SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonermagic

Flood in New House - How assess damage & What to do?

soonermagic
16 years ago

We've been in the house for almost two months now and just when I thought we were finally getting settled in ... a plumbing line between whole-house water filter system and hot water heater came loose (at least I think that was the cause) this weekend, and the house flooded. Luckily DH was home at the time and reacted quickly so as to minimize damage. And, Luckily, builder arrived at the house within 5 minutes of DH's phonecall. But, we had water raining down from second floor (where hot water closet is) to first floor, through can light fixtures. Really weird to see lights still on while water is pouring out of them!

Obviously, this will be covered by the builder's warranty. But, I want to know: how do we figure out how extensive the damage is so that we know how much repair needs to be done? There is no visible water damage to the sheetrock in the ceiling, yet we know there was water in the ceiling because it came pouring out of three different light fixtures. The water also had to have gone elsewhere too, but how do we figure that out? Areas of the hardwoods suffered visible damage that will need to be repaired or replaced. What else should we be looking at? Water damage is scary as one always begins to think about the potential for mold. Do you think I need to report this to my homeowner's insurance? We saved all rugs and furniture from the flood, so no personal property was damaged.

I appreciate any other thoughts or suggestions you have.

Comments (15)