizzle them with olive oil, fresh orange juice
    ans Old Bay seasoning and bake.

Given that we can buy whole fish, I often cook them this way:

CITRUS-BAKED FISH

1 orange, unpeeled, cut into very thin slices
    1 lemon, unpeeled, cut into very thin slices
    1 lime, unpeeled, cut into very thin slices
    1 large onion, peeled and cut into very thin slices
    1 tsp. salt
    2 3 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
    1 whole fish, gutted (head can be on or off as you prefer), about 5 lbs.
    3 Tbs. butter or margarine

Mix together fruits, onions, Old Bay and salt. Place fish on a rack in a baking dish and put 2/3 of the citrus mixture in the center cavity and 1/3 on top. Dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees until fish is done. Discard stuffing before serving.

Some other seafood favorites:

FRESH FISH PICCATA serves 2

1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
    3/4 pound thin (1/4 to 3/8 inch) slices of filleted fish**
    1 small lemon, peeled and sliced, each slice cut into 8 to 12 pieces
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
    1 1/2 tsp. small capers, well rinsed and dried
    2 Tbs. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Heat the oil in a skillet, add the fillets and cook over medium-high heat only about 1 minute on each side. Remove to a heated platter

Add the lemon pieces, salt, pepper, and capers to the skillet and when hot, pour over the sauteed fish. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with Champagne Risotto.

** - This recipe works best with thin fillets. My favorites are striped bass (not the thick Chilean sea bass), rockfish, red snapper or flounder. Sole or tilapia would also be good prepared this way.

CHAMPAGNE RISOTTO serves 2

1 1/2 Tbs. sweet unsalted butter
    1 small yellow onion, minced
    3/4 cup Arborio rice
    1/4 cup champagne (can substitute dry white wine)
    1 1/2 cups hot chicken broth
    1/4 tsp. saffron threads, softened in 1/ 4 cup of the broth
    1/4 tsp. salt
    dash of freshly ground pepper
    1 Tbs. heavy cream, at room temperature
    2 Tbs. freshly grated parmesan cheese

Melt the butter in a 3 or 4 cup saucepan with a heavy bottom and gently cook the onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and, stirring, cook over medium heat about 4 minutes. Add the champagne and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the 1/ 4 cup of the broth with the saffron and the salt and pepper. Stir well and cook uncovered over low heat until all the broth has been absorbed by the rice. Add another 1/ 4 cup of broth, let the rice absorb it up; continue adding broth, 1/ 4 cup at a time, until the broth is used up. This takes about 30-35 minutes/

When the rice is done tender but slightly chewy- stir in the cream and the cheese. Serve immediately.

FISH STEW

2 Tbs. olive oil
    1 large onion, cut in half crosswise and cut lengthwise into thin slivers
    1 large unpeeled zucchini, cut crosswise into 1 1/ 2 inch pieces and then into julienne slivers
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 peeled carrot, cut crosswise into 1 1/ 2 inch pieces and then into julienne slivers
    1 large stalk celery, cut crosswise into 1 1/ 2 inch pieces and then into julienne slivers
    3 large ripe tomatoes, cut in half crosswise and cut lengthwise into thin slivers
    1/ 2 cup dry white wine
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/ 4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 pound firm white fish, cut crosswise into strips 1 inch wide
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, zucchini, garlic, carrot and celery; saute for 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.

Stir in tomatoes, wine, broth and parsley. Cover, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add fish, stirring gently. Cover and cook another 5 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste. 4 servings.

FISH WITH ORANGE AND FENNEL serves 2

1 lb. red snapper fillets *
    1 tsp. EV olive oil
    pinch of salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1 ½ Tbs. Pernod **
    1 navel orange, peeled and sliced, each slice cut into quarters
    1 large fennel bulb, rinsed and finely chopped
    1 large red onion, halved root end to stem end and very thinly sliced
    1/3 cup fresh fennel greens, rinsed and finely chopped

Slice the fish into two or four equal pieces and place in a small oiled baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with Pernod. Mix together the remaining ingredients and scatter evenly over the fillets.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or 10 minutes per inch of thickness including the vegetables. Test with fork to determine when the fish is opaque, milky white, and cooked through. Serve immediately on warmed plates.

* - redfish, striped bass, halibut, grouper, rockfish, drum, porgy or monkfish can be substituted for the snapper.
    ** - Pernod, the anise-flavored apertif, reinforces the flavor of the fennel. Use lime juice if Pernod is unavailable but the flavor will be different.

FUSILLI PROVENCALE (serves 4)

1/ 4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/ 2 pound fresh tuna fillet, skin discarded and cut into 1/ 2 inch cubes
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1/ 4 cup very finely chopped onions
    1/ 2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and cut into julienne strips
    One 16 oz. can Italian plum tomatoes, undrained but slightly squished
    One 6 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and cut into 1/ 4 inch lengthwise pieces
    1/ 2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped, or 1 tsp. dried
    3/ 4 cup Nicoise or other flavorful black olives pitted and halved
    Pinch of hot pepper flakes
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 pound fusilli pasta

Heat 2 Tbs. of the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the tuna and cook, stirring, until the cubes are lightly browned on all sides, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and reserve.

Heat the remaining oil in a 1 1/ 2 to 2 quart heavy saucepan. Add the garlic and onions and cook over low heat until they are softened but not browned, about 10-15 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and continue cooking over low heat until they start to soften, about 1 or 2 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients except the pasta one at a time, stirring. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until all the elements have come together and sauce is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Add the reserved tuna and season with salt and pepper. Keep the sauce warm on low heat while you cook the pasta. Divide the pasta into 4 warmed oversized soup bowl and top with the sauce. Note: Sometimes I also add a tablespoon of drained tiny capers.

SALMON WITH CITRUS & MINT

¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
    1 Tbs. grated lemon peel
    1 Tbs. grated orange peel
    ½ cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
    ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
    4 salmon fillets (6 or 7 oz. each)
    1 Tbs. olive oil

Mix the mint, orange and lemon peel and reserve. Mix the orange juice concentrate and the lemon juice. Heat the olive oil and place fish in the pan flesh side down; begin to baste the salmon with the juice mixture. When the fish is golden, turn over and continue to baste with the juice mixture until the salmon is completely cooked. Sprinkle the citrus-mint mixture on the fish fillets before serving. Serves 4.

ORANGE AND SAFFRON MARINADE

½ tsp. pure saffron threads
    ¼ cup white wine
    2 cloves garlic, mashed to a paste with a fork
    ¼ cup EV olive oil
    1 tsp. grated fresh orange peel
    2 Tbs. fresh orange juice

Pound the saffron with a little heated white wine to extract the flavor. Mix all the ingredients together and let sit 15 minutes before using. Marinate shrimp or lean fish 30 minutes, turning once, then grill or broil.

