Is my dry Pasta still good?
18 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (7)
- 18 years ago
Related Discussions
keeping dem danged bugs out of my dry goods
Comments (25)All of my dry goods go into either these: Lock and Locks or these: Click Clacks I found a set of large lock lock (or some knock off equivalent) at Costco that will hold 5-10+lbs of flour, rice, cereal or sugar when I buy in bulk. I use the round cannisters of various sizes to store sugar, flour, rice, pasta, beans, bread crumbs or anything else that the moths used to get into. I also occasionally put out some of the those sticky moth traps. The traps have been empty for awhile now. The only problems I've really had after using the containers: -flour mites: even in the container I got an infestation of flour mites. As some indicated, this means they were in the flour to begin with. The nice thing was that the mites were contained in the bin so I just had to dump it all and clean the bin and they weren't all over everything else in my dry storage -beetles: when I buy bird seed for my birds it often has beetles and/or eggs. If I don't freeze these first they'll multiply and become evident in a short period of time. However, the containers WILL prevent flour moths and beetles from getting into your dry goods if they aren't already in them....See MoreWho had a good hand-crank pasta roller?
Comments (6)Diane, It may have been me because I do have one. Mine is Hoan, made in Italy. It is not one of the expensive ones but is study and heavy stainless steel. I like it for lasagne noodles and egg noodles, but not so much for spaghetti. I asked a question on line once and they said that you should make the wide noodle, rub it with flour and let it dry some before running it through to make the finer noodles. I haven't made noodles since they told me that, so haven't tried it. I have also found that the recipe that you use makes a big difference in the success you have with the noodle maker. In my old kitchen, it was a hassle to use the noodle maker so I kind of broke the habit and would just roll them out and cut with a pizza cutter. In my new kitchen I have a great place to work, but have only made noodles once or twice. I have had my little manual machine for years. It has no removable parts other than the clamp that attaches it to the table and the handle that slides out so it fits into it's original box. Mine has been used for egg noodles more than anything else. It seems that most of the Hoan machines available now are the big expenisive types. The one that I see that is most like mine is this Roma machine. Mine is old and I think that is about the same price I paid for it years and years ago. I may have bought mine overseas, I just don't remember. Here is a link that might be useful: Roma 6 inch...See MoreStair paint still isn't dry. :( Paintergirl..... ?
Comments (8)Ctlane - How long did you wait until you took the tape off? I had to use a utility knife (I did use frog tape) and it wasnâÂÂt as easy as I imagined. Still going to need to do some touch ups. I did post on the paint forum when I hit a month and it was suggested to call SW. It seemed to get a little better so I just figured IâÂÂd wait it out. Thankfully itâÂÂs only faintly tacky now compared to after I first did it. Our basement is below. Door at the bottom of the steps. We have a dehumidifier running in the basement. It was warm/humid here this summer but not in the house or basement. I donâÂÂt remember it being too bad around Labor Day, which was when I did this. The house temp. was set around 72-74 degrees during the process. ItâÂÂs been about 70 over the past few weeks. I did have a box fan at the steps at first and maybe IâÂÂll dig it back out. With three cats, when I had the big light and fan near the steps they were very nosey and wanted to walk on the area. Put them in a room during the primer and painting processes, put everything away and prayed theyâÂÂd leave the steps along. Thankfully since everything looked normal they werenâÂÂt interested. The can of paint says you can recoat in 4 hours. I was originally going to wait a day. About three days later it was still tacky and I was really getting impatient so I did the second coat while crossing my fingers. I shouldâÂÂve known if the first coat was still tackyâ¦.. I guess maybe it just needs more time. I probably should leave the tape for a while yet. I canâÂÂt believe I wore my sneakers last night while doing that. Stupid. One more question, can or should I put a coat of poly over the treads? If so, oil or water? (probably should wait until theyâÂÂre no longer tacky) Would it add extra protection or do you think itâÂÂs not necessary? Possibly covering up the scuff marks? Someone told me it would make them slippery....See MoreStill Dry
Comments (14)You do have some nice blooms! I have Frankie's FAntasy & really enjoy it even if it is an oldie. Bloom Where You are Planted (what a name!) is nice & ruffley, & I love the pink on Wild Cherry Wine. I've had rain here, not heavy rains but regular, I've not had to water. Still, flowers are misshapen, small, or ground blooms. Crimson Pirate is doing things I've never seen before. I have several clumps of it bunched together, I don't think I've had a single decent bloom from it. Not one I'm that crazy about anyway, but it is a big patch of ugliness this year....See More- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 18 years ago
Related Stories

SELLING YOUR HOUSESave Money on Home Staging and Still Sell Faster
Spend only where it matters on home staging to keep money in your pocket and buyers lined up
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPSKitchen Counters: Granite, Still a Go-to Surface Choice
Every slab of this natural stone is one of a kind — but there are things to watch for while you're admiring its unique beauty
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESBoxwood: Still Shape-Shifting After 350 Years
Wild or mild, the humble boxwood still brings style and order to all kinds of gardens
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNSmall Garden? You Can Still Do Bamboo
Forget luck. Having bamboo that thrives on a wee plot just takes planning, picking the right variety, and keeping runners in check
Full Story
HEALTHY HOME16 Ideas for a Healthy, Feel-Good Home
Making these small tweaks and bigger shifts at home can help you thrive everywhere you go
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES5 Unsung Wildflowers That Thrive in Dry Shade
Turn shady problem spots into garden idylls with with these prolific, easy-care bloomers
Full Story
INSPIRING GARDENSHouzz TV: Curves and Surprises Transform a Dry Backyard
A landscape architect’s decision to build a detached studio leads to a whole new backyard full of low-water plants and salvaged treasures
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES6 Native Ground Covers for Tough, Dry Spots
Sun beating down on your sandy gravel? Thick shade darkening your clay soil? There’s a ground cover here for you
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNDitch the Ordinary Ditch: Create a Realistic Dry Creek Bed
Here’s how to turn your water runoff system into an eye-catching accent for your landscape
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGDry Riverbeds Solve Water Runoff
Spring rains don't have to lead to slides. Dry riverbeds redirect water runoff and add beauty to your landscape
Full Story
User