FUSILLI WITH SHRIMP AND ROASTED VEGETABLES 4 servings

12 plum tomatoes, cores and quartered lengthwise
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1 small head garlic
    1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
    1 lb, large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    3/4 lb. corkscrew pasta, such as fusilli or rotini
    2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried

Set rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large roasting pan, toss the tomatoes with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil and a generous grinding of pepper. Slice the top 1/ 2 inch off the garlic head and discard; pull off any loose papery skin. Wrap the garlic in tin foil and add to the roasting pan.

Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, without stirring, or until the tomatoes are wrinkled and just begin to brown. Scatter the asparagus and shrimp over the tomatoes and roast for 10 minutes more, or until the shrimp are curled and the asparagus is tender. Remove the garlic from the pan, unwrap, and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove roasting pan from oven and cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, cook pasta. While the pasta is cooking, separate the garlic cloves and squeeze out soft pulp. Mash to a paste.

Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Add the remaining 1 Tbs. of oil, mashed garlic, lemon juice, herbs and salt & pepper, tossing to evenly coat the pasta with the seasonings. Transfer the pasta to the roasting pan and toss gently to combine, making sure to scrape up any bits that have stuck to the pan.

Notes: You may want to use a smaller amount of herbs the first time you make this. I have used rosemary and basil, and oregano and thyme combinations too. A handful of quartered crimini mushrooms tossed with a little olive oil and added to the roasting pan about 5 minutes before the shrimp are a nice addition.

• Related Discussions

Do Mallard ducks eat fish?

Q

Comments (6)
    what about black crested ducks, is this a mallard exclusive or any ducks. will they eat baby fish? I have an acre lake that is quite deep full of cat, perch and bass. We put geese and 4 ducks on for foliage clean-up. Some are saying they are eating the babies. Don't know who they can tell cause the ducks swim away as soon as anyone come near. I raised them in a pen for a while and know they smack ninety miles a hour in the mud for stuff, so not sure if that's what they are seeing. We are arguing about whether they are eating the fish. Help!
    ...See More

Why won't my fish eat?

Q

Comments (9)
    Kirk..Are you talking about your new fish? IMO it is sometimes what they have been used to eating versus a new kind of food. My fish will eat anything, but prefer floating pellets because that is what I give them. They don't like to have to find them on the bottom. They will eat sinking pellets, if I drop them slowly. My daughters fish only will eat sinking pellets, because that is what they are used to. They seem to like scrounging around on the bottom for their food. Your new fish also need to adjust to a new invironment. You can give them cooked green peas minus the skin of the peas. Hope they start eating soon for you. Glenda
    ...See More

My Betta Fish Wont Eat.... AT ALL!!!

Q

Comments (7)
    First, all fish will eat they just won't eat what you are offering. They get stressed (they should not be able to view one another as in divided tank, as in the wild they would not - one would be chased from the others territory not being forced to deal in aggressive mode constantly - adrenal stress hormones affect metabolisms ie eating so on. All betta's should have plants - the plants will grow little micro organisms and you'll see them picking at these. Dried food is horrible - like us eating dried up cereal, plus it swells up once inside fish - their eye is as small as their stomach so they get constipated down the line. I once caught a little moth and went to feed it to a female betta in a gigantic sword planted globe - she was in it as she was a super jumper, lol. Before I got my hand down near the water she flew out of the water and got her "bug". In the wild they are insect eaters. So find frozen such as worms, mosquito so on and mix it up. Feed a pinch (let it thaw) (I chop it up with knife while frozen, use my finger tips to warm up and tweezer (blunt nose so not to hurt betta) and let it hang over water, she notices and that's it. One meal a day is fine, but I offer a pinch of flake plant food for digestion in later afternoon (much better then dried pellot, put one in water cup and see how huge they get and full of filler foods like wheat and crud)... I also now grow my own worms so on (found on aquabid, ebay) a small amount of work to feed my fish the proper way. Socks, your table food is probably much better (but may need vitamins to round out, they make fish vitamins) as most of the waste from our meat markets and cats/dogs killed at pounds are sold to commercial dog/cat/fish suppliers. Not all, but unless you really check the source, you never know. That's why I grow my own fish foods. Or second best is frozen, then flake. The betta when feeling secure and offered the right foods will eat. (they can go a while before starving but again pellet food is, well would you eat it, lol.
    ...See More

Fish not eating!!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Well, I don't know anything about koi, but I would assume that they are similar to gold fish in response. My fish come when they see me, or at least something like me, and if I stand where I normally stand. If I stand somewhere else around the pond, they may hide. The first year, I believe it took a few weeks before the original three fish felt confident about me. They certainly don't like odd shadows and we actually have a hawk that lives nearby and who has probably been the source of occasional loss. Yes, I think you should be concerned. Are you feeding them pellets or flaked food? I use flake and even if not nearby, I could see fish eating. I suppose non floating food might be harder to view.
    ...See More
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

Love salmon with a bit of really good mayo (make your own), some parmesean and broil it. Simple but good. This one is my absolute favorite. You can use any fish, but the crabmeat makes me pretty happy. I usually serve these in shells or individual ramekins. Also, add breadcrumbs to the tops.

Cajun Crabmeat Au Gratin, by Dennis Morazan
    8 servings

INGREDIENTS
    2 egg yolks
    12 fluid ounces heavy cream
    1/4 cup butter
    1 large yellow onion, minced
    1 stalk celery, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup shredded American cheese
    1 pound cooked crabmeat
    1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    1 bunch green onions

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking dish. In a bowl, whip together the egg yolks and heavy cream.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion and celery about 5 minutes. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and Creole seasoning. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very tender.

Mix the flour into the saucepan, and cook and stir continuously for 5 minutes. Mix in the egg yolk mixture. Stir in the 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese and American cheese until melted. Remove from heat and fold in the crabmeat. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.

Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly browned. Remove from heat and top with the sharp Cheddar cheese and green onions. Allow the cheese to melt before serving.

• woodie
    16 years ago

A couple of things from my fish file.

SPICED CASHEW AND MUSTARD SEED CRUSTED SEA BASS

WITH TOMATO (WATERMELON)* SALSA

Source: Courtesy of Razzs Restaurant \)

Servings: 4
    Prep. and Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Note: This is a fabulous recipe. The most time consuming part is mixing the spices so I make extra:
    I measured one tablespoon plus one teaspoon of each of the 13 seasonings to give me a gross amount of
    1 cup and 4 tablespoons. This allows for three more uses and extra to try in other ways. Use freshly ground spices where possible.

Ingredients:

20 ounces sea bass (any type) I used grouper, skin removed and sliced crosswise into 1 1/4-inch pieces

1/4 cup seasoning spice: equal amounts coriander, curry powder, cumin, paprika, ground thyme, ground garlic, sage, chili powder, dry mustard, dry ginger, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper

1/4 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup ground cashew nuts
    1/2 cup mustard seed
    1/2 cup olive oil for frying
    1/2 cup Japanese-style Panko bread crumbs
    2 eggs whites, beaten

Instructions:

On a plate, combine seasoning mix with flour.
    On another plate combine cashews, mustard seed, and Panko crumbs.
    Roll the sea bass pieces in flour mixture, dip into beaten egg whites, and then roll into cashew and Panko mix.
    Pan-fry the encrusted sea bass in hot olive oil until golden brown in color.

SALSA: *

2 large ripe tomatoes (a generous 2 cups), halved, squeezed gently to remove seeds, cored and diced
    1-tablespoon small diced onions
    1/2-cup small diced peppers
    1 teaspoon chopped garlic (optional)
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    2 medium limes, juiced
    Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

In mixing bowl combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
    Yield: 4 servings Note: original recipe was for watermelon salsa. 2 cups watermelon (peeled, seeded and diced)*
    http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL149/1436959/2738802/35888247.jpg

*** Recipes from Renée Adler Aschers Kitchen ***

MQMOI
    This is a wonderful sauce from Gourmet for poached salmon. I served it last holiday season for my all-appetizer dinner. I also served a dill/white wine sauce and a light soy one. This one stood out among the three sauces.
    GREEN PEPPERCORN, GINGER, AND ORANGE SAUCE

1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
    1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
    1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
    2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons drained green peppercorns
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar

DAISY'S
    Basil Mustard Sauce
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon sugar Blend all ingredients in food processor or blender till smooth. Serve with fish or vegetables.

Walnut and Basil Paste
    1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    3/4 cup walnut pieces
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons red wine or herb vinegar
    1 tablespoon olive oil Place the basil in the bowl of a food processor. With the motor running, drop in the garlic and process until basil and garlic are finely chopped, about 15 seconds. Add the nuts, cheese, vinegar and oil. Process to make a rough paste, about 20 seconds. Smear evenly onto poultry, fish or vegetables just before grilling. Makes enough for about 1kg of poultry or fish. Or some bay leaves to put in the water when poaching fish. You could make up the dried stuffing, and include the recipe:

Chervil Stuffed Trout
    60g butter
    1 small onion, chopped
    125g soft breadcrumbs
    90g mushrooms, finely chopped
    juice and rind of 1 lemon
    1 cup chopped chervil
    salt and pepper to taste
    4 small or 1 large trout, gutted and cleaned Preheat oven to 180C. Melt butter in a frypan and gently fry the onion until golden. Combine breadcrumbs, mushrooms, lemon rind and juice, chervil and salt and pepper in a bowl, add cooked onion and mix together. Spoon mixture into the fish. Put a knob of butter on top and then wrap in lightly greased aluminium foil. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, open foil and grill or barbecue for 5 minutes on each side.

Fennel and Orange Salsa
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 a fennel bulb, cored and finely diced
    grated rind and juice of 1 orange
    1 tablespoons finely chopped parsley Heat oil to smoking point, fry fennel over high heat for 3 minutes, stirring until brown. Add orange juice and heat until juice has evaporated. Add seasonings, orange rind and parsley. Cool. Serve as a dip with savoury biscuits, or as a sauce with salmon or fish.

Fish with Coriander Sauce
    750g fish fillets
    flour
    vegetable oil for frying
    1/2 cup coriander leaves
    1/2 cup parsley
    6 cloves garlic
    pinch salt
    juice of 1 lemon
    2-3 tablespoons peanut oil
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    pinch cayenne pepper Puree the coriander, parsley, garlic, salt, lemon juice and peanut oil in a blender. Stir in the paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cut the fish into 5cm pieces and arrange them in a single layer in a shallow dish. Pour the puree over and leave for several hours. Dredge the fish in the flour, heat the oil and deep-fry the fish a few pieces at a time until they are golden, about 5 minutes. Substitute more coriander for the parsley if a stronger flavour is required.

Curry Leaf and Lemon Potatoes with Fish
    3-4 potatoes, cut into chunks or thick slices
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    handful curry leaves (Murraya koenigii)
    500g fish or fish fillets
    1/2 cup olive oil
    coriander for garnish Marinate the fish in the olive oil with a few curry leaves. Place potatoes in a greased baking dish, sprinkle with lemon juice, too over the curry leaves, and pour in about 1 cup boiling water. Cover the dish with foil and roast in a very hot oven until potatoes are tender. Remove foil and roast a further 10 minutes until potatoes are beginning to brown on top. Fry fish in a tiny amount of oil in a very hot frypan, covered, turning once, until cooked. Cooking times will vary according to thickness of fish, but it must cook quickly. To serve, place fish on a bed of the potatoes and pour Mango Dressing over. Garnish with coriander.

Mango Dressing
    1-2 mango, peeled and chopped
    100ml vegetable oil
    50g chopped fresh ginger
    30ml lime juice
    1 tablespoon fish sauce, or to taste Process all ingredients together in a blender.

Lemon Dill Mustard
    2 cups Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup chopped fresh dill or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon lemon rind Mix together well. For variation use thyme, lemon balm, sage, or savory in place of dill. Use with fish or seafood. Can be stored for up to 3 months, refrigerated.

Essential Oil Marinade for Fish
    1 drop essential oil of fennel
    1 drop essential oil of lime
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup white wine
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 onion, finely chopped
    salt and pepper to taste Combine the fennel oil, lime oil and olive oil and brush over fish. Combine remaining ingredients and marinade the oiled fish for at least 3 hours.

Herbed Hollandaise Sauce
    3 egg yolks
    pinch salt
    125g butter
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 tablespoons chopped mixed herbs (chervil, dill, tarragon, chives)
    Fill a blender or food processor container with hot water and leave for a few minutes. Drain and dry. Break in the egg yolks with the salt. Heat the butter until almost boiling, then add lemon juice. Turn on the blender and pour in the butter slowly through the lid. Stop the machine as soon as the mixture is amalgamated. Spoon into a bowl, stir in the herbs and serve immediately. This sauce goes well with poached fish, shellfish, eggs, asparagus, broccoli or artichokes. The sauce may be kept warm for a short time by standing the bowl over hot water, but do not attempt to reheat it.

Watercress, Lemon Balm, Parsley and Chive Sauce
    1 cup loosely packed watercress leaves
    1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
    1/2 cup loosely packed fresh lemon balm
    1/2 cup minced fresh chives
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2-3 drops of hot pepper sauce Put watercress, parsley, lemon balm and chives into a food processor, and process until fine. Then add mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce, and process until well blended. Serve cold, poached chicken, fish or seafood, or spread over raw fish or chicken before baking. Marinades for fish:
    Combine 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 finely sliced chilli, 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander. Combine 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1/2 bunch chopped fresh coriander, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and the juice of 1 lime. Combine 1 clove crushed garlic, 1 cup white wine, 3 bay leaves, few sprigs rosemary, few sprigs parsley.

Herbs that go well with fish:
    Anise, Basil, Bay, Borage ,Caraway, Chervil, Chives, Coriander, Dill ,Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Horseradish, Hyssop, Lemon Balm, Lemon Thyme, Calendula, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme. For oily fish: Chives, Dill, Fennel, Lemon Thyme, Rosemary, Savory, Thyme. For Salmon and Trout: Basil, Chervil, Chives, Dill, Fennel, Lemon Balm, Marjoram, Sorrel, Parsley, Rosemary, Tarragon, Thyme.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I'm not a salmon lover but even I enjoy it made this way.

MAPLE-SOY GLAZED SALMON with GINGERED BOK CHOY

serves 4 time: 25 minutes

½ C maple syrup
    ¼ C soy sauce
    1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
    1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp veg. oil
    1 large head bok choy (about 2 lbs) root end removed, cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces
    4 center-cut salmon fillets (each about 6 ounces and 1¼ inches thick) remove pin bones and pat dry
    2 tsp sesame seeds

Adjust one oven rack to the lowest position and a second rack to the upper middle position. Heat oven to 500°

Bring the maple syrup and soy sauce to a simmer in a small saucepan over med-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until syrupy and reduced to ½ cup, 8-9 min.

Meanwhile, combine the grated ginger and 1 tbsp oil in a large bowl. Add the bok choy, ¼ tsp salt, and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Spread the bok choy on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Grease a second rimmed baking sheet with the remaining 1 tsp oil and position the salmon fillets, skin side down, on the sheet, with at least 1 inch between them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Place the bok choy on the lower oven rack and the salmon on the upper oven rack. Cook for 5 min, then pull the salmon from the oven and spread a thick layer of the maple glaze over each fillet, top and sides. Use a pastry brush. Return to the oven. Continue to cook until the bok choy leaves are wilted, stems tender and the salmon is firm to the touch, about 3 min. longer.

Transfer bok choy to a platter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Brush the fillets with another layer of glaze and transfer to individual plates. Serve immediately, with any remaining glaze.

Notes, I almost always double the glaze as some like the extra at the table. Since the glaze also flavors the bok choy so nice, I have served the salmon on the same platter as the bok choy.

If you use the glaze in other ways, remember to wait and add it late in the cooking so it doesn't burn.

Nancy

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Easiest tilapia in the world (or any fish)

Dredge slighly damp fillets in black sesame seeds

Pan saute

Done

• spacific
    16 years ago

Gina,
    Just as an aside, so that you can still have your POOP/POOF backup for seafood, I keep Trader Joe's frozen tuna steaks on hand. Quick thaw. Saute in a bit of EVOO with onions and garlic and a bit of whatever favorite hot sauce. Put on fresh corn tortillas with shredded cabbage, salsa and/or TJ's guacamole... quick, easy and healthy fish tacos.

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the great-looking and drool-worthy recipes everyone! I'm copying all these to my recipes folder, and hope to start trying them very soon.

Ann, that's a great idea to prepare frozen fish as tacos - duh, why doesn't my mind work harder? LOL.

I feel healthier already!

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Sauteed Tilapia with Lemon-Peppercorn Pan Sauce

3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons drained brine packed green peppercorns, lightly crushed
    1 teaspoon butter
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    2 (6-ounce) tilapia or sole fillets
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons butter
    Lemon wedges (optional)

Combine first 3 ingredients.

Melt 1 teaspoon of butter with oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. While butter melts, sprinkle fish filIets with salt and black pepper. Place the flour in a shallow dish. Dredge fillets in flour; shake off excess flour.

Increase heat to medium-high; heat 2 minutes or until butter turns golden brown. Add fillets to pan; saute 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove fillets from pan. Add broth mixture to pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Stir in two teaspoons of butter with a whisk. Serve sauce over fillets. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

We make this alot - it's so quick and easy - DH even makes it and he doesn't cook much. And even people who say they don't like salmon like it. There are only two of us at home so we usually cut the recipe in half.

SONOMA SALMON

Heat oven to 500 degrees

Prepare sauce see below allow sauce to reduce (thicken) while cooking salmon

In an oven safe sauté pan, sear salmon 1-2 minutes on both sides. If salmon has skin, start with skin side up.

Transfer pan to oven and cook 5-8 minutes to desired doneness (may take longer depending on thickness of the salmon filet)

Sonoma Salmon Sauce (4 servings)

1/4 cup Ponzu (or low sodium soy sauce)
    1/8 1/4 cup lime juice (depending on whether you like a sweeter or more tart sauce)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter
    2 cloves garlic crushed and diced
    dash of cayenne pepper if you like it a little spicy

Melt butter and sauté garlic for a minute.
    Add brown sugar and stir to dissolve.
    Add lime juice and Ponzu/soy.
    Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until reduced to desired thickness.

Top each serving of salmon with sauce.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

One thing I forgot to mention was using ground almond to coat fish fillets. The ground almond is just a little grainier than dried breadcrumbs and without using egg or flour, just lay the damp fish fillets on top of a plate covered in the ground almond, sprinkle a little more on top, turn them over until all is coated and put them in a frying pan with butter and olive oil to sauté about 4 minutes each side, Yum.
    The taste is great and the almond is also a healthier choice than breadcrumbs.

Almond Coated Perch

• spacific
    16 years ago

Gina, good thread...
    Teresa, I had forgotten about making the glaze. I used the mayo with fresh tarragon and a bit of dijon over salmon last night... yum. That's one of those techniques that works with whatever you have on hand. If you don't have mayo, you can use plain yoghurt or sour cream. And the low fat varieties work just fine if you're keeping things on the light side.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Here are a few more that I love.

Filets de Sole Au Crevettes
    (Fillets of Sole with Shrimp)
    1 lb sole filets (I used haddock)
    1T lemon juice
    1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped
    1 3oz can whole mushrooms, drained (I didn't use)
    1T dijon mustard
    1 tsp cornstarch
    1 c cream
    1 c cooked tiny shrimp, drained
    2 T fine dry bread crumbs
    1 tsp butter, melted
    Brush each filet with lemon juice, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle one side with parsley, cut fish in half lengthwise. Roll each up loosely, parsley side in, secure with toothpicks. Stand rolls up in 9x9x2 baking dish. Cover and bake at 425F for 10 minutes. Drain off juices, remove picks. Press a mushroom in each roll. Blend mustard into cornstarch, stir in cream. Cook over medium low heat until bubbly, add the shrimp and heat through.
    Pour the sauce over the fish. Mix bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the fish rolls. Bake, uncovered 10-15 minutes. Serves 4

6/19/07 My notes: This was so incredibly easy to prepare, and delicious!

Shrimp Dijon 12 oz frozen, cooked, tail on shrimp, thawed 3T butter 1\-1/2 c sliced fresh mushrooms ¼ c finely chopped onion 1 T flour ¾ c chicken broth ¼ c dry white wine 1 T Dijon mustard 1 tsp dried tarragon ¼ tsp paprika ¼ tsp black pepper ¼ c heavy cream In large skillet melt butter, add mushrooms and onion, sauté until tender. Stir in flour, add broth and wine, stirring frequently. Stir in mustard and seasonings. Cook until mixture thickens and is bubbly. Reduce heat and stir in cream and shrimp. Cover and cook 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve over rice.

Alaskan King Salmon
    with Red Pepper Pesto and Basil Butter Sauce

8 - 7oz salmon filets

Red Pepper Pesto:

2 large red peppers
    ¼ c kalamata olives, pitted
    1 T chopped fresh garlic
    1 c parmesan cheese, grated
    ½ c olive oil

Roast the peppers and remove skin and seeds. Place peppers, olives, garlic and cheese in food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add olive oil and blend for 3 seconds

Basil Butter Sauce:

½ c white wine
    1 oz lemon juice
    1 shallot, chopped
    1 T rice wine vinegar
    2T fresh basil, chopped
    1 c butter

Combine wine, lemon juice, shallots and vinegar in medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce by one half. Add basil and reduce to about ¼ cup. Slowly whisk in butter until fully incorporated.

Slice a pocket in each salmon filet, but do not slice all the way through. Put pesto in piping bag and pipe evenly into pockets. Place salmon on greased sheet pan. Bake at 400F for 8-10 minutes or until just cooked through. Spoon 1T basil butter sauce into center of each serving plate. Top each with one salmon filet. If you wish, put a dollop of butter sauce on top of the salmon. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings

[{{gwi:1477611}}](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=275557628) Tilapia Tacos with Chipotle Cream 1 lb fresh tilapia (halibut or haddock work well, too) 1/2 c sour cream 1 tsp chipotle in adobo, finely chopped 1/8 tsp salt 1/2 c onion, finely chopped 1/2 c chopped tomato 3 T snipped fresh cilantro 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tsp ground cumin 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 2 T butter 1 tsp finely shredded lime peel 1 T lime juice 4 9\-10 inch flour tortillas, warmed Fresh lime wedges Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, chipotle & 1/8 tsp salt. In another bowl, combine onion, tomato & cilantro. Set aside. In small bowl, stir together garlic, cumin, 1/2 tsp salt and cinnamon. Rub mixture evenly over both sides of the fish. In a 12 inch non stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add fish, cook 3 minutes. Turn fish and cook 2 minutes more. Break fish into bite size pieces, sprinkle with lime peel and juice. Cook 1\-2 minutes more or until fish begins to flake. Remove from heat. With slotted spoon remove fish from pan and discard liquid. To serve, fill each tortilla with 1/2 c fish mixture, and 1/4 c onion mixture. Top each with 2T of the chipotle sour cream , fold in half or roll up. Serve with lime wedges Linda
  • spacific
    16 years ago

For anyone with frozen shrimp waiting to be used... I made Linda's Shrimp Dijon tonight. Chopped up the onion and mushrooms very fine. Fantastic. 7-yo DS loved it and used up all the rice to soak up the rest of the sauce.

Thanks Linda!

• becky_ca
    16 years ago

This is our current favorite using the rockfish filets my DH brings home from his spear fishing expeditions.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond-Topped Fish

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
    1 small onion -- thinly sliced
    4 fillets fresh or frozen cod or haddock (5 ounces
    each) -- thawed
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/2 teaspoon dill weed
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoons sliced almonds -- toasted

1. Place butter in a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish; place in a 400 degrees F oven until melted. Spread butter over bottom of dish; cover with onion. Arrange fish over onion; sprinkle with salt, dill and pepper. Combine the Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, parsley and lemon juice; spread over fish. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds.

Source:
    "www.allrecipes.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Made 12-7-07 Left out parsley and used pine nuts instead of almonds.

• donnar57
    16 years ago

This is a great thread, as my husband's cardiologist told him to eat fish three times a week, and chicken twice a week. (DH later told me, he doesn't know if he'll start to grow gills or a beak with that much fish and chicken!)

Anyway, a simple enough recipe that I used (nice Heart-friendly recipe):

Coat the fish in Egg Beaters (egg substitute stuff).

Then bread with homemade bread crumbs and cornmeal mixture.

Put on a cookie sheet. (I lined mine with that non-stick foil I was trying for the first time. Wow, clean up was so easy!)

Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes.

Serve with rice and a vegie. Very simple recipe and DH thought it was very good!

DonnaR/CA

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

How did I miss this thread first time around? I too am trying to add more fish into our diet. Hard when you basically don;t like fish! LOL
    Lori's Parmesan Crusted Halibut is a favourites here, I see Annie already posted the recipe.

Marilyn's Salmon Cakes are excellent.

Salmon Cakes

2 Clove garlic minced
    2 Tbl minced onion
    2 Dash Tabasco (or 1 teaspoon Old Bay)
    1 egg yolk (or egg white)
    2 Tbl chopped parsley
    2 Tbl real mayonnaise
    1/2 Tsp kosher salt (less if table salt)
    fresh ground pepper to taste
    2/3 Cup coarse white bread crumbs
    1 Lb fresh salmon
    1/2 Cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
    2or 3 tablespoons olive oil

In a small bowl, combine garlic, onion, Tabasco, egg, parsley, mayonnaise, salt and pepper; set aside. Remove skin and bones from salmon and cut into small cubes (about 1/2-inch); place in a medium bowl and gently stir in bread crumbs. Gently fold egg mixture into salmon and bread and refrigerate at least 2 hours before shaping into 4 patties.
    Carefully coat the outside of each patty with Panko crumbs. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot and add salmon cakes. Fry the cakes until brown, about 4 minutes on each side turning only once. Serve with lemon wedges or your favorite tarter sauce.

*May substitute cracker crumbs or bread crumbs for the Panko.
    Marilyn

One of my personal favourites is Sol Meuniere.

Sole Meuniere

* 1 lemon
    * 4 fillets of Dover Sole, 6 to 7 ounces each
    * Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    * Flour for dredging
    * 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped

1. Cut the lemon into quarters lengthwise. Then slice each quarter wedge crosswise into paper-thin slices. Remove any seeds and set aside.

2. Season the fillets with salt and pepper and dredge them thoroughly in flour. Shake off any excess flour.

3. Heat 4 tablespoons of butter and oil in a large saute pan (fry pan, skillet) over medium high heat. When the butter stops foaming, add the fillets. Cook, turning once, until golden and cooked through. Should take about 5 minutes.

4. Lower the heat and swirl in the remaining tablespoon of butter and the lemon slices. Sprinkle with parsley and season lightly with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the fillets and server immediately.

NOTE: Sometimes I add a few capers with the lemon.

• lowspark
    16 years ago

I'm making fish tonight and remembered this thread, what a wonderful resource!!!

My question: what do you serve with the fish?

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Depends on the fish. No idea why I have these combos entrenched in my head bone but I do

For fresh water fish like, perch and pickerel I want mashed potatoes or fries and veggies like kernel corn, green or yellow beans, peas ...all from a can or frozen! LOL Cole slaw too!

For shell fish like shrimp, crab or lobster I prefer rice or pasta and asparagus as sides along with a mixed baby greens salad with some feta and a balsamic type dressing.

For delicate fish like sole I like garlic mashed potatoes , fresh green beans and/or roasted beets and/or broccoli.

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

Hey, were having fish tonight too! I'm making a hoisin ginger glaze and broiling the fish. I'd love to have some garlic mashed potatoes...but we will probably have some fried rice and asparagus on the side.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Gina:
    Here is a History lesson on " Tiella." It is really very simple to make.
    Using a Pizza Dough. Basically it is like a Pot Pie.
    Use you imagination: Cooked fish w. Olives, sauce, etc.

The last one I had was Escorole with Chopped Calamari.

Escorole with chopped Calimari. I added some Pepperoni.

June 29, 2006
    Tiella Gaeta:
    From time to time I get e-mails from Americans (and I mean Argentineans as well as US Americans) asking for some particular Italian recipe their grandmother used to make. I am happy to help whenever I can, I love those trips down memory lane, but occasionally I feel terribly sorry for not being able to lend my hand in their recipe search. Sometimes it is because, while I know the dish well, I have no idea of how the recipe looks like. Yet more often, I simply have no idea what dish they are talking about: the name might be familiar, but the description of the dish is not. The problem is that Italy simply does not have a national cuisine, but rather a collection of local ones that at times can change dramatically just going over the next hill. So, even for a born and raised Italian like me,m Italy remains an immense cooking school, with a promise of something new around the next road bend.

. I was reading William Black's "Al Dente", a very well written and enjoyable book about Italian food and history, and stumbled upon his description of Tiella Gaeta, the stuffed "bread" typical of Gaeta . Now, I spent many of my childhood summer holidays in the area near Gaeta, so I had heard the name before, but I must admit I had no idea what the dish was. Black describes food in such a delicious way something he definitely has a knack for that I knew I had to get a bite of tiella as soon as I could. I also wanted to learn more about it.
    I did not manage to find much about the history of this dish, but to me tiella symbolises the perfect union of love for food, local ingredients and a practical take to eating. According to some sources tiella was the fare of the local mariners: simple to eat yet delicious. Tiella is essentially two disks of bread dough, brushed with plenty of oil, stuffed with a moderate amount of simple ingredients, sealed and baked.
    You can find similar items throughout many countries whose eating culture is centred on wheat, but tiella Gaetana has a couple of peculiarities that make it unique. First of all, the border sealing the two disks of dough is always wavy like the sea. The dough itself is made without oil, yet the bottom and top of the "bread" should be brushed abundantly with extra virgin olive oil. Finally the stuffing, which has a few rules of its own. The most classic of tiellas is made with octopus, some gaeta olives, tomatoes, parsley and plenty of olive oil, but there are plenty of variations: escarole and olives, escaroles and bacclà (salted cod), anchovies, tiny calamaretti and zucchini and cheese (sheep) are just a few. The purist say that once you cut the tiella into quarters and bite into it, there should be so much oil in the filling that it runs down your forearms. I don't find that particularly appetising, to be completely honest. Traditional recipes can be good, but sometimes there is a reason why evolution is better. On the other hand, I completely agree with the keepers of the Gaetan tradition when they claim that tiella should only be paired with wine, never water. A nice cool wine from Lazio or Campania goes down a treat with it.
    For my taste of tiella, I followed Black's tip and went to Chinappi a tiny and somewhat hidden bakery that specialises in Tiella. It was a difficult choice, but the first go had to be tiella with octopus, which was simply delicious. The oily dough was a delectable container for the filling of sweet tomatoes, firm (but not hard octopus, rich of sea aromas, and the occasional slightly bitter punch of the olive.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

LOUS - Baked Salmon or Crab Cakes

Chopped small , 1/3 cup of : Onion, Celery , Red Bell Pepper and
    Micro wave for 2 minutes. Let it cool .

In a Bowl , put 1 - 14 ¾ oz. can of Pink Salmon or Crab Meat and
    break up larger pieces. ( You can substitute Imitation Crab meat )
    Sprinkle with : Black pepper and add:
    ½ teasp. of Garlic Powder , Onion Powder and ¼ level teasp.of Old Bay Seasoning.
    2 level teasp. of Parsley flakes
    3 heaping tablespoons of Mayonnaise
    Fold and Blend this together with the Onions, Celery and Peppers
    add: 1 cup of Italian Bread Crumbs.

Beat 1 egg and add 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder, beat well.
    Add this to the Salmon mix and blend with a fork ( Just enough to mix it through.)
    If the mix is too wet add a little more Bread Crumbs

Make 6 Balls ( work easy ) and flatten slightly to 4 inches round and ¾ inches thick
    .I baked them on a cookie tin , lined with Aluminum Foil, sprayed with Pam

Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 320 Degrees. Then brush with melted butter and
    Broil on Low for 5 minutes or until a Golden Tan.
    Serve Hot or freeze separated w Plastic wrap , in a Zip Lock or container.

Bon Appetite

{{gwi:1477616}}

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Gina:
    Here is another. Use your Artistic Imagination.

Baked Stuffed Flounder ( Shaped like a fish )

Stuffing:
    In a large mixing bowl put in:
    3 cups of unflavored bread stuffing cubes
    2 cups of flavored bread crumbs
    2 cups of Onions & Celery chopped small & micro waved 2 min.
    !/2 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon of Black Pepper
    1/4 teaspoon Bay seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon of salt
    1 heaping teaspoon of Parsley Flakes
    8 Oz. Package of Imitation Crab meat (Chopped )

Tumble this with a large spoon.

Add 1 egg beaten with a cup of water
    Mix this thru and add more water if needed to make a damp stuffing mix.

Preparing Flounder:

1 small can of Spaghetti sauce
    10 pieces of Flounder Fillets

I lined a 10 X 16 in pan with aluminum foil
    Put half the Sauce in the pan
    Lay 5 pieces of Flounder in the pan a shape like a fish
    Put the stuffing mix on the flounder and shape by hand
    Higher in the center.
    Lay the other pieces of flounder on top of the stuffing.
    Pour and spread the remaining sauce on the Flounder.
    Sprinkle with onion , Garlic powder and Parsley flakes
    Peel an onion an cut in half. Make 1/4 in. slices ( half Moons )
    Lay these of the fish to resemble scales. Put a black olive in for the eye after baking.
    Bake in 325 Deg. oven for ½ hour

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

Gina, thank you for starting this thread. I've been craving fish!

I once had cod cooked in a garlicy saffron sauce with tomatoes, onions and cilantro. I believe it had orange zest in it, too. If anyone has anything like that, please post! It was so good that we asked for extra bread to sop up every drop of the sauce.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

For fairly thick, mild white fish filets (like Cod, Haddock, or Halibut), dredge the fillets in flour, dip in an egg wash, and coat with Panko (coarse, Japanese-style bread crumbs) into which you have grated (coarsly) some fresh horseradish root.

Deep fry or pan fry until golden, and serve with the same sour cream-horseradish sauce one serves with Prime Rib.

I know that sounds like a lot of horseradish, but the grated root loses most of it's heat when cooked, leaving just the flavor. The sour cream horseradish sauce allows you to put a bit of heat on it, but with the creaminess for balance.

My favorite way to make any fish that's firm enough not to fall apart on the grill is to brush it with olive oil, nut oil or sesame oil (depending on the topping) and cook it simply on the BBQ to serve with any number of toppings. Fresh fruit salsas or purees flavored with ginger, garlic, cilantro & hot peppers perhaps. Teriyaki sauce. Lemon caper butter. Mushrooms sauteed in zinfandel butter. Thai peanut sauce. Vegetable salsas like sundried tomatoes with olives, garlic, basil, & sweet peppers or fresh garden tomato & crushed peanuts with marjoram and minced radishes. One of my pickled relishes that I put up all summer, corn relish, carmelized red onion relish, apple relish, jalapeno relish. The toppings are really only limited by one's imagination and what happens to be in the fridge or the garden!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Crabs and Spaghetti Sauce

{{gwi:1477618}}LOU

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Fish Puffs:
    A friend and I went fishing often, in Delaware Bay.
    When we returned to our homes, we cooked the fish.
    Then we would meet and test each others cooked fish and argue about, which was better.

One day we caught a lot of Flounder.
    I decided to make a batter, dip the pieces
    ( about the size of a matchbook )and fry them.
    I seasoned the batter heavy, because it dissipates a little.
    When my fishing buddy tasted them , he declared me the winner.
    Then he tried it and we are still arguing about who makes the best.

Thought I'd share this simple recipe with you.
    All I did was beat an egg,( or as many as you need) add Garlic & Onion powder.
    A pinch of Old Bay, dry parsley, salt and pepper.
    Add enough flour to make a batter (not too thin).

Dry the flounder pieces on a paper towel,
    Dip them in the batter, then into a heated frying pan, with your favorite oil.
    Turn them out onto a paper towel, when cooked. You can cook one piece and taste it.
    Add more spices if needed.
    They really puff up and are great tasteing.
    LOU

• jakkom
    16 years ago

This is a very good thread, but I thought people might also need to keep the issue of mercury pollution in fish in mind. Here's the latest guidelines from their website, along with a link to all the information in .pdf format:

By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.

Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! More great recipes - thank you Lou! I have cut and paste them and will take a closer look later. I have to go to bed now and get up early to drive to my little brother's house. Hey! I think I'll cook fish for him tomorrow.

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

My favorite is blackened tilapia with black bean salsa over brown rice. This is a staple at my house, LOL.

I used Marilyn's blackening spices:
    1 T. paprika
    1 tsp. kosher salt
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. FGBP
    1/2 tsp. dried thyme
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    pinch or more of cayenne pepper
    I dry the fish and coat well with the above spices. It usually covers 4-6 filets with a thick coating. then I cook med high until the fish is done.

Black Bean Salsa
    2 cup shoepeg corn
    1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz.)
    1 large tomato, chopped
    3/4 cup chopped sweet pepper
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/2 cup Italian salad dressing (not creamy)
    1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
    3/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    Ina bowl, combine corn, beans, tomato and red pepper & onion. In a small bowl, combine salad dressing, cilantro, hot pepper sauce, and garlic. Pour over corn mixture and gently stir to coat.

I serve the fish over rice cooked this way: Brown dry rice in a tiny little bit of oil until rice gets a little browned. Then top with Chicken broth and some white wine ( I have no idea how much: I just put in enough liquid that it eyeballs the right amount to soak into the rice.)
    Lindac told me how to do this. It does make the rice a little "nuttier" tasting with a nice texture.
    So, a serve the fish over the rice, topped with the "salsa."
    We really do love this dish.
    I tried adding lots more cilantro and onion and hot sauce when I made this the other night, and ruined it. The proportions are perfect to us as I posted it. A little more hot sauce, perhaps, but not a lot or you won't taste the blackening spices.

• ovenbird
    16 years ago

This is our "go to" salmon recipe...I always get requests for the recipe.

Asian Barbecued Salmon (Chicago Tribune)
    Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Marinating time: 1 hour
    Cooking time: 12 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings

1 salmon fillet with skin, about 2 pounds
    1/4 cup each: dry sherry, soy sauce
    2 tablespoons each: oyster sauce, lemon juice, sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 bunch chives or green onions, minced or slivered
    1/4 cup fresh ginger, minced or slivered
    2 tablespoons oil
    lemon wedges

1. Remove any remaining bones from the fish using tweezers or needle-nose pliers. Combine the sherry, soy sauce, oyster sauce, lemon juice, sesame oil, pepper, chives and ginger in a large shallow non-aluminum dish. Marinate the salmon in the mixture for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.

1. Prepare a charcoal grill. Remove salmon from marinade, scraping the green onions and ginger off the fillet and returning to the marinade. Put marinade into a small non-aluminum saucepan; heat to a boil, set aside.
    2. Brush the grill rack with oil. Grill the salmon 6 inches from the heat source, skin side toward the heat source, covered, until the fish just begins to flake, about 12 minutes. If the grill cannot be covered, place the salmon in a wire fish basket and turn the salmon once during cooking; total cooking time will be about 18 minutes.
      Note: The salmon can be broiled 4-5 inches from the heat source for about 10-12 minutes on each side. I put the salmon skin side down on heavy foil, then flip the fillet when it is almost fully cooked. I'll have to try baking it, ala Ina Garten, at 500° for 12-15 min.
    3. Serve with reserved marinade and lemon wedges.
  • hawk307
    16 years ago

Posted by hawk307 (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 21, 07 at 19:40

Gina: You probably know this but I'll Post it anyway.

To make Ciappino, I use a Marinara Sauce but I usually wing it.

Ingredients :
    1 - 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
    1 cup of Chopped Onions
    1/2 cup of Chopped Green Peppers
    4 Cloves of Garlic chopped small or
    1 teaspoon of Garlic powder
    Spices:
    1/2 teaspoon of Basil
    1/4 teaspoon of Oregano
    1/4 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning
    1 Teaspoon of Salt, add more later to taste.
    1 tablespoon of Sugar for acidity
    1/3 cup of fresh Parsley or
    3 tablespoons of Parsley flakes
    1/4 teaspoon of Black Pepper
    an Italian pinch of Red pepper, if you like it hotter.
    I start with a 28 ounce can of Contadina or Tutto Rosso
    Crushed tomatoes
    I have used San Marsano but they cost a lot more
    and I get the same results.
    Put the Tomatoes in a pot, on the range top and start to
    simmer. Total time about 30 minutes.
    Add a little water if it is too thick, stirring often.

If you burn it, you get the wooden spoon treatment.

Meanwhile : Put the Onions , Green Peppers and Garlic,
    in a Micro wave safe bowl with 2 tablespoons of water.
    Nuke them for about 2 minutes , or until softened a little.
    Then put them into the simmering Tomatoes.
    Add all the spices.

When the Tomatoes have simmered at least 1/2 hour.
    Give them a taste test . Add whatever spices you like.
    I use a lot of Garlic and Parsley in Marinara Sauce.
    I dont cook it as long as Spaghetti Sauce.

Now put in the fishes and seafood of your choice.
    Put in a small can of Minced Clams with the juices.
    Mussels, calms, crabs, Scallops first. Then the faster
    cooking seafood last ( Shrimp, Haddock etc.)
    Add whatever you like
    I forgot the Red Wine.!!!!! Have a glass while you're making this.!!!
    Save me a portion and some bread for dipping.
    LOU

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks Lou for posting your recipes on this thread. I can save the whole thread and have lots if fish ideas in one place!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Chase:
    Thank You. The Salmon or Crab Cakes are great but so are all the others.
    They are tested and pre errorized.

Beanthere:
    We do a Bacala ( Dried Cod ) Stew that is very good.
    I use the Marinara Sauce.
    You have to soak the Cod for about 2 days, changeing the water.
    Then put some Sauce in a baking pan, lay the Cod on top.
    Spoon Sauce over the Cod and add cutup Onions, Potatoes ,Olives, etc.
    Add whatever you like also. Sprinkle Parsley Flakes, Garlic
    and Onion Powder.
    Bake at 350 until the fish is cooked.

Lou

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

I'm afraid I cook way too many UNhealthy fish and seafood dishes because we love them so. But here are a couple that are fairly guilt-free and taste pretty good too.

The first one was submitted by a mom to a school cookbook I helped compile back in the day. Talk about quick and easy! And it's simple to adapt to feed any number needed. Orange roughy is another fish available frozen at Sam's and Costco. Not as good as fresh, but definitely acceptable quality, and it sure is convenient to have on hand when you just can't make it to the store.

BROILED ORANGE ROUGHY

4 orange roughy fillets
    2 lemons
    freshly-ground black pepper
    5 T. butter or margarine, softened
    3 T. mayonnaise
    2 green onions, thinly-sliced
    1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat broiler. Rinse fish and pat dry. (If frozen, place in a colander under cold, running water until thawed. The fillets are usually pretty thin, so it won't take but a couple of minutes.) Place fish in a single layer in a broiler pan, the flatter bottom side facing up, with no overlapping. Sprinkle generously with fresh lemon juice and black pepper. Broil for 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl, mashing well with a fork to mix. Remove fish from oven and carefully turn fillets with a spatula. Spread butter mixture evenly over the uncooked side of each fillet. Return to the oven and broil an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until fish flakes easily when scraped with the tines of a fork.

Note: In case you haven't prepared roughy before, it produces a ton of 'juice' while cooking. This liquid should be discarded.

Since this has such a mild flavor, I often serve it with things like roasted asparagus and sweet-and-sour carrots to give a little flavor punch (and add some color to the plate).

This next one is a slightly-modified version of a recipe I believe I found at the Catfish Institute website. If you want to add more fish to your diet, that's a great source to check out! I've tried a lot of their recipes and have never been disappointed. We live very close to the MS catfish farms, so it's wonderful and fairly inexpensive here. If you don't like it or can't readily get it, you can substitute any firm, white fish.

MEDITERRANEAN CATFISH

1 onion, chopped
    1/2 bell pepper, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 T. olive oil
    1 (14-1/2-oz.) can diced tomatoes
    1/2 c. water
    1/2 tsp. dried basil
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    salt, to taste
    2 catfish fillets

Note: Easily adaptable to personal taste. I usually slice the onion and bell pepper because we like the texture better than chopped. Needless to say, using fresh basil and oregano takes the flavor up a couple of notches! If you enjoy a spicier taste, you can add some crushed red pepper flakes and/or use Rotel instead of regular tomatoes. (Since Rotel cans are smaller, you may need to add a little extra liquid in that case.)

In a large skillet (one with a lid), saute onion, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add tomatoes, water and seasonings to taste. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.

Add catfish fillets, spooning sauce over them. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover skillet with lid and simmer gently until fish flakes easily (approx. 7-9 minutes).

Because this is so juicy, it's especially nice served on a bed of rice to soak up the sauce, along with a tossed green salad and hot French or Italian bread. (A Greek salad is good, too.) I often fix yellow squash as a vegetable side just because the color looks so appealing next to the red and green of the other dishes.

Can't wait to dig into this thread and start trying new stuff!

sm

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

This is an awesome thread. I am frantically cutting and pasting.

• ann_t
    16 years ago

bump

• annie1992
    16 years ago

I really like this thread. I had fish or seafood every single day I was in California and one of the best ideas was the fish taco.

Just cook some fish or use leftovers. I think grilled would be awesome. Wrap the fish in a flour tortilla and top with your choice of toppings, just like any other taco. They were very yummy at Wahoo's and they'd be really easy and pretty healthy too!

Annie

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Maybe I could get a piece of fish into my kids if it was in a taco! thanks, Annie!

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

We have a Wahoo's also and I like their fish tacos. I've only made them once at home with leftover grilled salmon - yummy.

Lee

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

Nice Thread!

Sherry, thanks for the Black Bean Salsa...sounds like one we will like :-)

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Here's another:
    Shrimp Stir Fries w. Spaghetti

{{gwi:1477620}}

LOU

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Ann t...Bump????

Fish tacos, yum, I'd forgotten all about them. At the restaurant, we used to make them with that pre-marinated Cajun Catfish from the grocery store, charcoal broiled and served in a soft flour tortilla with fresh tomato salsa, thinly sliced cabbage and a jalapeno cream sauce...they were a terrific hit at the bar.

I'm not sure what that Catfish was marinated in. My guess would be black and cayenne peppers, salt, paprika, onion & garlic powders, oregano, thyme and maybe some gumbo file powder. Mmmm...I think I'm going to experiment. I guess we'll be having Cajun Catfish Tacos for dinner!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Annie :
    I don't care what you had in CA., because you didn't take me with you.
    I was there before and went into all the Shops and I'm going again soon.
    Then I can show you all the things I did at Laguna Beach.
    I don't get mad, I get even LOL
    XXXXXXXXX LOU

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

Wow,
    Just came upon this thread..we eat a lot of fish...I try to do it responsibly.

I spent the last 1/2 hour looking at the thread that Jessy posted.
    We'll have to use alternatives for a lot of the fish in these recipes, for example, all Tilapia is on alert. So over-fished. A Tilapia has to be 20 years old before it will reproduce. All Atlantic farm Salmon is out. I have printed out the portable list and will now ask country of origin for all my fish-monger purchases. Thanks Jessy!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Here is a dish you can put over Spaghetti.

BAKED STUFFED CALAMARI W. SPAGHETTI SAUCE

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

Here are a few pix of the citrus-baked fish recipe I posted above.

A nice fresh sea bass with the rest of the ingredients:

Ready to go in the oven. I don't like to clean fish pans so used a foil one:

A moist fish dinner for two:

• lowspark
    16 years ago

I ended up combining several ideas from above. Did a dip in almond flour laced with spices (whatever I grabbed out of the spice cab that sounded good), then into egg, then into panko/grated romano cheese. Pan fried. Served with rice & salad. Turned out great. This thread is definitely a keeper!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Gina:
    Do you have enough recipes ?
    We forgot about the " Seven Fishes Post " before Christmas.
    There were a lot of recipes in there.

Jessy:
    Are you behaving?

LOU

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good grief Lou! I'll never have the time to try all these great recipes! I'll just have to retire soon so I can concentrate on important stuff like cooking. I mean it!